Favorite Quotes from non-knife people.

A few years back I worked a short stint at Lowe's and I got into a conversation about axes with a an old timer who used to do a lot of forestry survey for logging crews and he told me about the old Collins machete that he always used and how he figured that it must have "lost all the carbon by now" and that he'd have to "re-carburize it." I asked him to explain it to me, and he told me with a straight face that steel lost carbon when it got old and he'd take his machete and heat it red hot with a torch and then sprinkle borax on it to put carbon back in it. A living case of old, nearly mythic, superstition with edged tools. I just smiled and said "that's very interesting!" I owed him for the excellent conversation and he was clearly set in his ways. :eek::p

"Why do you carry a knife?" is a pretty popular one.

"Why do you have so many knives?"

And then...:eek: <--- That face when I flick open any knife. Spyderco, assisted opening, anything with a smooth action and thumbstuds, etc. Pure terror.

And then my wife, "Why do you need another knife? You already have one."

How bout this...
Q.Why do you have a knife
A. Well I enjoy how it relates to my philosophical viewpoints.:D

It's always fun to be asked why I have to carry a knife by a person who is struggling to use their car keys to cut open packing tape.

" if the saying “ignorance is bliss” is true then there are people in this world that live in a constant state of orgasm.
I'm stealing this quote. I love this.
Q."How many knives do you need"
A."I'll let you know when I find out."

I have to say, in a desk job you barely need a knife. I don't think I used my EDC last week during office hours.
So I have no problem with my friends or colleagues asking "what do you do with it" - I just say that sometimes it comes in useful.
Mind, my EDC tends to be a Victorinox or a small Sebenza, meaning nothing really intimidating. I would get different reactions were I to EDC in the office my monster Pohl Force Alpha series folder. Even so, my friends are amused when I use that one or a Military or so during a bbq.

I was in Staples last weekend and I am checking out. The young woman at the counter asks me "Don't knives have to be as long as the width of your hand or something?" I look over and a guy had just walked in with a five or six inch fixed blade in a leatehr sheath attached to his belt. I said, "you have nothing to fear from that man." She still seemed nervous, so I did not pull out my ZT 0301 to show her. lol.

I was hiking on a trail lass summer and had my Bravo-1 strapped to my butt pack. A guy with his wife passes me and my wife and asks me, "whatdaya gonna do, stab your wife with that thing?" I thought WTF? I stopped and we chatted with the couple, seemed like nice people. Turns out the guy is an Army vet, hunts, fishes, etc, so I show him the B-1. His only comment was, "yeah that is sharp". So I said, yeah, it helps when you try to cut stuff. :rolleyes: I have to remember, this was on a paved, publice hiking, biking trail through the woods, so not a wildnerness locale at all. I just don't see the need to change the contents of my pack when mixing with sheeple. I didn't tell him what else I had in the pack. None of anyone's business.

Last edited:
I tried to share my extension cord at a meeting this week with a lady who needed to plug in her laptop. She went to plug it in and couldn't because her power supply had a three pronged plug. "No problem" sez I as I gently unclip my Para 2, open it one handed and slice off that annoying little tab they mold into the top of extension cords to prevent you from using grounded plugs, "That's why we carry pocket knives."

She was gracious enough to say nothing more than "thank you" but I could see a somewhat shocked expression as I did it. This lady has a doctorate in education. I cannot even begin to imagine what she thought, but I doubt it was complimentary based on her open-mouthed look when she saw my Spyderco. I'm glad I added the part about it being a "pocket knife". Sometimes calling it a pocket knife stops others from saying "weapon".

"why do need a knife, i dont need a knife"

and than 45 minutes later i hear

"hey? wheres the guy with the knife?"

"I don't need a knife. I just use my keys."
"Aren't you concerned that your keys won't work one day because you've worn down the teeth?"
"Pffft! No, I have a spare set at home."

:rolleyes:

My work instituted a safety policy that bans the use of personal knives for work. Instead we have to use these:
images
Or these with gloves:
images
Of course I carry at least three knives and usually get the statement ( You're not supposed to use that here.) My reply is : " When the safety co-ordinator decides to cut my steak or porkchops I brought for lunch on demand for me I'll leave 'em at home."

SEMPER-FI TIL I DIE

A few years back I worked a short stint at Lowe's and I got into a conversation about axes with a an old timer who used to do a lot of forestry survey for logging crews and he told me about the old Collins machete that he always used and how he figured that it must have "lost all the carbon by now" and that he'd have to "re-carburize it." I asked him to explain it to me, and he told me with a straight face that steel lost carbon when it got old and he'd take his machete and heat it red hot with a torch and then sprinkle borax on it to put carbon back in it. A living case of old, nearly mythic, superstition with edged tools. I just smiled and said "that's very interesting!" I owed him for the excellent conversation and he was clearly set in his ways. :eek::p

Next time I get questioned about "why do I have a knife" I'm going to use this. Don't worry, it's old, it's probably lost all it's carbon. It's like a magic spell, it will just confuse those that are already uninformed.
How can the average person know any thruth about knives when there's a slew of misinformation, myth, and murder stories surrounding them? Each of us can try to be a good example of the knife community, but often it will be overshadowed by the next negative news story or prosecutor trying to win his case.

Had a couple from last week.......

"Do you always carry that with you?" (from my co-worker) :p

"Another one? Didn't you just buy two knives a few days ago?" (from my friend with one knife and no job) :yawn:

"I would never pay that much for a knife." Someone was talking about my Yojimbo 2.

"So, do you collect knives?'' After I show someone my display case containing around 20 High end folders.

"Did you cut that?" Seems everyone comes and asks me this question if anyone where I work has poked or cut something such as a chair or peice of furniture.

Of course, your wife would never understand it if you said "you don't need another purse, you already have one." :D
"Why do you carry a knife?" is a pretty popular one.

"Why do you have so many knives?"

And then...:eek: <--- That face when I flick open any knife. Spyderco, assisted opening, anything with a smooth action and thumbstuds, etc. Pure terror.

And then my wife, "Why do you need another knife? You already have one."

At work one night one of the guys was trying to cut his Quesadilla with a plastic fork and it just wasn't going well at all as you would expect so I handed him my Spyderco Stretch so he could cut it.

All he said was I don't neeed that Murder Knife and continued to hack at his food with that plasic fork and tearing it with his hands.

Back