1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Favorite “cheap knife”?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by torqueguy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I have a lot of cheap knives I really like and have used a ton. Moras and Cold Steel Tuff Lites jump to mind. I've used a Kershaw Tremor that I paid $12 for now for years and years, and it's still trucking.

Recently, I'm loving two relatively inexpensive purchases, a Civivi Naja (~$40) and a crazy sale priced Cold Steel Golden Eye Elite (~$60) that I didn't expect to like nearly as much as I do.

DocT, onionfan and Cosmodragoon like this.
  2. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    Cheap is a relative term, but lately I’ve been carrying my Kershaw dividend m390. Think it was around $70 but for the Money it’s hard to beat. I’ve been abusing the hell out of it, prying etc, and it’s holding up very well

3. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    Here are some inexpensive knives I have. The Buck 703 stockman, on the far left was about $22 shipped. The Ranger stockman, next to it was about $20 shipped. The other two were each $10 shipped. All of them good solid knives, with sharp blades.
    [​IMG]
    My favorite inexpensive (cheap) knife is this one. About $8. I got it last Sept. It sharpened up easily. So I stuck it in my pocket to see how well it stayed sharp. It holds it's edge, well and I'm still carrying it.
    [​IMG]

O.B.

4. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    It certainly is. I saw this as a $20 exception thread! I rather like the m390 Dividend. I carried a fancy Leek around the office for years and this was a good replacement. Tip down with a deep-carry loop-over, it sits nicely in the pocket of a canvas dress shirt opposite my pen. I only open letters and such with mine but no complaints. :D

The Naja has been my casual EDC for months now. If I'm wearing jeans or cargoes, I'm carrying the Naja. It feels great in hand and slices like a champ. :thumbsup:

onionfan likes this.
  5. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    US or overseas? I love the American version. One of my all-time favorite folders. I wish I could find another at a reasonable price.

I would have to agree with you except for the rotten heat treatment CRKT offers.

onekerf likes this.
  6. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    Totally forgot about the Naja. Bought one last year around black friday for $35. That and a Praxis to give my brother in law. Civivi makes most other knives in the price range (and many above) look rough. Haven't got a WE yet but I'm sure I will.

Cosmodragoon likes this.
  7. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I have so many great "cheap knives". I don't know which I like the best, but this is definitely a standout.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Most of my knives are cheap. My favorites remain the Opinels and the Moras. The knives I usually carry are Opinel No.6, SAK Alox Electrician and Okapi Biltong. The $8 Rough Rider Improved Muskrat is a long-time favorite.

GIRLYmann and Grateful like this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I think the most I've payed so far is about $60 so I guess most of my knives might count to a lot of people here, but most recently it would be the Rapala 4" fillet for $12 or the 110lt for $20 ( still love my classic but the LT is amazing for the price )

onionfan and GIRLYmann like this.
  10. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    My Rat 1 or BM Pika.Otherwise my various $20 axis lock clone Ganzos

11. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    Fixed blade: Mora Basic 546
    Folding: Victorinox Swiss Army

jackknife and GIRLYmann like this.
  12. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    I admit to being guilty of getting
    drawn to quality products on the
    cheap; and just how easy it is to
    become firmly stuck with deep
    familiarity to certain brands.
    Such products have the effect
    of leaving one with little or no
    encouragement whatsoever
    to go beyond the price range of
    standard budget priced products which
    serves the needs of the frugal minded.
    There may be fancier or "better"
    products out there, but imho, opinels and
    moras are adequate and dependable
    old standbys that will work even in the
    most trying of situations.
    It may be seen as a terrible decision
    or even one that is foolhardy to stake everything with cheap knives, but i don"t figure paying much more than one which can provide a standard lasting knife performance .

13. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    Stuff I've bought used mostly. A lot of older ladies have stuff from husbands that have passed away and let it go very reasonably priced. Another is a super cheap but surprisingly good Wallyworld knife branded Ozark somethingorother with a G-10 handle I paid I think $4 for. The aforementioned Opinels and SAKS are always good, Mora too. I tend more towards old patterns and vintage-woodscrafty type belt knives so it's not hard to sort through flea market and second hand store bins and find a good old kitchen knife to tinker with.

14. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    The Kershaw Link is probably one of the best “Bang for your buck” folders I have ever seen. It has a nice sturdy feel to it, made in the USA, snaps open with force, and 420 hc is a decent budget folder steel.

tony281sc2 and Cscotttsss like this.
  15. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Teräväs are great deals, as are some Bucks IMO.

Very nice. Now I want one.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  16. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Opinels are some of my favorites. They remind me of my youth and skinning rabbits with my friend's mother who showed me how with an old No. 8. So I have a few in various sizes. Another one I like are Svörd Peasant and Mini Peasant knives. The steel seems good and the rough and ready finish (not to mention the price) make them a great choice for dirty work.
    [​IMG]

marchone likes this.
  17. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Dexter Russell, Giesser, Mora Frosts, Tramontina and Victorinox Fibrox all offer solid choices in inexpensive everyday working class tools.

18. vigourik

vigourik

Oct 29, 2011
    The Byrd Meadowlark. I like it more than Delica, because it has the choil, g10 scales in a regular version and the steel backspacer.

19. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    This has to take the cake, I paid $15 I think?

I own a lot of cheap Kershaws and this one is by far the best and a lot cheaper than any of the others I own. I've not bought a Kershaw in years as I've moved on to more expensive folders but this one is still a great user for around the house or yard.

[​IMG]Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

Lapedog, tony281sc2 and marcus52AR like this.
  20. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    As per my previous post; just checked Knifecenter. I know they have been making them for a long time but $54 for a quality American Buck 119 is a good deal.
    $23 for a Buck LT is downright cheap.

Teräväs for around $30 is a bargain for a strong no-nonsense knife.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.