Recommendation? First folder EDC

You should take a look at these Spyderco dealer exclusives, all currently available...

BladeHQ Para 3 Lightweight CPM M4 Satin / Mint Green FRN
Cutlery Shoppe Native Chief CTS-XHP Satin / Orange G-10
Cutlery Shoppe Native Chief CTS-XHP DLC / Orange G-10
KnifeCenter Para 3 Cruwear DLC / Smooth Black G-10
KnifeJoy Paramilitary 2 20CV DLC / Lime Green G-10

Not a fan of food and folders.
Stuff gets stuck in the works and try as you might, there's always seems to be some bit of food that rots and turns nasty.

The reverse is also true.
Pulling a blade out of my pocket, and finding a bunch of pocket debris in the works, doesn't do much for the old appetite.

Having said that - the best food knives will be "slicers" and the best all-around knives (EDC) will have a more robust geometry.
I use a disinfecting wet wipe before and after each food prep. Scrub the blade until there is nothing left and then again with a clean part. So I'm not affraid to both.

I already looked at the CRK, but I tough they would be in the... "ultra high-end"? The kind of price that increase significantly for minor upgrade?

Just an impression though, I don't know much about folder
Yeah…. I think it’s a bigger upgrade than your thinking. CRK has built a reputation for being a lifelong knife companion for many reasons. You still will get great performance and longevity out of Spydercos, I would lean more towards the Manix or Shaman after thinking more about using it for harder tasks outdoors.

My vote is for a spyderco Manix 2 - IMO they're best overall model. the locking mechanism is similar to an axis lock as well, but I feel that it is stronger (I can't recall any testing, but it might be out there). Really any steel should be fine for the tasks you're describing, but perhaps a stainless would be better as you wouldn't need to do much other than wipe it off after food prep. Pretty sure you could score a 20cv relatively easily.

Nobody ever said that you had to stop at a single EDC knife...
Happy Shopping!
I'm bouncing back and forth between a couple of offerings from WE, a Benchmade Mini-Grip, and any number of old Schrade Walden knives...
With more still coming!

My vote is for a spyderco Manix 2 - IMO they're best overall model. the locking mechanism is similar to an axis lock as well, but I feel that it is stronger (I can't recall any testing, but it might be out there). Really any steel should be fine for the tasks you're describing, but perhaps a stainless would be better as you wouldn't need to do much other than wipe it off after food prep. Pretty sure you could score a 20cv relatively easily.
The Manix 2 is one you really can't go wrong with. If its too heavy, they also have the lightweight FRN model. I have a customized sprint in CTS-XHP that is one of my favorite knives. I too agree that the CBBL lock seems stronger than an axis lock. Definitely more durable.

Here's mine, with a MXG Ti deep carry clip and Ironwood scales, as these kinds of threads need pics!

M3Ei69v.jpg

The Manix 2 is one you really can't go wrong with. If its too heavy, they also have the lightweight FRN model. I have a customized sprint in CTS-XHP that is one of my favorite knives. I too agree that the CBBL lock seems stronger than an axis lock. Definitely more durable.

Here's mine, with a MXG Ti deep carry clip and Ironwood scales, as these kinds of threads need pics!

M3Ei69v.jpg
Next time I'm at my home computer I'll try to remember to post manix here. I can't seem to figure out a way to post pics from my phone that don't get error messages.

Yeah, the wallet and the wife might disagree... 😶
Funny, most come and say "oh price is no issue I just want one good one" then its "wait what 650? Pesos? That's too much!"

Plenty of Elmax…and better yet Vanax 37 in the Shirogorov line. As a first folder that would be a bold move .
You're insane :p start the new member off easy with an M-Tech or something comon

You should always start out nice and slow... it'll give you some knives that you won't mind getting rid of at a later date!

Read this and get back with me.

I still like a Swiss army knife for food prep as I think it cleans up easier. There is a single bladed sentinel if you still want that normal sort of knife. But I use the picnicker for the extra tools.

All of them will whittle a piece of wood.

The less that happens in a knife the better for food prep in my opinion. Hence people say fixed blade.

So less tools is generally better. No pocket clip is better and no grip is better for that specific circumstance.
You know, I was about to say "nice try but I'm sold Leatherman" but after looking at the larger SAK, I found the almost perfect complement to my leatherman project.

My most used tool right now is the blade and the scissor, leatherman making "badly" the later. I though victorinox didn't make big scissor but I was wrong.

I will go with the rangergrip 71 gardener. I didn't plan on a multitool, but it's just too spot on my need to pass.

I just have no idea how the "Inox" stainless from victorinox compare to the 420 stainless from leatherman. As long as it's not worst, it will be fine for me.

Food prep?
You can even fill your belly with this handful! 😁

Attachments

• 20210801_093726.jpg
    20210801_093726.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 2
I see I'm not the only one that instantly thought of a fixed blade based on the original post. Any task that makes you question the strength of your lock is not a task for folding knives.

That said, making feather sticks is pretty mild. It's also a task that benefits from a thicker blade. The overwhelming majority of my EDC use benefits from a thinner blade. If you think of a blade as a wedge, thinner is better for passing through materials. Thicker is better when you actually want it to work like a wedge.

You might consider the Para 3 from Spyderco in S45VN. It has a 0.15" blade stock. Edge retention should be between S35VN and S30V. It has excellent corrosion resistance, better than S30V, S90V, or S35VN but not quite as stainless as 20CV. Generally, I'd take Spyderco over Benchmade any day of the week.

I've got a Para 3 on the way. I'll let you know how it works for me; after I've logged some whittlin' time with it!

Back