Folding Bushcraft Knife that is usable/comfortable - by Daniel Koster

Can a folding bushcraft knife compete with the fixed blade version?

• I'm intrigued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm skeptical

• I'm against it

• Sign me up!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the design worked out to be smooth/continuous all the way around when folded. Took care intense CAD work, but got 'er done! :thumbup:

I've had a cold this week, so I had some downtime. blech....

Here's the CAD drawings:

BushcraftFolder11a.gif

BushcraftFolder11b.gif

I updated the first post.

Probably the biggest change is the handle guard being removed from the blade. Since I have it designed into the knife as well as the titanium frame...and since I really needed the space there for the stop pin (when closed) I axed it. For me, it really cleans up the look and make the design more simple.

Let me know your thoughts.
:thumbup:

Dan

Looking awesome Mr. Dan, I might have to start selling some stuff to make room for this one:) Do you have a rough estimate in mind of initial production yet?

The design looks great!
Have you decided whether you will do the jimping by-hand and to-order or not?
And also the "thumb slot" looks a lot smaller than some of the other designs you have had. Was that aesthetics or use or structural?

superpaco - it's a nail-nick being shown. I still need to make a prototype with one to make sure that would work with the design, but I like that more than the milled slot. I like my waterjet cut thumbgrooves, so I will probably go that route on the next prototype.

weasel-3 - start sellin'....:D....I'm hoping to have models ready to sell by the beginning of June. First run will be limited to 20.

Dan

I have around 95 pre-orders right now - doesn't mean everyone will actually get one...just a show of interest. We'll see where it leads. If I make 20 and they are well received (as I anticipate they will be) then I'll have another 20 right on its heels. I've already got the materials ready to go. Just need to hammer out the details on this prototype. Not much time this week to work on it, though. :eek:

Dan

Hmmm so we are going to have to wrestle for these eh???

Considering the interest, and preorders (I'm in that 95 group), would there be any way you could compile a list of the order in which you received the names?? Giving us, the prospective buyers, an idea as to when we'll need to make payments to secure a folder? I know its a stretch :D Either way, I think you are doing a great job keep us informed and up-to-date, thanks.

Such a great concept. I'm a folder kind of guy with the only exception being the bushcraft style fixed blade. This is the best of both worlds.....and then add in the custom factor and you get Perfection (IMO)! Just put my name on the pre-order list.

Thx Dan

I'm probably going to do things differently with the folders, regarding ordering. It will still be "no deposit needed", but I'm not sure how I want to handle it just yet.

Ideally I'd like to have a bunch of handles already cut out, ready to go, as well as prepped parts, etc. Then take some pics to show what's available and let people pick-n-choose until the list is filled up. Perceived turnaround will be much quicker this way.

Hey Dan. Have you had a chance to weigh the proto-type? Doesn't matter much to me but interested none the less.

Yes - of course!

I can't find the post - I was sure I posted it earlier...

Anyway, it's about an ounce lighter than a regular bushcraft right now. But that will change with the next prototype.

Man that final tweaked drawing is amazing. I love how clean it looks, the handle and blade flow perfectly. Looking forward to June (or whenever my name comes up) to get one of these!

Ok - It's time to walk the walk....I'm sending the design to waterjet today to get cut. Prototype #2 has begun!

:thumbup:

Daniel Koster

I don't recall reading if you will offer "coke bottle" contoured handles or just smoothed out handles or both.

I'm hoping to get natural micarta scales if luck enough to be in the first group or two... Though carbon fiber might be interesting looking on this style knife.

Hope all goes smoothly with the water cutting. ;)

The handles will be just like my regular Bushcraft knives. Here's a drawing showing what I shoot for when I make my handles:

BushcraftFolderOutline.gif

I don't like what most people refer to as a "coke bottle" outline because it typically leaves the front of the handle very wide and is followed by a "dip" in profile that is unnecessary.

If you truly test out all your "coke bottle" knives you'll find that you don't really need that "dip" under your pointer finger. The palm swell is what makes the biggest difference. That, and a gentle curve along the top of the tang in profile.

Dan

The handles will be just like my regular Bushcraft knives. Here's a drawing showing what I shoot for when I make my handles:

BushcraftFolderOutline.gif

I don't like what some people refer to as a "coke bottle" outline because it typically leaves the front of the handle very wide and is followed by a "dip" in profile that is unnecessary. Personally, I'd call that a "double coke bottle" or "hour glass" outline.

If you truly test out all your "coke bottle" knives you'll find that you don't really need that "dip" under your pointer finger...nor does it have to be thin up front. The palm swell is what makes the biggest difference. That, and a gentle curve along the top of the tang in profile.

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back