For the Love of Wood

Beautiful Australian hardwoods! Here's one of mine outfitted in some very dark ringed gidgee:

ADGidgeeDam7A_zpszt4uoqnd.jpg

That defined wavering cross grain pattern running perpendicular to the wood's rings looks sensational.
I've never seen Gidgee like that, the crossed patterning of the rings and grain on those scales is unique and spectacular.

Wow! Between Coke Coke and d.r.h. d.r.h. no way can I keep up. Nice stuff, guys.

My meager contribution for today is my snakewood Mnandi. I had never been really taken with that wood, but found this beauty on the Exchange a couple years ago and snapped it up. Turns out the seller lives a couple hundred yards from where I spent two winters after dropping out of college back in the day. His house and that road weren't there back then, but still, it is indeed a small world.

6w8GwqU.jpg

fXRwcpP.jpg

6aO8Fqy.jpg

Last edited:
This was the first knife I sold here on the Exchange back when and my first attempt at knife pics and posting same at BF. As such they're pretty poor, but I'll put 'em up anyway.

I never warmed to this BM300 AXIS Flipper and thought a set of Cuscadi Burlwood scales might help. They didn't really so the knife and scales went on the block. Luke did a fine job with the fitment, but never specified the species and I wasn't really taken with the look, though the feel was nice.

Still, they're wood, so here they are for what it's worth.

SaIMv1J.jpg

XYybIgr.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to post some pics of a budget knife I just shot that's a sentimental favorite, but after the last few posts I think I better up my game today.

The small cocobolo Sebenza 21 was my first CRK which I eventually let go for another knife and cash. I liked it, but the smalls are just not a good fit for my old arthritic carpenter's mitts. I bought the large 21 bocote the day after I bought the small. It's a 2009 "pre-Idaho", was someone else's safe queen, and was so pretty-perfect I couldn't bear to stick it in my pocket. It's now my safe-queen, but I have five other large CRKs to carry and use now.

7LP07gf.jpg

QOLXL0n.jpg

ZxUSJPW.jpg

aE3PbZo.jpg

Here's the knife I was going to post the other day. It's not a high-quality piece by any stretch, but it has a little bit of a story and some sentimental attachment on a couple levels.

Over a decade ago, I bought a cocobolo Bear MGC Sideliner at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks on a family trip to Florida. It was a favorite both as a memento of a happy time together and as I hadn't yet developed any discerning taste in knives. About five years ago some lowlifes broke into our place in Vermont and made off with the knife along with a few other objects. I was determined to find a replacement and it took me several months of occasionally scouring knife dealers to happily find the same model.

Anyway, this knife has at best rather mediocre F&F and a meh 440 SS blade that won't yield a very keen edge. The blade does have a kinda cool highly reflective black coating as you can see in the pics, the feel is nice enough in hand, and the graining on the cocobolo isn't bad. It's not anything I ever really carry, but something I'll hang onto that brings a smile to my face when I pick it up.

ZbKPdW0.jpg

husQZcl.jpg

I was moving all of my images from blasted photobucket to a new host and ... since I was editing my posts, thought I would add another to the beautiful array of woods here. This one sports some juniper covers (love how it smells peppery!)

XvgfjqU.jpg

Last edited:
Not the exotics that others have posted. Still, just some of my "pets". Love wood as well.

BK-BA303G.jpg

Boker Arbolito Relincho Madera

moki-ts-530beg-rosewood-pearl-abalone_1_c66835bc72e1c78a080b95f6e65ed05c.jpg

Moki Bird and Trout

02mb051.1.jpg

Boker Magnum Noblesse

41BGdiNl64L._SX466_.jpg

Herbertz

81qdpWt0-YL._AC_UL300_SR300,300_.jpg

Kubey

Last edited:
Back