Favorite Quotes from non-knife people.

"This here smith and wesson will do everything your 150 dollar knife will do then some." few weeks later the guy has a huge bandage on his hand and no pocket knife, I never asked but i knew what happened. he took the extra cash he saved from buying a cheap knife, and spent it at the DR. getting stitches when his knife failed on him.

Or Why spend so much for a knife, It's only used to cut things?? I reply with What kinda gun do you carry, he replies, Kimber or a glock, I say ok, why not carry a HI point or other cheaper fire arm, he replies because i'm not trusting a gun like that. I say ok what kinda tools are better Craftsman or the made in China specials ?? he says Craftsman of course. I say ok same applies to knives you get what you pay for, you may buy a $20 knife but in your lifetime how many $20 dollar knifes are you gonna buy?? Why not buy 1 good knife, then it would probably end up being cheaper for you than all those cheap knives put together, and you would actually have a warranty if you broke your knife you could get a new one. <------ I use this line all the time and i have made a few people see the light lol

"why do need a knife, i dont need a knife"

and than 45 minutes later i hear

"hey? wheres the guy with the knife?"
That sums it up. I don't know how many times this has happened to me. Another example of the same mentality. I used to always carry and listen to a handheld scanner. Coworkers/friends would always make fun of me. All kinds of names from wannabe, survivalist, geek, that kind of thing. Anything but "so you're interested in what goes on around you" the actual reason. With out fail and EVERY time a fire truck or cop drove by with siren on, guess who came running? "Hey what's going on?" with a dead serious face. Basically with these people it is ridicule/criticism when convenient then shameless groveling when they need something.

A friend of mine and I were talking about our knives before church this morning (He had an orange handled ritter-grip and I have my manix2). Another guy came up and asked my friend if that was "some kind of ultimate survival knife, or something - for when the zombies come?" He played along and said "yeah, sure, something like that." I had to suppress a snicker, though.

A classmate told me once the victorinox he had got dull so often because it was so hard, which made the edge brittle. When I asked him how that would be possible with a carbon percentage below 0.1% he told me he knows nothing about that. The worst part is that we both are on a machining school!

And of course the "that's illegal you know, I should know, I'm in the boy scouts." and other uneducated legal opinions. I even carry a photo copy of the specific page of the Dutch book of laws.

"Whats that a buck knife" ? many people think its the only brand that exists...

My favorite is, "Wow, that's sharp!" nice runner up is, "Why do you need such a sharp knife?"

Though one of my more bite-my-tongue moments was during Christmas when a relative of mine was showing me his knew knife. Nothing really bad, but one of those hardware-store display case knives from an upstart company. Long story short, he opens a present up with it and says, "Nothing like a knife edge when it's brand new." Just wanted to say, "Except when you sharpen it."

+1

Haha! Classics :D

A lot of what people have said sums it up pretty good. Although, I HATE getting the "a knife is a knife"/ "it's not worth the money"/ "why would you pay THAT much for a knife?" comments. Makes my blood boil. People just don't understand. I usually draw a parallel to something like cars. "So if a knife is a knife, then a car is a car...your mothers Dodge Caravan would then be the same as a Lamborghini LP670-4SV (kudos if you know that car :D )" " Think of this knife as the Lamborghini of knives" ....they usually get the idea. I also get a kick out of opening any manual knife and hearing someone say "Woah! Is that a switchblade?!" :rolleyes:

When someone says, "Why do you have such a sharp knive?" I'll say, "Because the dull ones are too expensive." Really just makes them mad, but I still say it.

I got this from my mom upon showing off my BK9...
"ARE YOU F****** CRAZY? WHAT DO YOU NEED A KNIFE LIKE THAT FOR?"
Me: "Cutting stuff?"

At work one night one of the guys was trying to cut his Quesadilla with a plastic fork and it just wasn't going well at all as you would expect so I handed him my Spyderco Stretch so he could cut it.

All he said was I don't neeed that Murder Knife and continued to hack at his food with that plasic fork and tearing it with his hands.
Order a quesadilla yourself, cut it up into neat little pieces effortlessly, then proceed to wolf it down all the while making loud noises exaggerating how tasty it is:thumbup:.

Yeah I have noticed that the people I get the questions from, not so much the funny lines from those who lack thorough insight, are the people who view knives less as tools and more as weapons or dangerous/illegal items. Which is funny, because 90% of the people I hear these things from are those that I work with or around, meaning a big part of the military, the MILITARY, has an anti-knife mindset, or is naive to the real depth of the blade lifestyle.

