Follow up on my first small Seb. overly stiff action . . .

Either you ship a lot of volume with FedEx exclusively or you're far better at negotiating a shipping contract than most.

I'm really curious though, how about you take tomorrow's newspaper from Albany and overnight it to me? Happily will send you the cost of the paper + $4.50 for the hassle.

If you are "that" curious, the company I work for I just googled it and it shows 269,000 employees in the U.S. so Im sure they can negotiate good contracts for shipping rates. I have no idea what CRK's contract is. I just know many companies make big revenues off your shipping fees. $17.50 even including a signature receipt is still high for a small box IMO. I have 4 other CRK's so far and I for one, will not be doing any more spa services. She said there was no extra charge for a signature as its built into their shipping fee.

If I send out personal packages its not fee to me. They just deduct the charge from my personal checking account.
My wife walked into a UPS store and sent a regular sized maybe 10 lb box of clothes from NY to Denver, CO a few months back and I was waiting in my car. She came out flipping out that UPS hit her for $55 and it took like 9 days for the package to arrive.

But you are pulling this off topic. My topic was that my knife had bad washers causing it to work stiff and many commented in other threads I posted and or read when I asked "should its action be so stiff". then the flood gates opened :rolleyes:). Sure CRK warrantied it but also charged me $17.50 to send my knife back. And that I know now not to send any of my other 4 for a spa treatment as I will do any tweaks myself, including edge sharpening. But I try and keep the factory edge on some that I will eventually trade up with.

I just took home an office mate's Kershaw home with me tonight, to put a mirror edge on it for him. It take me about an hour, but I really enjoy doing it. Not many can do their own edges and especially a mirrored edge, unless they free hand or have a sharpening system.

Last edited:
In my experience new CRKs come fairly stiff and require a break in period. After that period they smooth out. When you first get them they are knives you have to thumb open rather than flick open. Once they break in they can be flicked open, however that is not in the design.

Exactly. And I learned this here in the threads. But you will wait for a long time if ever to get one working smoothly, if the previous owner slightly pinched a washer when re-assembling one. My 2 others 21's operate fine. But they were both used and had a head start on the break in period. Depends on how much they opened and closed it.

In response to Bella blades Post:

Yeah, that’s why it’s best we learn how to tweak these things ourselves and not depend on these companies. 4 to 6 weeks is a long time to lose a favorite EDC.

In response to expidia1's post:

I totally agree. I've been preaching that for the longest time.

Typically I can fix anything better to my liking than a factory any way.

That being said when a knife gets beat to hell I would send it into them. They hook me up every time. And if a lock wore out or something like that they could fix it.

Sadly the 21 is the model they need to fuss with in house for washers. I would be bummed out too.

Last edited:
So now we know Expidia1 pays less for shipping than anyone else judging by using his company of 269,000 employees vs CRK’s 43. I’m truly glad to be enlightened and now that I know he’s fixing stuff himself I have another seller not to buy from.

Is this more of a GBU thread? It has nothing to do with a knife.

So now we know Expidia1 pays less for shipping than anyone else judging by using his company of 269,000 employees vs CRK’s 43. I’m truly glad to be enlightened and now that I know he’s fixing stuff himself I have another seller not to buy from.
What I learned is that a brand new (to you) knife that is not functioning properly can be your favorite EDC.

In response to expidia1's post:

I totally agree. I've been preaching that for the longest time.

Typically I can fix anything better to my liking than a factory any way.

That being said when a knife gets beat to hell I would send it into them. They hook me up every time. And if a lock wore out or something like that they could fix it.

Sadly the 21 is the model they need to fuss with in house for washers. I would be bummed out too.

So what is the verdict on CRK sending us washers for a 21 if we order them. I get conflicting responses. It would be nice to have a spare set as another poster suggested that I should have asked to pay for an extra set before they sent it back to me.

But it is cool they way CRK warranties their knives. Just send it in and they make it like new unless a previous owner screwed with it then she said they have to charge you for the warranty work. A spare set of washers would be nice then I'd have no fear of buying a used older one.

I've been looking to pick up another large seb. 21 for another guy in my office who really liked my 2nd PJ that I gave gifted to my son. I told him I'll watch out for a few year old PJ 21 model for him. Funny how they trade few and far between until I buy one then they appear one after another again, but of course cheaper and newer (or never used) than the one I just bought :(

What I learned is that a brand new (to you) knife that is not functioning properly can be your favorite EDC.

Not following?? and shouldn't your saying at the bottom of your post say: I won't pay for goods and services? I'm sure you have a meaning there that Im missing?

So what is the verdict on CRK sending us washers for a 21 if we order them. I get conflicting responses. It would be nice to have a spare set as another poster suggested that I should have asked to pay for an extra set before they sent it back to me.

But it is cool they way CRK warranties their knives. Just send it in and they make it like new unless a previous owner screwed with it then she said they have to charge you for the warranty work. A spare set of washers would be nice then I'd have no fear of buying a used older one.

