Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Ha, I must have been thinking about that subconsciously, that's one of my favorite scenes. Too funny.

Perhaps you need to change the title of this thread to Forging: Johnny, what do you make of this?

There is a blade related haiku thread going on over in Traditionals - thought my contribution today was suitable for this thread too, so I share ...

Molecular slip
elemental forces wrought
master draws forth

...and (HARD) candy canes are made :)
Ray

Last edited:
I'm more of a dirty limerick guy but I'll give it a shot:D These are 5/7/5 syllable things right?

Nail header enroute
Many tapers to be drawn
Bonehead bangs away
Ordered a 1/4" Nail Header, some steel, and a set of tongs, should be interesting.

I'm more of a dirty limerick guy but I'll give it a shot:D These are 5/7/5 syllable things right?

Nail header enroute
Many tapers to be drawn
Bonehead bangs away
Ordered a 1/4" Nail Header, some steel, and a set of tongs, should be interesting.
You'll have fun with the header, you got the touch making the small picks and items that you've done already.

Tried out making a simple S hook, pleased with the result but it took way too many heats.
20190104_015056-02.jpeg
The Nail header uis 5 days out, apparently it's coming pony express. I guess they figure if I have the patience to make nails, I can wait:D

Tried out making a simple S hook, pleased with the result but it took way too many heats.
View attachment 1048034
The Nail header uis 5 days out, apparently it's coming pony express. I guess they figure if I have the patience to make nails, I can wait:D
Nice, John, you got the touch! You do loose the heat with small items real fast.

Next... a campfire tripod! :cool::thumbsup:
0044-191x213.jpg

That's awesome Dennis, your work? Are all three stakes identical?

I got a shipment of rod in, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2". Figured I'd get the feel of what sizes I like to work with.

That's awesome Dennis, your work? Are all three stakes identical?

I got a shipment of rod in, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2". Figured I'd get the feel of what sizes I like to work with.
No, not my work, but I want to do one. There are different ways to do the ends, this one is one loop, and the other two are hooks. You can also put two straight in the ground, and one across the top, for a rod to hold multiple items.
CAMP-C-401-Tri_pod_Horzantal.JPG

Glad you got an order of steel, I get mine at Lowes, which is handy, but I think more expensive.

Nice, and adjust the height of things by adding S hooks? That's a good setup.

Yeah it is, I need to make a couple of dozen hooks and get some hammer control down. I spend a lot of time thinking about where and how to strike.

Yeah it is, I need to make a couple of dozen hooks and get some hammer control down. I spend a lot of time thinking about where and how to strike.
That's the whole trick! Literally it's when, how, where, why.

I use to watch a lot of this guys, if you haven't, he's worth checking out. He's great.....I hate him!

That's a great video, it convinced me to get a rounding hammer. His strikes are all deliberate and effective. Mine are like a blind boxer that's had too much to drink!

Back