Forum Knife Updates and comments

I need some opinions. Just got my forum knife yesterday, and I am trying to determine if this may need warranty work.
Covers are nice, no complaints. Action is nice, no complaints. Edges are quite thick, but was expected.

But this thing is GAP CITY!! Gaps everywhere. I was prepared to overlook a couple small gaps, but the springs hardly even touch the liners on either side. The Clip blade side is the worst, where you can actually see the pivot pin through the gaps, which is causing blade play. I am not looking for a safe queen, however, this example may need some help.
0SIDLv2.jpg

Both photos below are of the clip side. Better angle of the pivot pin in second photo.
bgtmYou.jpg

PK3TVuO.jpg

Pics of the covers in case some are curious. They are not matched, but both have good color.
c1J6aLD.jpg

F2lOS5H.jpg
I would definitely send it back.

I need some opinions. Just got my forum knife yesterday, and I am trying to determine if this may need warranty work.
Covers are nice, no complaints. Action is nice, no complaints. Edges are quite thick, but was expected.

But this thing is GAP CITY!! Gaps everywhere. I was prepared to overlook a couple small gaps, but the springs hardly even touch the liners on either side. The Clip blade side is the worst, where you can actually see the pivot pin through the gaps, which is causing blade play. I am not looking for a safe queen, however, this example may need some help.
0SIDLv2.jpg

Both photos below are of the clip side. Better angle of the pivot pin in second photo.
bgtmYou.jpg

PK3TVuO.jpg

Pics of the covers in case some are curious. They are not matched, but both have good color.
c1J6aLD.jpg

F2lOS5H.jpg
BuckCommander, see post #51 in this thread. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/let’s-see-those-forum-knives.1628693/page-3
You should send it in Attn:Jeff Hubbard at Buck will take care of that. Go to the Buck web site and see the form to use on warranty work. HTH, Preston

Received my shipping notice, estimated to arrive on Saturday. Good things come to those who wait (I keep telling myself!)

--Larry

Still anxiously waiting in Arizona
Buck my be sending the knife in parts
Have 4 notices in last 6 hrs that package has departed Phoenix

Barrett, your knife is a great example of "what not to look for in stag covers". You and I seem to have won the ugly stag contest, unfortunately. :(

I am sending mine back to see if Buck can "make it better".

Just a quick comparison. They both are identical in w&t. The clips in both are a little lazy closing. The f&f goes to the CSC by a little. I'm surprised at how similar they really are especially considering how diverse we are in our likes here on the porch.IMG_6957-1024x801.JPG

Just a quick comparison. They both are identical in w&t. The clips in both are a little lazy closing. The f&f goes to the CSC by a little. I'm surprised at how similar they really are especially considering how diverse we are in our likes here on the porch.

It's a great blade combo. I'm anxiously awaiting a shot at a Possum Skinner ...

I believe Frank said ''474"

From Frank's initial ordering instruction post.

A 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife.
Blade steel is CPM-154
Both blades have Full Flat Grind and long pulls.
Bolsters are plain NICKEL SILVER.
Handle material is ELK and this knife will have PINS.
Knife will have a tang stamp
It will come in a plain cardboard box.

474 ordered

I received my two yesterday evening. It's raining here today but I was able to catch a break for some quick photos. My two examples are entirely different as I had hoped they would be. I spent some time last night and this morning looking them over. Here are a few of my observations about the 2018 Traditional Forum knives based on the two that I received.
Some positives
> I received one with knobby elk and one with smooth elk. Both have closely matched thickness and coloring.
> The knobby example I received has the popcorn effect going on big time. I like it, but it has several sharp areas that make it uncomfortable to handle. I can remedy that.
> All four blades have good walk and talk straight out of the box. I would say the sheepsfoot blades are a 5+ and the clips are a 4. Probably typical of Bucks current production range.
> I have no blade movement on either example.
> The elk and bolsters transition very smoothly.

Some negatives
> The blades are thick behind the edge as has been stated. I did not get my caliper out to check yet but I'm guessing I will just for my own benefit.
> Both of my examples do have gaps. The smooth one is worse than the knobby. I was sort of expecting this after seeing some of the others that have been posted. I might not have thought that much about it but I have compared them to my three spring 303 and my import Buck Canoe and they both are a lot better that these two. This is probably my biggest disappointment with these having come from the custom shop.

Thanks to Steven @skblades and Buck for taking on this project. With this being said they are an attractive and totally functional knife for a very attractive price. It's not my style to be negative but I have just tried to be honest with these observations. Now on to some photos.

45400148535_ebd2ce4566_b.jpg

46262778032_b5f471a00e_b.jpg

45400148435_59a97024b2_b.jpg

46262778332_7db23f139d_b.jpg

Like Ron before me, I found two very different knives upon opening my two!
One is pretty gnarly, with good snap - about 5 for each blade. Can't ask for better on that knife. A little touch-up on the edges and it's very good!!
There is a sharp edge here and there on both knives that I can de-burr easily enough.
The second knife has very thin, fairly smooth stag which is kinda cool, but it has one problem that requires the cutlery to repair. The sheepfoot blade has no indication that it will ever snap open. No amount of cleaning working or lubricating makes any difference. Zero snap; I guess I am 1 for 2 . . . . .sigh.
If they fix it well, I'll be all right with it!
Buck forum knives 1.jpg

Received mine on Monday. Couldn't be happier with it. Thin well matched scales. No gaps to speak of. A little oil on the sheepsfoot and the action is good. I received this at the same time as a Dixie Stockman. Pulls are very close between the two. One small detail that is very aesthetically pleasing to me is that the "BOS" etch on the clip blade is visible when closed. Thanks @skblades and Buck for the effort.

Received my 2 knives and slip today, a day early. I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased. Both of mine are light colored (very similar to Waynorth, above). I would have preferred dark and knobby, but that's the luck of the draw - just the way it goes...
Some slight gaps, but not excessive, not a worry for me. Blade feel not perfect, but certainly adequate. I think it will all smooth out once I clean it out, lubricate, and just work the blades. The worst one is already feeling better with minimal opening and closing. I'm surprised you were able to keep the cost reasonable, so more could participate.

One thing I am especially pleased about is that I was afraid they would be smaller. I like the actual size, should be very functional. Very good feel in the hand.

All in all, I think Buck and Steve did a wonderful job. I can't imagine all of the headaches you went through to get us these knives. Many thanks for taking on this project with all of its grief, but offset by the gratitude and appreciation of the members.
I hope you can finally relax and enjoy the Christmas holidays.

Best wishes (and enjoy that new baby Steve -- will be a very special Christmas for your family!)
--Larry

Oh, one more thing: I really appreciate the spec sheet that was included! Nicely done and will be nice a year or two down the road when I'm trying to remember all of the features. Many thanks to the mystery person that made it!

--Larry

While I would have preferred some knobbly stag, I'm satisfied with this knife. I'm going to dye or burn the scales a little though. And I have to get out the stones and take a couple burrs off the insides. Still happy Buck did this for us, and my thanks to all involved!

ywAdbvi.jpg

Back