[FIRST LOOK] ZT 0566 (or, so you wanted a smaller 0560?)

Thanks Jimmer for the updates, really looking forward to this one being my new EDC.

I love my 056x's and am looking forward to this offering. Framelock question since I am more of a fixed blade, traditional, axis lock guy. I have lots of moaning about the framelock being steel and not titanium. I have also heard that steel to steel lock ups have less wear on the framelock than titanium. Other than weight and perhaps cool factor, is there any downside to a steel frame lock?

Also, can you confirm that the speedsafe can be removed easily in this model.

Thanks. Pete

Anyone know if when you preorder a kershaw or ZT, will it say First Production on the blade being the first batch? I know Benchmade does it and when I pre-odered a knife, it came with it and it bugged me so much I returned it. I'd hate to pre-order this and return it. Anyone know?

Anyone know if when you preorder a kershaw or ZT, will it say First Production on the blade being the first batch? I know Benchmade does it and when I pre-odered a knife, it came with it and it bugged me so much I returned it. I'd hate to pre-order this and return it. Anyone know?
I don't think so with ZT. I haven't seen anything. I've seen "First Production 1 of 500" on R.A.M.'s and Skylines, but that's it.

Nah, we're too lazy to do anything like that! :)

In all seriousness, there were a few knives in the past that were marked that way, but nothing in the last few years, and I don't see that changing.

Is there a black pocket clip from another model (the Echelon, maybe) that will fit the 0566?

I love my 056x's and am looking forward to this offering. Framelock question since I am more of a fixed blade, traditional, axis lock guy. I have lots of moaning about the framelock being steel and not titanium. I have also heard that steel to steel lock ups have less wear on the framelock than titanium. Other than weight and perhaps cool factor, is there any downside to a steel frame lock?

Also, can you confirm that the speedsafe can be removed easily in this model.

Thanks. Pete

My guess is the only downside of steel other than weight would be that it could rust, which I don't see as an issue. I am looking forward to the 566 with the steel framelock just so I don't have to worry about wear on the lock. Sometimes it seems like ZT can read my mind as almost everything the come out with is something I want!

My guess is the only downside of steel other than weight would be that it could rust, which I don't see as an issue. I am looking forward to the 566 with the steel framelock just so I don't have to worry about wear on the lock. Sometimes it seems like ZT can read my mind as almost everything the come out with is something I want!

Titanium also has a greater strength to weight ratio than steel.

Yep. An insert would be OK. If I were using it with Ti just for cutting stuff it'd be fine, but I tend to flip just for the joy of flipping and Ti wears pretty fast. I'd flip my little CRKT Eros more but the Ti bar is so tiny I'm scared I'll use it up.

I'm sure it will sell great with the flipper and lower price point ($70 lower MSRP compared to the 0550 and still elmax) but I think those hoping for a true mini-560 are going to be disappointed between the steel slab handle and blocky square handle, yielding almost the same weight as a 0560. Hopefully down the road we'll see a version that is a true mini 0560 clone with the same materials and handle ergonomics.

Titanium also has a greater strength to weight ratio than steel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that although Ti has a greater strength to weight ratio, steel is still stronger. Just heavier, which is why it is not used much. Again, I am not sure on that, just thought I remember reading it somewhere.

Back