Ever give a knife as a gift?

Ulf- if you feel a need to give someone their first Busse (& kin) that SYKCO would suit me just fine:D (jk) you guys are all part of what makes knife collecting cool. i give knives to friends and family, even if, as my wife pointedly pointed out, they could afford to buy their own more easily than i can. who cares? i like knives, and i like giving them to folks. 'nuff said.:)
thanks, Neal

:D I'll keep you in mind, but chances of me parting with it are about 0. ;) Suits me very well.

Yep, a few, to friends and family members. Most of my immediate family (sisters, dad, uncle) are all into knives as well and have their own collections (very jealous of my younger sister's 1990's Microtechs!) so they can always appreciate a new blade. I really enjoy getting the opportunity to gift them to friends, though. I gave a pretty basic Kershaw flipper to a buddy at work and he was downright effusive about it.

As a Chinese, I don't give knives as gifts to others, and I don't want to receive a knife as a gift because it is offensive and a hostile gesture.

You have an interesting perspective, and I respect your opinion. However, I can only understand it IF you are speaking of knives intended for aggressive use or for personal defense. My knives do not exceed 3.5" in blade-length and are used for daily utilitarian tasks on a daily basis. I use a knife for cutting tape, opening boxes, kitchen uses, cutting sales tags from clothing, and so forth.
I've never had a intent or a need to use it for personal defense. For common protection of my own person, friends, or family members from those who would wish me harm, I carry a concealed handgun, just as our County Sheriff now recommends to citizens who have concealed carry permits.

Hello All . This is my first Posting . My first gift was of a Buck 110 . Given to a Bro , on the occasion of his wedding . These were popular in the 1970's and I also carried one . Other knife gifts over the years have been Swiss Army Knives . In many models and of both Wenger and Victorinox . These to people who mostly didn't carry , but most definently needed one ; as they had borrowed my carry knife . Which at present is a small Sebenza . For us that are older , Isn't the Internet a fun place . Didn't see the possibilities , a little late but glad to be here . Take care .

Hi and Welcome BigFifty. Glad you're here. Yes, there's a fun world of entertainment to be found here; new friendships as well. And..."older" just means that we can add an element of "history" to the subject matter.

I restored a 1950s double bit ax and gave it to my dad. He promptly used it to chop roots in the dirt. Though I did give him a ontario machete, he loves that thing.
Most of my sharp gifts tend to get misused so I keep it to Moras and Bahco Laplanders.

I forgot to mention. I bought 6 of those SOG key knifes and gave my brothers and friends those to try to peak their interest in knives :)

As a Chinese, I don't give knives as gifts to others, and I don't want to receive a knife as a gift because it is offensive and a hostile gesture.

As an American I enjoy giving and receiving a knife for a gift. I do not find it offensive or hostile. I rather enjoy it and find it heart warming from loved ones.

I am one of those people he is speaking of. Still one of the coolest things ever that I will never forget..from a complete stranger. He actually claimed it from me as I had it for sale and we got to chatting and he told me to go ahead and keep it after he sent the funds. It was right before Christmas too. This was my 11th year of military service I believe. It was a very fitting model being a Spyderco Military.

So happy to reconnect with tigertaylor1: a real American hero...many yrs of exemplary military service; deployed in the sand, park ranger, now law-enforcement and happy family man. He has done it all. This fellow is what makes it all worthwhile. I am proud to know him...

Learned that the hard way over here at Taiwan!

I however did gift my dad a Ka-bar and a friend a Dozier, those are nice gift blades!

-Kevin

You have an interesting perspective, and I respect your opinion. However, I can only understand it IF you are speaking of knives intended for aggressive use or for personal defense. My knives do not exceed 3.5" in blade-length and are used for daily utilitarian tasks on a daily basis. I use a knife for cutting tape, opening boxes, kitchen uses, cutting sales tags from clothing, and so forth.
I've never had a intent or a need to use it for personal defense. For common protection of my own person, friends, or family members from those who would wish me harm, I carry a concealed handgun, just as our County Sheriff now recommends to citizens who have concealed carry permits.

I believe you are being unthinking. Chinese culture is not the same as Anglo culture or Spanish culture, etc. Because of their history, some Chinese do not think of gifting knives in the same way as other races and cultures do. I have a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, and other Asian friends so I am probably a lot more in tune with this than you are. Let's not disrespect him, even if unintentional (as I know it is).

On the other hand, you can give me all the knives you want. :D

I believe you are being unthinking. Chinese culture is not the same as Anglo culture or Spanish culture, etc. Because of their history, some Chinese do not think of gifting knives in the same way as other races and cultures do. I have a lot of Chinese, Vietnamese, and other Asian friends so I am probably a lot more in tune with this than you are. Let's not disrespect him, even if unintentional (as I know it is).

On the other hand, you can give me all the knives you want. :D

Oh, i am not offended in any way. Besides, it won't be a surprise if the younger generation of Chinese may not even hold to those old traditions or cultures anymore since times change. I'm just a little more old school in my conduct is all. :D

Many many times! It's one of my favorite things to give people. I'm never surprised how many times people tell me how handy it is they have a knife on them now.

I gave my brother in law a Kershaw cryo on a camping trip a few years ago. He really dug it. Then on the second night at like 3 am we heard some rustling in the bushes so we went to investigate I had a pot and spoon for making noise in case it was a bear.

LMAO standing in my underwear and boots we find out its just a racoon but what is my bil holding? The cryo in stab grip. I started laughing and asked him what he doing with that thing? Run down the racoon and stab it in the head. Throw it at a bear while we pass our pants running away? Hipsters...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Every couple of years I go to Shepherd Hills and pick up a Case or Buck knife for my Dad.

Let's see... I have given away three knives randomly to forum members (not via GAWs) here and other places, and another one in support of a charity GAW here. I have given away one to a co-worker, one to a guy doing some work on the house, one to a nephew, and four to my wife (one of which was a loan that became permanent, one she didn't like and I now have). Not counting kitchen knives which are joint property. ;)

I have also been on the receiving side of some forum kindness and have turned down a couple of well meaning offers just because I have more than enough already. Overall my karmic balance is positive (I have given much more than received) but hopefully the karmic bank balance will help me in other areas if ever needed.

So happy to reconnect with tigertaylor1: a real American hero...many yrs of exemplary military service; deployed in the sand, park ranger, now law-enforcement and happy family man. He has done it all. This fellow is what makes it all worthwhile. I am proud to know him...

Likewise, Sir. I very much appreciate those kind words, truly means a lot.

Back