I've been looking to pick up another large seb. 21 for another guy in my office who really liked my 2nd PJ that I gave gifted to my son. I told him I'll watch out for a few year old PJ 21 model for him. Funny how they trade few and far between until I buy one then they appear one after another again, but of course cheaper and newer (or never used) than the one I just bought :(

I dunno.

They are not going to ship you washers for the 21..They have to be fitted at the factory regardless of your ability to fit them yourself.
The wrench is included because the design is so simple that even a caveman can do it..er..something like that.
So, to address the making money off of the shipping..I have a question.
How much do you think they made off of you buying your knife on the secondary market to turn around and send it in for service?
Totally serious question- The service is free and they only performed the services that you requested to fix an issue the previous owner likely created.
So, to that end..what do they get out of the $17.50 charge for shipping and insurance plus paying an employee to fix it for free?

* and if you are thinking "I" was the one who probably pinched the washers, and you know this is what the seller would say. . . think again. I've always had an extremely high mechanical apittude and can fix just about anything (and thx Dad).

Pinching a washer isn't difficult even for a mechanical savant such as yourself. The way you break down and put your knife back together definitely matters. On the old CRK website they had a great page on the correct way, gone now of course. When reassembling you should be joining the two handles first and fully tightening those two screws down. Then slide the blade/washer/bushing assembly into the handles. I've never pinched a washer this way (or ever for the matter). Some people build the knife like a sandwich, while it works I believe it's a bit more prone to pinching one (between the two methods).

They are not going to ship you washers for the 21..They have to be fitted at the factory regardless of your ability to fit them yourself.
The wrench is included because the design is so simple that even a caveman can do it..er..something like that.
So, to address the making money off of the shipping..I have a question.
How much do you think they made off of you buying your knife on the secondary market to turn around and send it in for service?
Totally serious question- The service is free and they only performed the services that you requested to fix an issue the previous owner likely created.
So, to that end..what do they get out of the $17.50 charge for shipping and insurance plus paying an employee to fix it for free?

And their warranty and service builds a hell of a lot of goodwill here and with potential buyers . . . Thats why I’ve bought 5 CRK’s past month. Two Mnandi’s arriving wed and thurs. Can’t wait as I’ve never held one. Second one on thurs is a raindrop Damascus blade. Fell in love with that blade pattern the first time I saw one.

And thx for your comments. It’s nice to see a mod active in threads here. A true knife lover I suspect!

Pinching a washer isn't difficult even for a mechanical savant such as yourself. The way you break down and put your knife back together definitely matters. On the old CRK website they had a great page on the correct way, gone now of course. When reassembling you should be joining the two handles first and fully tightening those two screws down. Then slide the blade/washer/bushing assembly into the handles. I've never pinched a washer this way (or ever for the matter). Some people build the knife like a sandwich, while it works I believe it's a bit more prone to pinching one (between the two methods).

ya, ive been sliding the washers in after the handles are loosely put together. I learned that from watching an Apostle vid:

I can say this-I have been extremely happy with CRK customer service going back to 2008 when I ordered my 1st Sebenza(Sm Classic MM African Blackwood)IMG_0003.JPG . People have changed over that time, but I have always received top rate service. I have no problem with the shipping charge and have paid more to others.

Last edited:
And check out this edge that I just put on tonight for a guy in my office. If he likes the edge I can polish it up a little more to erase a few light scratches I can still see. Its his Kershaw Emerson with a G10 handle. Pretty sweet chinese made knife for probably $30-40 bucks new. Feels like my ZT 0562. But I'm not a fan of it's "pants ripping" quick opening wave technology of this Kershaw.

Attachments

• IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
And their warranty and service builds a hell of a lot of goodwill here and with potential buyers . . . Thats why I’ve bought 5 CRK’s past month. Two Mnandi’s arriving wed and thurs. Can’t wait as I’ve never held one. Second one on thurs is a raindrop Damascus blade. Fell in love with that blade pattern the first time I saw one.

And thx for your comments. It’s nice to see a mod active in threads here. A true knife lover I suspect!

The warranty is nice when it's needed..I haven't really needed it but occasionally use the spa service..but then again, I don't pay shipping. 20 minute drive in traffic I guess. Most don't have that choice, but you can guess that when knives are sold and many sold multiple times, they can and do see the same knife for service..Not that they would ever know it without something making it unique. Buyers can be a fickle bunch so you see the same knives change hands multiple times with new owners wanting to leave their own uniqueness..Off to the spa. Really, even with shipping, it's fairly cheap to get something back that looks like it was just made.

There is a reason I am active here in this subforum besides owning many of CRK's knives. I'm still the CRK subforum mod, but was made a super mod about a year or so ago. Please don't confuse the moderator title with some of my commentary..Especially in this subforum. Still very much a fan of the brand and would have the same comments without the titles.

Pic because knifes (sic) Stale pic..but many are still around and have some new friends.

BXM4rq3.jpg

Back