You must work around alot of military support personel. As an infantrymani you are out of uniform without a knife as with most combat arms personel.

I don't really ever hear anything out of the ordinary. Just the usual "why do you need a knife", "how much did it cost", "you paid THAT much? i got mine for $5", "are you planning on stabbing someone?"

Yeah I'd love to stab someone with a mini trapper. :thumbup:

A boss of mine always made fun of me for bringing a knife to work. I usually brought a Victorinox but I don't remember the model, it has a philips head and LED light in the middle row. I used it to open the mail, open up computer towers, open packages, and cut whatever needed to be cut, which happened frequently. He always made fun of me for having it but of course he'd come running to me if he needed something cut.

Knives are a hobby and carrying a knife isn't something most people consider, so it's just like any other niche activity. I have no desire to scuba dive so I would be surprised at the amount of money people are willing to spend on that activity. Same goes for people who collect watches, pens, electronic gadgets, shoes, purses, coats, belts, coins, stamps or whatever tickles their fancy. If someone told me they paid $500 for a stamp I'd probably have the same reaction a non-knife enthusiast would upon hearing someone paid $400 for a Sebenza. A girl I worked with told me she just bought a $600 purse. I asked her if she was out of her !@#$ mind. A purse for $600? I asked her what it did that her other dozen purses couldn't do. She said "but it's Coach!!" or whatever the brand was. I suppose the difference with knives is that unlike so many other hobbies lots of people tend to think that all knives are dangerous killing tools. I work on people around me to change their views. Sometimes it works.

to the question' "Why do you need a knife?"

"God gave animals cutting tools in their paws or teeth to cut things but he gave us brains to make our own. Since I am a man and NOT an animal, I have to carry something to cut things needing to be cut."

I make a lot of combat and military blades that are NOT shiney as well as some more traditional asian (Japanese especially) blade craft. My wife hits the ceiling when morons come by and comment, "Looks like a bunch of prison shanks." to which I always reply, "What in your experience do you draw this wealth of knowledge from?"
They either tell me about their time in prison (No they don't ...none yet have that say anything so stupid cause they know right away prison shanks are crap) or they say "I have never spent time in prison". Then I say," So....you have no clue what you are talking about then, right?"

My favorite-
"You should never take a knife to a gun fight" (from a firearms instructor).
I asked to see his twin .357 pythons under his armpits.....he complied and I emptied them out and returned them to him. "When I say 'go!" you draw and try to fire at me. I took a marker from the counter in the reverse ice pick grip and then proceeded to push up against his chest and mark his arms and neck with the marker. He could not get a firearm clear from the holsters.
"Why didn't you say 'Go!'?"
"A real fighter would never tell you that. He would just cut you to crap, leave you to die, and take your matched pythons as gifts to his kids to use as hammers on rocks."
I have little time for stupidity from those teaching others....but I was taught to be nice to those in other martial arts and help them grow. :D

A coworker and former LEO asked me recently for some recommendations to replace his old favorite duty folder that he had lost. Being a fixed blade guy i told him my folder knowledge was limited, but i told him what i knew and suggested a few brands i have owned, Benchmade, Spiderco ETC; and suggested a few for him to research. I see him a week later and ask him if he chose one. He remarked that he looked at my suggestions and i was crazy if i thought he was going to spend that kind of money on a knife....and showed me his new $20.00 cabellas sale special.

And then he asked me to sharpen it.... :mad: really!!!!

Was doing some IT work for a friend of my wife and ended up leaving my Buck Vantage Pro at her shop ( :eek: ). Later that evening she calls me up and says "you left your weapon here" :confused::rolleyes: Like I left a handgun there or something. :D

my favorite one is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HES GOT A KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Order a quesadilla yourself, cut it up into neat little pieces effortlessly, then proceed to wolf it down all the while making loud noises exaggerating how tasty it is:thumbup:.

Next time I might. :D

A guy where I worked has an old Gerber knife that he found in the dirt when he moved into his house.. it's rusted, hardly opens, major blade play, and dull as hell.. he swears by Gerber though, thinks they're the best things in the world and high-end knives.
I've shown him a couple of my knives, PM2, Emerson CQC-15, ZT0350... his usual response is, "..but I can buy 50 of these for the price of that one." ... makes me laugh.
He also gets very pissed off and tells me that I "..need to do more research" when I tell him that Gerber doesn't make the high-end, top quality knives he believes they are. :D

I was telling my step Dad about how much I hate this CCC knife I had ages ago and he opens it and says "Actually this is smoother than some of my high end knives like my Gerbers"

Back