Folding Bushcraft Knife that is usable/comfortable - by Daniel Koster

Can a folding bushcraft knife compete with the fixed blade version?

• I'm intrigued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm skeptical

• I'm against it

• Sign me up!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
AngryDaddyBird - :thumbup: Feels even better "in-hand"...! :eek:

I initially wanted to have something ready for June, but that's going to be a stretch. Probably more like July.

All those on the pre-order will get notified first. I'll take reservations on the first 10 or 20 and go from there. No deposit needed.

Dan

I doubt that you'll get a better answer than "probably more like July".

" I initially wanted to have something ready for June, but that's going to be a stretch. Probably more like July.

All those on the pre-order will get notified first. I'll take reservations on the first 10 or 20 and go from there. No deposit needed.

Dan"

I doubt that you'll get a better answer than "probably more like July".

Thanks for answering my question addressed specifically to Dan but where did you get that quote from? I'm not seeing it the thread? Date? post number?

Anyway I, and probably a few others would like to hear a current probable date from Dan

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question addressed specifically to Dan but where did you get that quote from? I'm not seeing it the thread? Date? post number?

Anyway I, and probably a few others would like to hear a current probable date from Dan

Post #220 Page #11 :thumbup:

I've started the next 2 prototypes. Pics forthcoming!

I like this knife as well. I think a 5160 carbon steel blade
would be both unike and ideal for a steel choice for bushcraft.

If I may ask, what bushcrafting tasks would a fixed
blade have over a folder that is not heavy batoning? And why
would a frame lock be superior over a lockback?

Others will be able to say it better than I, but I'll give it a try.

A fixed blade is easier to clean usually and if well made, has few if any hot-spots (places where the handle wears out your hand).

A well made, sturdy framelock built with bearings will keep the blade tight at all times, yet allow easy movement. The very nature and design of a lockback allows (with a spring) movement in the blade. At best, simple over-rotation; at worst, lock defeat and the blade closes on you.

Most folding knives that end up being used outdoors for bushcraft work are either liner locks or lockbacks. This is part of why most bushcraft/survivalist types don't trust folders.

While "technically speaking" my design is a liner lock...the liner is so thick by comparison, and being made from titanium rather than steel - it behaves like a framelock that just has a large handle wrapped around it.

Dan

All depends on these 2 prototypes. So far so good. Still on track for starting in July.

Ditto on this. I love my fixed bushcrafter and I'm on the list for the folder but with the shorter, wider blade it feels bullish at the tip. Just my two cents. Still going to be an amazing knife no matter what! Can't wait to see what the new prototypes look like.

Looks fantastic!!

One thing I was wondering: Is this the final version for the blade shape? It looks a bit chubby towards the tip, in my opinion. I am not really good in explaining this, but I think the line of the cutting edge "keeps straight for too long", so the curves towards the tip are very...curvy! Or is that just me? (It seems to be different from the drawings in that aspect?)

Ditto on this. I love my fixed bushcrafter and I'm on the list for the folder but with the shorter, wider blade it feels bullish at the tip. Just my two cents. Still going to be an amazing knife no matter what! Can't wait to see what the new prototypes look like.

I like the chubbier tip. It will eventually become a regular Bushcraft shape by sharpening.

I finished the next prototype - pics forthcoming!!!
It's a beast.

I had Butch make up some sheath options - be sure to let me know what you think!

BushcraftFolder062413-01.jpg

From left to right:
Foldover Pouch
Pouch + Firesteel loop (yes, it is integrated into the sheath - very clever)
Pouch

As usual with Butch's sheaths, if you ever can't find your knife, you can use the sheath to bludgeon the beast attacking you!

Backside close-up of Pouch+FS

BushcraftFolder062413-02.jpg

Front & Back of Foldover Pouch

BushcraftFolder062413-03.jpg

BushcraftFolder062413-04.jpg

Foldover Pouch opened up

BushcraftFolder062413-05.jpg

Front/Back of standard pouch

BushcraftFolder062413-06.jpg

BushcraftFolder062413-07.jpg

And finally, what we've all been waiting for - the prototype finished out.

BushcraftFolder062413-08.jpg

BushcraftFolder062413-09.jpg

BushcraftFolder062413-10.jpg

I think I've got all the bugs and kinks worked out, guys. I've decided to not offer a flat grind on this first run, I want to stick to scandi grinds and maybe work out flat grinds later.

So, you're looking at the final product.

I already have the steel I need for the first 10.
I also already have the titanium
..and handle materials.

I'm guessing you can figure out what that means.

Keep an eye peeled on your email folder this week.

Thanks for all the interest and support guys. Looks like it is going to happen after all!

I'm just as amazed as y'all are. LOL

Dan

Looks great Dan. Like the sheath/pouch with the fire steel loop. :thumbup:

Dan, Any way we can find out where we stand on the list to get one of these? Thanks!

Everybody that has pre-ordered is on "equal ground" right now.

I will be opening up the list sometime this week - the first 10 to respond will be added to the list. And we'll take it from there.

Pricing will start at $365

Thanks for all the interest, guys!! :thumbup:

Dan

The Pouch + Firesteel loop is really unique! I think it's the most suitable to such unique folder here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back