Fixing blade rub/centering?

Wild Willie

Gold Member
View attachment 1254768
Good evening guys and gals... Merry Christmas to everyone I haven't told yet and happy new year to everyone.
I bought this case cv Slimline trapper a while back and the blade isn't very well centered, as a matter if fact it rubs a bit on the obverse side of the blade. I bought through a bulk dealer online. For what I paid I'm not going to raise a stink (it's probably been too long anyway). So now the real question. Is there any way to fix this myself? Or is there someone who lives for and does this sort of thing that is sponsored here that could do it for a reasonable fee? Or should I perhaps punt it to someone who doesn't care and try to get one with better centering? I leave it to you folks, the esteemed members of the porch to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your time/advice.

You simply need to bend it. The not so simple part is doing it without damaging anything. I have never attempted it personally but my mechanical mind can see how to.

Put the blade in a vice and use pliers on the tang(not the handle) and bend a little at a time. Use a rag to attempt to not mar the tang. You might have to bend two or three times past where you want it to allow for spring back.

Hopefully others chime in that have done it. If that sounds too daunting, I would move it along. Best of luck!

You simply need to bend it. The not so simple part is doing it without damaging anything. I have never attempted it personally but my mechanical mind can see how to.

Put the blade in a vice and use pliers on the tang(not the handle) and bend a little at a time. Use a rag to attempt to not mar the tang. You might have to bend two or three times past where you want it to allow for spring back.

Hopefully others chime in that have done it. If that sounds too daunting, I would move it along. Best of luck!
I've thought that myself just haven't worked myself up to trying it yet. Makes me nervous... I might be following your advice and moving on if it comes to it. Thanks

No to the above! You'll snap your blade. Watch this video. This is a simple process. I dont have a mallet like he has so I put a piece of gorilla tape over the blade and use an 8 ounce peening hammer.

without sounding a bit off, when it is in your pocket, you won't notice it. when it is open and in use,you won't notice it.
notice what i did there with the first sentence
I know you're right, it really doesn't impair the cutting efficiency of the blade. I do appreciate a good play on words to go along with it.
I'd throw it in the tackle or tool box and try again.
Definitely a choice on the table... Perhaps try again with a nice jigged bone handle

A standard no extra/added cost feature that comes with the pattern?

If it does not affect the functionality, why fret about it?

A standard no extra/added cost feature that comes with the pattern?

If it does not affect the functionality, why fret about it?
It wasn't fretting so much as sitting around saying to myself "You know what would make this good knife great? If the blade were centered.". Since I was sitting around with the kids watching toy story 2 for the 9 millionth time I figured I would resort to my favorite past time of late... Perusing blade forums and being jealous of everyone else's stuff. I really appreciate the input guys.

This has been my bad luck with the last several Case knives I purchased. Most I returned for refund or exchange. I did send one to Case for a non centered blade with side play. It came back repaired.

You've had to put up with it only 9 million times?!?

You Lucky guy. I had to put up with The Polar Express around 20 million times when my nephew/godson was little.
There's 3 other movies plus a series of shorts in the franchise...(as I'm sure everyone is well aware of) My daughter is a toy story nut. She'll be 2 in May so I'm pretty sure I'm in it for the long haul. Just one movie is definitely worse though, and my parents quite often take the opportunity to remind me of the ones my brother and i watched repeatedly. Fortunately for them vhs tapes wore out.

Off-Centre is one thing - annoying but not uncommon in cheaper knives. Any kind of blade rub touching the liner on a single-blade is quite another, and totally wrong as it does interfere with the function. W&T compromised? No, return it for a fixing, as others have pointed out, CASE has a very decent guarantee system- I've used it once and 100% satisfied.

Back