Folding Bushcraft Knife that is usable/comfortable - by Daniel Koster

Can a folding bushcraft knife compete with the fixed blade version?

• I'm intrigued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm skeptical

• I'm against it

• Sign me up!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the opinions - like I said - I'm not sold on it.

Fancier & tknife - look again at post 155 for more info.

Coad - I do knock the corners off slightly on a deburring wheel. You definitely won't get cut. And I even hit the tops with a deburring wheel as well. It's easier to feel in person, but it's about as comfy as jimping can get and still throw a good spark. So, it should perform like your Schofield.

Dan

Dan - Jimping on the tip is nothing for me. I mostly see disadvantages to that.

How about putting the nail nick towards the tip instead? will give a much better lever for opening it. Although this might not be necessary as you have stated that it flips open very smoothly, it might still make sense under certain circumstances. For example if you have messed up your knife with sap, sirup or pine pitch, you will need the longer lever. I have experienced this a couple of times with my Swiss Army knives.

Always thought it was clever to put the nail nick towards the tip. Looks good as well in my opinion.

084133.jpg

Last edited:
lightleak - SAK's have quite a bit of spring tension and pressure on the blade, and the shorter/lighter/smaller blade is hard to get to - requiring a good bit of grip/leverage to open it. This folder I am making is a much larger knife with a heavier blade (by comparison proportionally). Even with a nail nick you will be able to one-hand-open it. There are no springs to overcome. Like nearly all frame-lock folders, you only have to work against the detent.

Dan

Ok, I trust you. :)
Just thought you wanted to put something towards the tip whatever it is, haha.

I love the jimping at the tip idea! Typically when I use the thumb jimping the length of the blade disturbs the kindling and with the tip jimping that will not happen. I will not have to build my fire starting around using the close to handle jimping. I intend to just carry the folder in my pocket so I apreciate the jimping being covered in the grip. I would even go for jimping at the tip AND in the thumb location! I do like the thumb jimping when your hand gets real slimmy from cleaning game it does help keep it from slipping through your hand.

Ditto on the jimping in two spots. It seems to me like a good idea to have one spot solely for throwing sparks and one for either that or traction.

One thing I'm skeptical of is the IKBS ball bearings on a bushcraft knife, would the more moving parts make this knife weaker or more prone to blade play in the future? Or am I way off?

doesnt Helle already make a scandi folder? the dokka and the skala? im sure they do.
Horrible post dude. What's the point? Already covered in earlier post, besides Helle isn't a Koster. I would rather have one Koster than a 100 Helle's...Made in America, ya know, your country...??

Ditto on the jimping in two spots. It seems to me like a good idea to have one spot solely for throwing sparks and one for either that or traction.

Still thinking about this one - for now, the jimping near the tip is a no-go. But I may decide to put in the jimping by hand rather than by waterjet - in that case, I can put it wherever the customer wants it, or not at all.

One thing I'm skeptical of is the IKBS ball bearings on a bushcraft knife, would the more moving parts make this knife weaker or more prone to blade play in the future?

The opposite is true. The bearings have an exact diameter that is very consistent and allows junk/dust/etc. to flow through them rather than build up in between the washers and cause them to be uneven. IKBS will make it more consistent and eliminate blade play. Plus I can tighten the pivot all the way to 100% and not have to worry about adjusting tension. It will always open smoothly.

As I've already stated. I have batoned this through hardwoods now a half-dozen times. There is no play whatsoever. The only thing that's happened is that the lockbar is now more engaged (70% instead of the 30% I started out with). I also put it through some hard testing (abusive) to make sure it could handle regular use with no worries. I basically gave it about a years' worth (or 2) of constant use...."fast-fowarded" over 2 weeks. I've carried it and used it hard every day, doing everything from opening boxes to scraping glue off my table in the shop during the week, to fire-prep and wood cutting on the weekend, and so on...pretty much any chance I get, I use this knife instead of the fixed blades I have (even in the kitchen). Has performed as expected.

doesnt Helle already make a scandi folder? the dokka and the skala? im sure they do.
Horrible post dude. What's the point? Already covered in earlier post, besides Helle isn't a Koster. I would rather have one Koster than a 100 Helle's...Made in America, ya know, your country...??

