Ever give a knife as a gift?

I gave my friend a protech tr5 for his birthday and he was so surprised he couldn't talk

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Leeks, Buck 110, opinels. Last time I saw an opinel I gave away it was rusting away in a tool box.

I have given several nice Leatherman's to family members, but as far as nice knives I recently gave two H&K Axis 14715 to guys I work with (Fire Department). I owed them a favor, and I knew both were guys that would appreciate and take care of a good knife.

Every time I see them, both have it in their pockets. And they rave about how much they've used them for with only having to touch up the edge, not re-sharpen them.

Of course I was pretty sure they would like them... As that's what I carry when I am expecting to be doing real work. I first got in to Benchmade with a 940-1(off duty/dress knife now), but wanted something sturdier and a bit less expensive to carry.

Many times but, as Etna pointed out, if giving to people of a different culture- you should ask first.

Cultural sensitivity does NOT mean changing your beliefs, it only means recognizing the right of others to theirs.

I have a Sicilian friend who also says it is custom there not to give a knife as a gift, exchange something instead.

Being an American mutt, I LOVE to receive knives as gifts!! LOL

Bill

Oh, i am not offended in any way. Besides, it won't be a surprise if the younger generation of Chinese may not even hold to those old traditions or cultures anymore since times change. I'm just a little more old school in my conduct is all. :D

As I mentioned right away, I may not understand your philosophy, but I DO RESPECT your opinion. It's not surprising that cultural norms are sometimes very different.

Back