French regional knives...

Check out the kitchen knife section for knives already made, or there is a services section somewhere on the forums. This may be a silly question, are you trying to find a French maker to do it? Probably not but had to ask if staying with the French theme.
Could be easier to check dedicated French internet sites, there's quite a few. ;)

There were (and are) still a few ferrule knives (after all Opi did not patent the system, there's even a ferrule lag by Dubost) but few can make a living of it because Opi is ferocious and has a powerful sale (strike) force.
Btw, seems the black one is wenge. (from top : beech, oak, olive wood, bubinga, padauk, wenge, boxwood) Blade is 12C27.
ori-couteau-pliant-le-marjacq-4146_6476.jpg
Are these for sale, or is that an outdated advertisement, JP??

I think it is a period advertisment, but it is not too difficult to find any kind of wood.
I'm not sure but there's also another brand of specialized knives with the same ferrrule...
View attachment 1516641
Very interesting, JP!! Chunky handles, and specific blades!!;)
Inexpensive!!:p:D

Hi,
Here are two old new by Les Vieilles Lames .
A Tiré droit with a heather wood handle . It was made in Thiers by the Armory James in the town of Autun, east of France. The knife's name was Le Galvacher . Here is its story :
https://www.lejsl.com/edition-autun/2019/09/07/le-galvacher-symbole-de-robustesse-et-de-perennite

51002674346_06647475fa_c.jpg

51002692181_2139a2cab1_c.jpg

The second one in a tonneau (barrel) with a horn handle from Pradel.
51002792552_bfae379e86_c.jpg

51002674356_be248955b4_c.jpg

51002674386_58218a3880_c.jpg

JM
A couple of Beauties, J-M!!:cool: Nice Resurrections!!:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Bad news today, the loss of Renaud Aubry, founder of Artisan Coutelier, after a lengthy illness.
renaud10.jpg

Thanks for the Brel video, we share yet another passion. What a great song. When I first heard him it was in college with a young female Francophile and it took me about a year before I could figure out who he was. When I heard him again, I committed his name to memory.

Thanks for the Brel video, we share yet another passion. What a great song. When I first heard him it was in college with a young female Francophile and it took me about a year before I could figure out who he was. When I heard him again, I committed his name to memory.
You're welcome.:) He was a great showman, imho Amsterdam is one of the best live performance ever. (full show here)

Baribal_FdM-1.jpg

IThere's a bloodhound on the track, appears they're made, by Roger Orfèvre, Thiers of course. :)
Thanks, JP! Unusual blades and handles!chunky handles.jpg
Knives specifically for: (respectively)Mushrooms, Garlic, Oysters and Grafting/Budding!:D

Last edited:
Back