Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Veeteetee, What is that stuck into Arvo Kuivanen's right boot? Does not look like a puukko, maybe a short file to re-sharpen the edge of his axe? John

Too difficult to say, the picture is scanned from printed book and the quality of the print work is not great:(

Whatsit.jpg

These are not early, but comtemporary axes: two camp axes by Martti Malinen https://hanhiniitty.fi/sepan-paja/. Martti is one of the few blacksmiths still making axes by hand in Finland.

The lower / shorter / lighter one I bought as gift for myself, the second one I just got for 100 (!) euros plus shipping at a Finnish net sales site:)
DSC0853.jpg

The head on the latter was slightly abused i.e. "sharpened" freehand on a grinding wheel:( However, no irreparable damage was there, an hour´s work with hand stones solved most of the issues and the rest will be totally removed as the axe is used and resharpened.
DSC0844.jpg

"In this video I try to forge a Finnish style collared axe.
I really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot during the filming of this video.

Enjoy!
/Nils"

Bob

He skipped a lot of hammer blows at 1:57. The film shows several attempts at forging the various pieces. I'm good with that. I couldn't do it. His anvil must be at least 500-600 pounds. It's a bigun!

Super cool video and incredible work! Thanks for sharing.

Strictly speaking this might OT as the axe in question is not Scandinavian style, but certainly of Scandinavian origin: a small fire axe by Billnäs Bruk from the year 1899 i.e. it is 124 years old.

The spike has been cut at some time and the axe seems have been extensively used as a small square faced hammer.
DSC1896.jpg

The left side carries the Billnäs Bruk stamp and below that the same in ruZian:

DSC1899.jpg

The right side is stamped 1899:
DSC1906.jpg

good afternoon gentlemen, yup, new to the forum. came upon it late last year when i was digging for info on the kelokoski axe. last fall when i was in the motherland, my cousin's husband gifted me a kelokoski 12/3 axe head. yeah, i'm going to find out how worthless a man i am when i start to make the handle for it. regarding that, post #18 of this thread shows some prints n i'd like to get my grubby paws on them. are they in a book? are they just sheet form? if it's a book, what is the title?
thanks for your time

Do you why the users of this style axe prefer such a closed hang? Are they mostly bucking wood at ground level?

That is the traditional method in Finland and presented in all old manuals, but none of them explains the reasoning behind this.

This one is from "Metsätyömiehen työkaluopas" ("Foresters tool guide", 1948)
Mets-miehenty-kaluopas098.jpg

Back