[FIRST LOOK] ZT 0566 (or, so you wanted a smaller 0560?)

For what it's worth, I don't like advertising that I'm carrying a knife so I never use pocket clips. If I drop a 5 or 6 or 7+ ounce knife in the bottom of my pocket and carry it around, it doesn't take long to realize how important weight is. FYI, the heaviest knife I EDC is a Southard at 4.1 ounces and I only carry that knife on weekends. Here in the office, I EDC knives that weigh 3 ounces or less. Am I sad that ZT chose not to construct the 0566 out of Titanium? You bet I am.

Yeah, definitely would have preferred Ti as well. Probably trying to reach a price point with the economy the way it is.

Yep. Had ZT decided to make the 0566 out of Titanium, it might very well have kicked the Southard out of my pocket. I definitely like the looks of the 0566 better than the Southard. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Sorry if I've missed this, I did a search and didn't see it.
How thick is the blade on the 0566? Is it the same 5/32s of an inch as its big bro, or is it more like 1/8 inch, like the relationship between the 300 series and the 350 series ZTs?
Thanks in advance.

Dont get me wrong Im disappointed too. But not really about the weight. I guess for me since I really dont carry much of anything BUT my knife in my pockets of my jeans an ounce or two doesnt make a huge deal to me. Honestly im more disappointed that it seems when KAI makes a different version of something there is the mentality that the only thing that can be retained from the previous model is the outline. When I say this Im speaking of the more expensive knives. I know when talking thinks like Cryos and Zings its easier to shake things up and keep it in the same price range. I do however get disappointed that I miss out on limited editions and then due to their popularity the company tries to fill the void and yet doesnt retain any of the features that interested me in the first place.

Roger that! Just because ZT made a smaller version of the 560 doesn't mean they should have cheapened the knife or added a feature that many may not have wanted (AO). But that was their decision and based on it, the 0566 is no threat to my Southard whatsoever.

Pretty sure I read you will simply have to take the torsion bar out and it will function fine as a manual flipper.

That's a step in the right direction. But given the fact that the 0566 will weigh practically as much as an 0560, it's still a no-go for me. I wouldn't begin to look at a ZT until it gets into the low 4-ounce range. The funny thing is, the Hinderer XM-18 comes in a 3.0"-inch version that only weighs 3.6 ounces. If Rick is willing to make a lightweight XM, one can only wonder why ZT won't follow suit. And no, the Cryo isn't the answer. It's not a bad knife for what it is and at 4.2 ounces, the weight would be OK for me. But it's still a tank of a knife with an overall length of just 6.5". And it's certainly no ZT.

Last edited:
That's a step in the right direction. But given the fact that the 0566 will weigh practically as much as an 0560, it's still a no-go for me. I wouldn't begin to look at a ZT until it gets into the low 4-ounce range. The funny thing is, the Hinderer XM-18 comes in a 3.0"-inch version that only weighs 3.6 ounces. If Rick is willing to make a lightweight XM, one can only wonder why ZT won't follow suit. And no, the Cryo isn't the answer. It's not a bad knife for what it is and at 4.2 ounces, the weight would be OK for me. But it's still a tank of a knife with an overall length of just 6.5". And it's certainly no ZT.

True. Not sure how much an all Ti version would weigh and the price point would probably go up about $100.

I suspect it would drop the weight of the 0566 by at least an ounce. That would have put it smack in the middle of Southard country, if you know what I mean. And as far as increasing the price is concerned, have you seen what 3.0" XMs are selling for?

IMO, falling mid-way between a 3.0" and 3.5" XM18, the 0566 could have been a world-beater. In its current configuration, however, I'd have to rate it a near miss. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I read you will simply have to take the torsion bar out and it will function fine as a manual flipper.

Maybe, but many times A/O knives dont get much of a detent. And even if the detent is sufficient I will certainly miss the KVT pivot. Honestly, I feel a bearing pivot makes all A/O knives redundant. But thats just my preference. Im sure there were those who were disappointed that the original 0560 and 0561 didnt have A/O. What would be totally killer is to offer KVT with the A/O so people could have it either way. Or better yet bring back the on off switch of he cyclone in a KVT knife. Talk about the ultimate in gimmicky gadgetry. Id be all over that.

I too am a huge fan of captive thrust bearing systems. Man, the more I think of what the 0566 could have been, the sadder I get. I know it's only a knife, but still . . .

I have to get out of here . . .

I suspect it would drop the weight of the 0566 by at least an ounce. That would have put it smack in the middle of Southard country, if you know what I mean. And as far as increasing the price is concerned, have you seen what 3.0" XMs are selling for?

IMO, falling mid-way between a 3.0" and 3.5" XM18, the 0566 could have been a world-beater. In its current configuration, however, I'd have to rate it a near miss. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Yeah, those are pricey! My guess is actually only add an additional $50-$60 to the knife if done in all Ti. The 0801 is all Ti and only $48 more than the 0566.

ZT's aren't designed to be light. They're designed to be hard-use/heavy duty folders. You're not going to get much lighter, and if you want a light knife, go check out ZT's friends, Kershaw.

The 0566 was designed to have a detent that would make it work just like any other manual knife.

I'm actually really looking forward to the 566. Wish it had Ti, but it's not really a deal breaker for me. I wish we knew when they were releasing it though.

I'm also looking forward to the 770, but I'm a little worried the handle might be a little small for me.

Love the elmax steel. But no titanium frame?

To me, I do not compare the 566 to the 560. it is basically a 550 with a flipper added and no titaium frame.

I'm torn between waiting for this or getting the 0550. Thoughts? Any ideas if this will be skinnier? I'm worried the 0550 will be too chunky in hand.

I'm torn between waiting for this or getting the 0550. Thoughts? Any ideas if this will be skinnier? I'm worried the 0550 will be too chunky in hand.

Whats the worry? Buy the 550 from a place that has a good return policy. If you don't like it send it back. You'd only be out a few dollars shipping.

I wonder what really the difference between the 0566 and 0550 are?
Could I just swap the 0566 Flipper Elmax blade into the 0550 and be a happy school girl?
Nobody really knows until it is released but I would like to know if that's a possible option down the road.

I am actually getting this knife BECAUSE of the steel framelock whereas I might not have otherwise. I like the direction ZT is going with this knife and the 801 with the steel insert. I like that I will not have to worry about lock wear on these too much, and I don't mind a little extra wieght. ZT puts out a ton of awesome stuff and I'm glad to see their product line continue to evolve.

makoharrop, I could be wrong, but I doubt you would be able to swap the blades on these two knives.

Back