1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ever give a knife as a gift?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SW-EDC, Apr 26, 2016.

1. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Bought my Dad several over the years and he EDC's them diligently.
    My brother-in-law however got a Cold Steel Voyager a couple years ago from me with the hope he'd EDC it but unfortunately, he doesn't. He does keep it in his toolbox though..it is pretty beat up now every time he gives it to me to sharpen. He does however tell me he uses a key knife I gave him almost every day so that's cool :star:

2. jaypowell0185

jaypowell0185 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2013
    I gave my brother a delica and a case peanut over a year ago and he still always asks to use my knife. Some people will never learn.

3. CapitalizedLiving

CapitalizedLiving

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes. Never making that mistake again.

4. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I hear ya! I only give now to my Dad and my bud, Tim. Huge knife guys.

5. McBokerson

McBokerson

Aug 3, 2013
    Never know what else to get my dad for his birthday/Christmas, so I usually end up getting him a new ZT or spyderco!

I would never gift a nice knife to most anybody else I know though. Not after seeing how they use them...:eek:

6. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I give Buck 110 as door prizes for customer events. Graduations, birthdays and x Mas as well.

7. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The last time my wife learned that I've given away several thousand dollars worth of knives to family, friends, deployed soldiers and law-enforcement officers...she got mad at me. So, I don't tell her that any more.
    If it floats your boat, do it. If not, that's fine also.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  8. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yes, usually Kershaw or Zero Tolerance knives. Just bought two blurs for my nephews.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

9. KELAMA

KELAMA

Jun 28, 2013
    ^ I wish that I had you, for a neighbor! ;)

Seriously Don, I think that it's highly commendable, the support that you've shown/given to some of our deployed soldiers, & LEO. :thumbup: X1000 I'd be willing to bet, that your generosity has gotten more than a few of these recipients, hooked!

10. BeeKayNutCase

BeeKayNutCase

Jan 26, 2015
    Gave my brother a Spyderco Pacific Salt because he has a boat and loves fishing and is basically useless when it comes to cleaning stuff so I thought a knife that won't rust and that is super slicey would be a good blade for him.

It's the knife that I gave my brother in law that I'm most stoked on. Gave him a BK15 as he is an avid outdoorsman and needed a smallish blade to go with his smallish axe. He. Effin. Loves it! Stripped it, convexed it and patina'd it about 10 minutes after I left. It really set off a little explosion in his head and now he's always talking knives with me and asking what his next purchase should be. He recently got a KABAR Combat Kukri which he stripped and patina'd the moment he got it through the door after which he gave it a mean convexing. Then took it out bush for a few days. He was literally frothing to tell me about it when he got home my sister said.

I love that I've created a monster. My sister? Not so much..

11. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I've given a few away here and as soon as I hit 3000 posts I'll have another GAW.
    Also have gifted a lot over the years. Generally it's something that I didn't quite care for or I monkeyed around with modding or some such nonsense and blemished it in some annoying (to me) way. Folks love them though. Especially the fact that they get free lifetime sharpening with a loaner knife to hold them over till I finish. Don't want to leave my people knifeless.

12. josha840

josha840

Dec 11, 2014
    I've bought a couple to my brother in law. He's 14 now and I'm thinking this is the age when a man developes habits that stick for life! :D

13. Shankenstein

Shankenstein Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Many times. Mom, daughters, sons, wife, grandkids, friends. Shuns, Kershaws, Benchmades, Beckers, Saks, Mora. I love giving knives as gifts, and it's rewarding to see them being used. I will always regret, however, not being able to gift something nice to my dad. Dad was stubborn. He carried an old TL-29 electricians knife everyday as long as I can remember, but he never felt he needed, nor wanted, anything newer or different. That old Camillus served him well for 50+ years. Somehow that beat up knife was lost after he passed, so I gifted myself one to carry, at times, in his honor.

14. tigertaylor1

tigertaylor1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2011
    I am one of those people he is speaking of. Still one of the coolest things ever that I will never forget..from a complete stranger. He actually claimed it from me as I had it for sale and we got to chatting and he told me to go ahead and keep it after he sent the funds. It was right before Christmas too. This was my 11th year of military service I believe. It was a very fitting model being a Spyderco Military.

15. Etna

Etna

Jun 17, 2015
    As a Chinese, I don't give knives as gifts to others, and I don't want to receive a knife as a gift because it is offensive and a hostile gesture.

16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Many times. Opinels, Micras, Cold Steel Kudus, at various times as stocking stuffers for my kids. My grandson, an Opinel No. 6, a Marttiini, and a SAK.

17. Armadew

Armadew Reisloafer

Nov 22, 2006
    Too many to count!

18. Konstantin A-ata

Konstantin A-ata

Jan 6, 2013
    Yes, actually knife is quite common gift from me. Usually it is a medium size Victorinox, or some of my knives that don't interesting me anymore.

19. acphillips3

acphillips3

Feb 26, 2015
    Yes. But only to my dad, mom, and two best friends. My dad and one of the 2 best friends have the knife bug like myself. The other friend just takes care of anything he owns and he appreciates well built products. And my mother just argued that I couldn't get her an girly knife that was any good. She now carries a custom mini grip that's super girly.

20. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I gave a knife to my father and he doesnt carry it. He says the handle is to smooth and slippery. I have given three knives to my brother in law and he leaves one on his night stand, the other was in his car and got stolen and one is rusted.