Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Got skunked another year. I’m starting to lose hope, and can’t afford for out of state tags in Oregon, Idaho or Montana, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Our lawmakers need to pull there heads out of there ass and give us more then 2.5 weeks. Saw a sweet 6x6 hybrid but couldn’t get a shot on him. It’s just now getting into prime rutting and cold season, but whatever. Guess I’m gonna have to get a bow or muzzleloader, I’m done with the modern season.

In California they say they make want the season to close before rut so they know they can sell more tags than the number of bucks they expect to be taken. That way they say more people at least have a chance to get out and hunt. But I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that they can collect way more tag fees that way too. I can see how that could make sense. I’ve been skunked for the last 3 years after getting one every year for 5 years before that. Most of the 5 came at the very end of the season.

Got skunked another year. I’m starting to lose hope, and can’t afford for out of state tags in Oregon, Idaho or Montana, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Our lawmakers need to pull there heads out of there ass and give us more then 2.5 weeks. Saw a sweet 6x6 hybrid but couldn’t get a shot on him. It’s just now getting into prime rutting and cold season, but whatever. Guess I’m gonna have to get a bow or muzzleloader, I’m done with the modern season.
Archery and muzzleloader are both fun if you are into hunting more than shooting. Getting close still-hunting is just plain fun. As others have mentioned you can spend lots getting into archery, but you don’t have to spend tons to get outfitted with a decent compound set up. Going to a pro shop and talking with them and getting some lessons will quickly have you putting arrows on target consistently. As much as I love shooting guns, archery is just different. Very gratifying to fling arrows. I prefer recurve and longbow but they do require much more time behind the string to be proficient.

Same story with muzzle loaders- can spend reasonable amount or lots. Most are quite accurate now.

Stay safe.

We get 4 days for rifle draw tags.

I had more fun in my first season of archery hunting than all the years of previous rifle hunting combined. It's more work but there is less people and the reward of just being in the woods, getting close to game, is beyond compare.

I had more fun in my first season of archery hunting than all the years of previous rifle hunting combined. It's more work but there is less people and the reward of just being in the woods, getting close to game, is beyond compare.

Not to mention bow hunting makes you a better hunter in general, in many ways. It teaches you a lot about how to move quietly through the woods, to pay close attention to wind direction, how to use natural camoflage to your advantage, etc.

Alas, with torn ligaments in my shoulder, I think my bow hunting days are behind me. But I'm seriously thinking about picking up a muzzleloader for next year.

Last of the whitetail was dealt with yesterday - all the trimmings ground into good, lean burger, vacuum-sealed into 1lb bags and in the chest freezer. Feels good to have all that meat in reserve, and to be done with butchering.

IMG_6445.jpeg

Not to mention bow hunting makes you a better hunter in general, in many ways. It teaches you a lot about how to move quietly through the woods, to pay close attention to wind direction, how to use natural camoflage to your advantage, etc.

Alas, with torn ligaments in my shoulder, I think my bow hunting days are behind me. But I'm seriously thinking about picking up a muzzleloader for next year.

Last of the whitetail was dealt with yesterday - all the trimmings ground into good, lean burger, vacuum-sealed into 1lb bags and in the chest freezer. Feels good to have all that meat in reserve, and to be done with butchering.

View attachment 2374624
Does your state allow crossbows?

Depending on the state, some allow crossbows during bow season, and there are some states where crossbows generally AREN'T allowed during bow season, but there is an exception for folks with (temporary, or permanent) injuries/disabilities.

Does your state allow crossbows?

Depending on the state, some allow crossbows during bow season, and there are some states where crossbows generally AREN'T allowed during bow season, but there is an exception for folks with (temporary, or permanent) injuries/disabilities.

It's the latter in our case - I suppose I could make the argument that I'm 'permanently injured' and then be able to use a crossbow during our archery season, but I just haven't gone there yet.

The KUIU big sale starts today
Thanks, Jim, that is a decent sale. I only have three issues (fine, way more than three, but that’s all I am listing now)…..

1. I have a tough time getting away from wool.
2. Even at a decent mark down, it’s still expensive, and it’s not wool.
3. I am buying 72 knives in NC next weekend, so I need to save the cash for that.

Thanks, Jim, that is a decent sale. I only have three issues (fine, way more than three, but that’s all I am listing now)…..

1. I have a tough time getting away from wool.
2. Even at a decent mark down, it’s still expensive, and it’s not wool.
3. I am buying 72 knives in NC next weekend, so I need to save the cash for that.
All good arguments

1. I dont blame you. If its winter and if I'm hunting in a stand or staying in place I'm wearing the cabelas wooly gear. But for gun week, I hunt with 12 guys and we push through some serious brush. Wool sucks when your swimming in burdocks, trefoil and stickseed.
2. It is but, I've found them to be very durable and worth the cost, in my opinion. And no it is not wool but I like the advantage listed above when mobile and find the gear to plenty warm when layered appropriately.
3. Grab one for me please 😂

Back