1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flea market finds

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by CaptainFuzzy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. CaptainFuzzy

CaptainFuzzy

Jul 29, 2017
    15051997378461901235026.jpg 1505199764901267561715.jpg 15051998324081793827615.jpg Not an expert on traditional folders but I got these 3 at a flea market over the weekend. They were filthy but I cleaned them up a bit. The black and green knives are marked "Imperial" and the brown knife is marked "Western". They're neat looking, and I got all 3 for $20. Anyone know much about them?

2. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    The Western stockman is from the late 70s or early 80s. Good users. The Imperial stock knives have "shell handle" construction. The stamp on one of the knives dates from '56 to 80s. The stamp on the green one is ground partially off but it looks like it may be the same. They were inexpensive knives--that may be why they were so common. Most of the pocket knives that I saw when I was growing up were shell handles.

redsparrow likes this.
  3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    They cleaned up well! All three will make good users:)

4. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    Plenty of life left in those blades, nice find!

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Great score, western and imperial both made great blades.

The imperials were inexpensively constructed, but that don't make them bad.
    They easily take a razor edge which I love. They don't seem to have been making them with blade play, and the walk and talk should be decent.
    Plus their nice and lightweight.

6. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    I found a couple of nice old folders a couple of years ago at the flea market. Neither had scales on them. I cut out some deer antler and this is how they turned out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Nice score :)
    That Western looks like a nice punch stockman.
    As others have said, Imperial and Western may have been inexpensive knives, but they have great blades that will take a razor edge, and keep it for a reasonable length of time.
    All three should make for a good EDC. :)

8. CaptainFuzzy

CaptainFuzzy

Jul 29, 2017
    Two have a third blade that is odd. Not sharp at all, but very thick. Almost scoop like. Very sharp at the end, pointy.

9. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    It's a punch

[​IMG]

10. CaptainFuzzy

CaptainFuzzy

Jul 29, 2017
    Got the Western cleaned up a little better, put an Edge on the main blade. Gonna carry her for a while. Perfect size for a utility knife. Got some frog lube in there to loosen things up and she's sliding pretty smoothly. 15052626095971178012008.jpg

11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Antique store rather than flea market, but in the same spirit:
    Colonial just a little bigger than what I thought was standard, and a Brown Bros tuxedo (I think it's a tuxedo).
    [​IMG]

12. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    $2.95 for the tape, $9 for the Kent jack.
    [​IMG]

13. Dirk D

Dirk D

Sep 3, 2017
    My best fleahmarket found ever : an Imperial scout knife from 1930-1936, cost me in nearly mint condition about 8 Euros ( approx. 9 $)
    [​IMG]
    But the one from a fleamarket, I had the most fun with, is this little Klaas:
    [​IMG]
    Totally wasted, when I found it, the horn was totally swollen und nearly not to recognize as horn. I assumed it to be wood, which had to be replaced, but I was lucky to save it. Paid 1 Euro :) Now it´s one of my most loved knives in rotation

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  14. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    How did you save the horn?

15. Dirk D

Dirk D

Sep 3, 2017
    Just sanded it down ( sandpaper up to 2000 grid) and polished it with metal polish. It had enough substance to be saved. Now the handle covers ony have half of the original thickness, but it´s enough. This will not work, if the horn ist too swollen and squashy. It has to be replaced then

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Mikael W and sitflyer like this.
  16. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks.
    Weird stuff, horn.

17. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Awesome idea for an thread! I think everyone is interested in what kind of beautiful knives people find in garage sales, pawn shops, etc...

For us knife nuts, cutlery crazies, it is like striking gold!

18. Dirk D

Dirk D

Sep 3, 2017
    The real weird thing about this knife is the other side of the handle. Seems as you have two different knives ;)

[​IMG]

Mikael W and sitflyer like this.
  19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    The folder was the last good one in a five-dollar bowl. "AERIAL" on the main blade, and something like "A.C.M.CO" in an arch over "MARIETTE/ WIS on the pen. 1912-1944, if I read my Levine aright.
    I got the FBs for $8 instead of $18, because she was tired of giving them case space.
    [​IMG]

20. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    There already is a thread with over 230 posts on this topic.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/flea-market-finds.1334297

As an aside, I know this isn't the place for this, but I feel folks should look into the thread in G,B&U on Captain Fuzzy.

sitflyer likes this.