Love the post, superfluities. Yes, this will be Made in the USA as well as Made By Hand. Very little automation going into this, to save me time/$$$. Just efficiency, time management, clear goals/expectations, ingenuity, working in batches, limiting materials, etc....those things will help keep the cost down. But consider what your money IS going toward...thick titanium frames (not thin stainless liners); fully contoured handles with palm swell and all gaps/corners radiussed for comfort; 3V steel (this ought to be enough to warrant the price difference) and if you ever have any problems with it you send it to me for full (and FREE) warranty repair. I made it, I fix it. ;)

I can't wait =x Sounds like it will be quite the EDC/camp/bush/utility folder.. MADE FOR ABUSE..

I'm curious about the lockbar engaging more though with batoning. Sounds like there is no way around that. So baton with caution I assume?

And I was thinking that with using the tip for gouging holes and such, will that begin to push side to side limits? Or again with the IKBS system and it being 100% tight, lateral torque shouldn't be a problem until the tip breaks??

Either way, this is going to be sweeeet :D

I torqued it a bunch - side to side as well as twisting. No blade play. Using IKBS allows me to tighten it down all the way and that really does keep things solid.

The lockbar engaging more is just a sign of use over time. I just 'accelerated' the use by working it waaaaay harder and more frequently than the average user.

So, you might be wondering why this should be any different than all the other frame-lock folders out there - why can't you baton with those?

All these factors have to be in place:
1 - IKBS - blade action is smooth, no blade play, consistent, can get dirty
2 - thick titanium frames - more dimensionally stable (stiff)
3 - full coverage handle (supports lockbar)
4 - scandi-ground blade (wider spine, more material supporting the edge)

Really, any other maker could do it...nothing special about me. That said, the true icing on this cake is that I'm offering all of the above in a comfortable package and well-thought-out design.

I didn't just draw something up and call it a bushcraft folder, I am following a time-tested and proven design...and making a folding version.

In fact, I like this new design so much, I'm probably going to change my 2013 Bushcraft knife to follow it. I am redesigning both at the same time. But it won't be available until later this summer.

Dan

I torqued it a bunch - side to side as well as twisting. No blade play. Using IKBS allows me to tighten it down all the way and that really does keep things solid.

The lockbar engaging more is just a sign of use over time. I just 'accelerated' the use by working it waaaaay harder and more frequently than the average user.

So, you might be wondering why this should be any different than all the other frame-lock folders out there - why can't you baton with those?

All these factors have to be in place:
1 - IKBS - blade action is smooth, no blade play, consistent, can get dirty
2 - thick titanium frames - more dimensionally stable (stiff)
3 - full coverage handle (supports lockbar)
4 - scandi-ground blade (wider spine, more material supporting the edge)

Really, any other maker could do it...nothing special about me. That said, the true icing on this cake is that I'm offering all of the above in a comfortable package and well-thought-out design.

I didn't just draw something up and call it a bushcraft folder, I am following a time-tested and proven design...and making a folding version.

In fact, I like this new design so much, I'm probably going to change my 2013 Bushcraft knife to follow it. I am redesigning both at the same time. But it won't be available until later this summer.

Dan

All of this sounds great. To me, bushcraft is synonymous with actual real world use. I'm not going to baton wood with my folding knife unless I have to, but with a knife so expertly designed to handle such abuse while still being comfortable I know I can do anything within, and beyond, the scope of any folder. Also, I think this knife is a real refinement and progressive evolution of the classic "bushcraft knife" which I believe eliminates all the issues which kept me from purchasing such a knife, while retaining all the aspects which drew me to the design. As you can tell, I'm excited. Great work.

And production starts when :) Thanks Dan for all that you do.... I'll be in Rodgers AR the First Week of May, teaching Wide Area Search Tactics to local SAR, and First Responders. Is that near you. ? Tu Compadres, Sutty

Yes. And I'm connected to the Bentonville SAR group as well (informally). I have taught Wilderness First Aid/CPR here locally and my Boy Scouts are actually starting a SAR program in May (thru Aug). Would love to hear more about your experiences, etc. shoot me an email.
Rogers in the next town over from me (2 min away). Shop is always open and visitors are welcome. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back