Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Nail header should be here today. Any one have any suggestions? Requests? Bets on how much propane it takes me to make one nail?:oops::D

Thought to share this today - has me pretty excited as I can easily do this in my back yard. Of course I need to get some new shoes, some river mud and some other sartorial refinements. The bellows - a fun build project, fully within my capabilities. OK - enjoy!

The knives made by Dave of Crossed Heart Forge are as compelling to me as those by our very own John of Redmeadow Knives. I don't think I'll be forging knives but I can make some nice flat thingies :)

Ray

I heard a nail maker could make about two in a minute. Over a hundred an hour, and you know them guys put in some long days just makin nails!

That is a really cool bellows, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Don't hold your breath - your fire will go out before I get around to making one. All good things in time ...

I heard a nail maker could make about two in a minute. Over a hundred an hour, and you know them guys put in some long days just makin nails!

This is worthy of a WOW. Even in my life time I think about how my father used to build things compared to how I build with my tools and techniques and I'm awed that anything got done. Need to stand back and breathe in some humility as we consider the productivity of past generations.

Forge away John.

Ray

Well said Ray, I used to joke that the things we call hobbies were once necessary parts of the daily toil. Gardening, hunting, reloading, etc.

This morning my daughter (5), asked me if I would make her a nail and put a lot of twists in it to make it pretty so she can hold it and think about me when I go to work. I just made one when Ibheated up the forge to heat up that guard but now I can't find it, off to check my boys pockets, he was just in here:rolleyes:

Ah, but can you forge me one of those stylized fish that came with my thumpled knife;):cool::p.
I liked making that fish, that cocobolo was too nice to throw that scrap away! I've been trying to figure out an animal to forge, other than the usual horse or a dragon. Maybe I'll try a fish.

Back