Ever give a knife as a gift?

Many times. Although these days I gift kitchen cutlery much more frequently than anything else. A small percentage of the people I've given quality folders have really carried, used and appreciated them. EVERYONE who cooks, on the other hand, generally tremendously appreciates a quality kitchen knife. Particularly since many, many, many people have never used one.

Many times. Although these days I gift kitchen cutlery much more frequently than anything else. A small percentage of the people I've given quality folders have really carried, used and appreciated them. EVERYONE who cooks, on the other hand, generally tremendously appreciates a quality kitchen knife. Particularly since many, many, many people have never used one.
That is very true. A decent kitchen knife is not that expensive but many people refuse to buy one. I have given a couple to friends and they have used it immediately

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I've given my brother - Rat 2, Skyline, Zancudo, Manix 2 (G10), Spyderco Santoku, Spyderco SE 6" utility knife. In the mail is another "6 kitchen utility knife (PE), and the 4".

Sister - Spyderco Squeak, Spyderco Santoku and 6" utility (SE). She's also getting PE kitchen utility knives in both 4 and 6".

I'm trying to slowly build them each a set of Spyderco kitchen knives.

Brother in law got a Persistence from me, two years ago. Gave dad a Skyline, and he lost it in about 5 days. Then I gave him a Shuffle 2, which didn't last 24 hours before going missing, lol. He now carries a brown Tenacious I gave him for christmas, and it has yet to be lost. :thumbup:

You guy's know it's bad luck to give away a knife, you need to exchange it for coin (a penny will do), at least that's what the old wives tell me.

When my brother turned ten I got him an old timer and he uses it. I'll be gifting my mom a knife for Mother's Day and you guys may see progress on it but she gets to see it completed first. My other who is 14 has a Kershaw brawler a crkt m16 and a schrade knife and never uses them so I wouldn't get him one though he did ask me how to sharpen them surprisingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave my daughters Ladybugs when they were in middle school. They got Delicas in high school. I proudly say that they still have them and carry them in their purses daily. I have gifted knives to all of my nephews and brothers. Gave my mom's husband a Chaparral for Christmas last year, he carries it daily and shows it to me every time I see him. I love gifting knives.

I have "Gifted" away over a dozen or so thru the yrs. John

Several times. What People do With them is none of my business.
If they use them fine, if not their loss I Guess.

It's known around my friends and family that if I'm giving you a gift, it's more than likely a knife. So far I've given RATs, Skylines, Thermites, Kershaw Emersons, SAKs, Blurs and lately I've been giving away Links. I've given pink and purple Chives, Scallions and Leeks to female recipients (if I think that color is important to them). I look for sweet deals on any of the above and buy them before I have a specific need. At any given time I'll have up to a half dozen new knives around for the express purpose of gifting when the occasion arises. I give my wife a new sword almost every Christmas (yes, she loves them).

I don't worry about how much they use the knife after I give it. That's between them and the knife and in no way changes my enjoyment of gifting knives. Of course, you can't gift irresponsibly. I try to make sure that I take into account the local knife laws where they may live.

Bought my Dad several over the years and he EDC's them diligently.
My brother-in-law however got a Cold Steel Voyager a couple years ago from me with the hope he'd EDC it but unfortunately, he doesn't. He does keep it in his toolbox though..it is pretty beat up now every time he gives it to me to sharpen. He does however tell me he uses a key knife I gave him almost every day so that's cool :star:

Perhaps you should buy him a Spyderco Dragonfly or an Alox Cadet. These are small enough not to encumber him and he would get a lot of use out of them, especially the SAK.

I give these often, and very successfully, to non-knife people. I gave my wife a pink Mini Griptilian and she dutifully carried it. However, when she saw one of my Dragonflies, she said, "OOOO, I want that" and that was the last I saw of it. Now she has two. Lesson learned. I gave a guy I know a SAK. He had never had a knife in his life. It is small enough to drop in his pocket and be there if he needs it, along with his other things in his pocket. He proudly carries it everyday, now. He was turned off by bigger knives. These are just two examples of many.

My sons.....they carry them every day! Love it!!
I have a grand total of 1 friend into knives.....he got me into them! Financially not so well off....I've gifted him LOTS!! He'll text me in the morning to tell me which one he's carrying!!
Feels great!
Joe

All the time, to the tune of thousands of dollars worth over the years.

Kinda wish I'd kept that BM42 I gave away, but the lad I gave it to was deserving and will provide a great home for it.

I give Jarbenzas to people I don't like... They get screwed and show me genuine appreciation for it. :D :p

All the time, to the tune of thousands of dollars worth over the years.

Kinda wish I'd kept that BM42 I gave away, but the lad I gave it to was deserving and will provide a great home for it.

I give Jarbenzas to people I don't like... They get screwed and show me genuine appreciation for it. :D :p

I'll vouch for this guy.;) Actually carrying the Spyderco I got from you today.

Given away plenty, Benchmades, Spydercos, Beckers, Kershaws, Gecs, SAKs, ect ect. Nothing super expensive but give what thought they could use or I personally didn't need.

PiOyiZE.jpg

I'll vouch for this guy.;) Actually carrying the Spyderco I got from you today.

Given away plenty, Benchmades, Spydercos, Beckers, Kershaws, Gecs, SAKs, ect ect. Nothing super expensive but give what thought they could use or I personally didn't need.

PiOyiZE.jpg

This makes me the happiest. I love giving away knives here on BFC because I know they'll be used and appreciated.

Now I'd best get to finding another piece to give away. Thanks for the update, Ulf!

This makes me the happiest. I love giving away knives here on BFC because I know they'll be used and appreciated.

Now I'd best get to finding another piece to give away. Thanks for the update, Ulf!

Thank you!!:thumbup::thumbup: It will accompany me plenty, been residing in the tackle box and I'm sure itll get abused and filthy here very soon. :D Been thinking about making some different scales for it. Probably wood. I might have some stuff to GAW here soon too.

Ulf- if you feel a need to give someone their first Busse (& kin) that SYKCO would suit me just fine:D (jk) you guys are all part of what makes knife collecting cool. i give knives to friends and family, even if, as my wife pointedly pointed out, they could afford to buy their own more easily than i can. who cares? i like knives, and i like giving them to folks. 'nuff said.:)
thanks, Neal

yup, sure do! mostly rat 1's because I think they make great EDC'ers, and they aren't all that expensive. I passed a few out just the other day at work. You'd be surprised how many soldiers dont carry a pocket knife these days. Everyone in my squad, I'm happy to say, now does! :D

My best friends son graduated the Police Academy last year. I saw he was carrying a beater knife, so I got him an Emerson CQC-8 for a duty knife. I hope he carries it.

Back