Fixed Blade Dilemma?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Dispite New Years goals of keeping debt to a minimum i am authorized by my cheif financial advisor to get one knife for my birthday.
So was really thinking go big or go home and as you might know i really like the basic 124 Frontiersman.
I do like my 119 Special but like the Frontiersman im not going to wear it on my belt unless im out camping or maybe a long hike on vacation. ( rarely ever do)
Some recent threads opened my eyes to the smaller fixed blades in the 100 series like the 102,103,105 and 118’s.
What do you all think?
Keep in mind on a positive note the BDay Budget would allow 2 of the smaller knives IJS?
DN

Hmm... I tend to think buying what you're going to use more makes the most sense but there is that sense of satisfaction from something that's just really nice to look at. I like to think of some of my knives as functional art, I like using them but I'm fine with just being fascinated with their looks and craftsmanship as well.

Not knowing what else you have, I would be inclined to say get a 118, as it's a great allrounder, and something else. The 118 makes a nice "tactical paring knife" ;).

Now, some of the other 100-series fixed blades from buck do suffer from smaller handles. So if you have big hands, keep that in mind. I wear large gloves and a few are a really tight squeeze, I don't think the woodsman would work for me but the pathfinder might (forgot that had a bigger blade than the 118 too).

My recommendation, get to the nearest shop that has some you can see in person and handle. Hopefully something calls out to you from there instead of further muddying the waters.

I have seen a few guys wearing a small fixed blade while out and about shopping and such and don’t find it odd at all. So if i were to break up my folder on hip carry i would lean to a under 5 inch blade. I like the grind of the 103 Skinner the most and it’s 4inches.
My inventory includes a Vanguard 4 1/4 and a Kalinga 4 3/4 in blade length and i really liked and felt comfortable wearing the Kalinga at our Christmas dinner gathering. Did not interfere in driving, sitting and such which i hate. Must be the way it sits in the sheath. The Vanguard i’ve had longer and seems its always needing adjustment.

Every knife guy or gal needs a 124 Frontiersman if they have even one fixed blade knife. That being said for one that you might actually use on a frequent basis I’d also suggest the 118. It’s just about right for just about everything.

Wow the Kalinga carried so comfortably yet its quite a bit bigger then the Vanguard that i always seemed to need adjusting. Been a while since i tried carrying the Van so may do anothe test run soon

The Vanguard i’ve had longer and seems its always needing adjustment.
I'm confused...do you mean the sheath of the Vanguard needs adjusting? Or is it that you have a Vantage and that it needs adjusting. What about the 119 you say you have? Of course, the 118, as I'm a big fan and user of that model...the Vanguard, 192, Is one I've been trying to carry and use...old habits die hard! Preston

I'd say get the one(s) that make you happy, and that more camping is always a good idea. :)

As others have said, going to a sporting goods store to handle the various knives would not be amiss.

For edc? I’d go with the Buck 113 Ranger skinner. It’s a much more useable blade than the 103 IMHO. Or the 117 special not the Brahma. This is assuming you already have a 110 and 112.

But the 124 is a special knife.

If you buy one of the less expensive knives and have some cash left over. I recommend a custom sheath instead of a second knife. If you plan on carrying it a nice sheath makes a big difference.

Maybe a poll is coming but if we start betting, I am putting my money on a 124 showing up in David's mailbox. I think he's made up his mind but using the other models to support denial:) Although he will get those next. It's what we do. Then each model will need to be acquired again in different handles, etc.

You all are cracking me up and that last comment “it’s what we do!” Is hilarious!!
Tparrott

As far as the adjustments i meant everytime you gotta sit you forget to keep the sheath inline with your leg and sit on the sheath. Not a fault with the sheath more operator error.

Back