Folding Bushcraft Knife that is usable/comfortable - by Daniel Koster

Can a folding bushcraft knife compete with the fixed blade version?

• I'm intrigued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm skeptical

• I'm against it

• Sign me up!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way - I forgot to mention....this folder blade is floating on IKBS. ;)

It is as smooth as glass and quite easy to open one-handed. It's not going to be a problem with a nail nick.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, Belleyedge. I've yet to see a flipper with a good guard/edge proximity. Most of the higher-end knives I've owned have been flippers and they are fun to use for sure. I did create a flipper version but didn't like how big the guard was compared to the overall design. Also, most bushcraft enthusiasts I've spoken to prefer less guard, not more...it does tend to get in the way with detail work. So, I went with as little guard as possible, and recessed the first-finger area more to create more of a guard on that side - without dropping it too much below the blade. (the tail wagging the dog, so to speak)

This is a good example of trying to make a knife design to please everyone, and ending up pleasing none.

Flippers are great. But for Bushcraft, it moves the design away from the core use.

You might, at some point release a flipper version, with a choil, and grip tape on the handle, make the blade 4 times as thick with a very low saber grind with a 80 degree inclusive final bevel, add a bunch of machined skulls and flamed ti, with an assisted spring. And then it would be like a lot of other overbuilt, less than useful tactical folders. They look great, but if you really need to cut, and well, they are less than ideal.

A rough estimate of cost is the only thing holding me back on this right now. This folder looks awesome Mr. Dan. Your going to out do yourself on this one.

This is in the $300-400 range right now. I need to make a few more before I can be solid on the price.

Looks fantastic!!

One thing I was wondering: Is this the final version for the blade shape? It looks a bit chubby towards the tip, in my opinion. I am not really good in explaining this, but I think the line of the cutting edge "keeps straight for too long", so the curves towards the tip are very...curvy! Or is that just me? (It seems to be different from the drawings in that aspect?)

Last edited:
I'll be going by the drawing for the next one.
Dan

Also - I've secured a source for 0.100" thick CPM154. I think it's going to be a reality now. :thumbup:

I will still be using 3V for this first bunch, but then I'll start offering it in CPM154.

Dan

I've got to figure out how to make Chrome browser and Bladeforums play nicer....grrrrrr....double post

Looking at the Crucible charts you really do give up a lot of toughness to get that corrosion resistance when you shift from 3V to CPM 154.
The charts are less consistent when comparing wear resistance, but it looks like you give up some of that, too.

Looking at the Crucible charts you really do give up a lot of toughness to get that corrosion resistance when you shift from 3V to CPM 154.
The charts are less consistent when comparing wear resistance, but it looks like you give up some of that, too.

There will be both! Thin cpm 154, thick 3V, strange holes and magnificent nail nicks :D - Dan is going to make everybody happy, it seems! :thumbup:

not everybody....HA

CPM154 is very consistent, easy to machine, heat-treats well and performs overall very well for a stainless. It does not have the wear-resistance of other steels, but on the other hand is quite easy to sharpen. It has moderate toughness. I've made Bushcraft knives in CPM154 and they have stood up to batoning and hard-use tasks.

It will be a trade-off, for sure. Those that want it are going to know what they're giving up. ;)

And it costs just a little more than 3V.

See why I love 3V?

:D

Dan

Latest design update - spent a lot of time on this one after having played around with the first prototype. All other design iterations will be taken down to avoid confusion.

BushcraftFolder10.gif

This one is greatly cleaned up and is closer to the "New Bushcraft" for 2013. :thumbup:

I started the first prototype before I had made the updated design changes for 2013.

Some updates are subtle, some are not. I'm too tired to list them all right now. :eek:

Dan

This is really cool! Subscribed to this one. From the pick it is a nail nick to open the blade?

Latest design update - spent a lot of time on this one after having played around with the first prototype. All other design iterations will be taken down to avoid confusion.

BushcraftFolder10.gif

This one is greatly cleaned up and is closer to the "New Bushcraft" for 2013. :thumbup:

I started the first prototype before I had made the updated design changes for 2013.

Some updates are subtle, some are not. I'm too tired to list them all right now. :eek:

Dan
no hole no buy. Spyderco fan for life :)
Dan
If you are not sure about the hole vs. nail nick or steel type put it for a vote.

vvk - ill be offering both steel with both options. :thumbup:

It looks like you have two fasteners for the liners (hidden under the scales) and two fasteners for the scales themselves (exposed to view).
I just looked through a few of my folders and I noticed that they have between two and four sets of fasteners, all exposed.
Since you can't epoxy a folder together I guess one of the things you learn from a prototype is if you have enough fasteners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back