G-shock Why?

got my G-Shock today!!!
IMG_20140515_165910_503_zps3d07d029.jpg

IMG_20140515_165837_053_zps0b77dad3.jpg

Exact same one I have. I haven't figured out all the features yet but it's great. Nice size also. I almost went with the blacked out one but I had this one on a Christmas list and this is the one I received from my wife so it's a win win for me.

I can understand wanting a rugged, digital quartz, but I think this $16 watch would work just as well for 99% of people. And quite honestly I think it looks better than a G-Shock.

41sCVEEtC0L.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, but why do we have so many different kinds of knife with the same steel, locking mechanism and deployment? Because this is capitalism and we all want slightly different things. :)

I have two Casio 691 G-Shocks. One is the rectangular face, no rubber or plastic left on it, I found it laying in the street somewhere, and it has been in a drawer ever since, must be 8 years + and it is still running. It must have had a rough life, but it is the right date and the time does need to be re-set. The other is a round faced 691. I saw a Royal Marine wearing one at the British Jungle Warfare Course in Brunei in 1987, and when I got to Ft Lewis, WA in 1988, looked around till I found one. I liked its ruggedness and the dual time zone as we worked in Zulu time for commo, but local time when working with locals (makes sense, right). I swam that watch, dove with it, jumped it and drug it all over on field problems and it never stopped. I bought a Suunto Vector when they came out in 2000 as I like Finnish stuff, and cannot remember for sure when I last changed the battery on that round faced 691, but it has to be 8+ years, and the watch is still running, but it is about 12 minutes off and needs to be reset. I knew several soldiers who wore Rolexs in garrison, but switched to G-Shocks when going to the field, for all the reasons already stated, mostly that it to borrow the old Timex commercial "Takes a licking and Keeps on Ticking". John

I keep finding little things that amuse me about the watch. For instance, the digital displays turn off after a while and "wake up" when one turns the watch. Like in the morning after sitting on the counter all night.

I like the option to turn the light on when the watch is rotated to view. Hold the button for 3 seconds to turn that feature on.

I can understand wanting a rugged, digital quartz, but I think this $16 watch would work just as well for 99% of people. And quite honestly I think it looks better than a G-Shock.

41sCVEEtC0L.jpg

You're right about that, and if you look at the original G-shock, there's very little difference to the one you posted. Personally, the newer styles are quite interesting.

I do not dismiss Rolex watches as mere jewelry-they are fine machines. But unless those Rolex are fine-tuned by an expert on a regular basis, if they are ticking, they gonna be waaaay off.cwd

From my experience, this is true. The couple of Rolex watches that I have come in contact with (I don't own but know the owners), all do not keep accurate time.

From my experience, this is true. The couple of Rolex watches that I have come in contact with (I don't own but know the owners), all do not keep accurate time.

Define "accurate"?
Rolex are COSC chronometers which, if properly serviced, have to meet specific accuracy guidelines. Obviously, they're no way as accurate as a cell phone/syncing Gshock but they should be accurate enough for any reasonable requirement. Heck, Apollo 11 survived due to a non-syncing Omega Speedy, plenty of military operations prior to the 70s were executed with the aid of mechanical watches, etc.

41sCVEEtC0L.jpg

I wore one of those for many years. Great watch, and it stood up to anything including time. The only reason I switched to a Timex Expedition was that in late middle age, I had trouble seeing what time it was in dim light without hitting the light button. Plus, too many times I dug into my jeans pocket after something, and the seam at the top of the pocket would hit one of the mode buttons, and next time I'd go look to see the time, the stop watch was running or I'd be on duel time, or something. I just went to a simple analog watch. But Casio watches are like Bic lighters, they always work when you need them. No fuss, no muss.

71PSiVsvwyL._UY679_.jpg

Features that I like on my watch:
Solar power
Atomic
Water proof
Durable

Of course its more like: stop watch, alarm, etc...

I end up reaching for this one the most if I'm not dressing up.

Have a Rangeman that should arrive on Monday. This one came in today, recently purchased here on the exchange. :D

2014-06-07150133_zpsb484d24d.jpg

This is my GW-3000 G-Shock:

relogio-casio-g-shock-gw3000-gw-3000-aviador-completo-11653-MLB20047811117_022014-F.jpg

I went with the titanium bracelet for longevity. I do not want to deal with resin rot and changing straps.

:thumbup: Awesome watch, discreet, if only a bit large for formal occasions.

Have a Rangeman that should arrive on Monday. This one came in today, recently purchased here on the exchange. :D

2014-06-07150133_zpsb484d24d.jpg

That watch is just too big for your wrist. Anytime the lugs extend beyond either (or both) side(s) of your wrist, you should look for a watch with a smaller diameter case.

That watch is just too big for your wrist. Anytime the lugs extend beyond either (or both) side(s) of your wrist, you should look for a watch with a smaller diameter case.

Unless the wearer LIKES that look on himself. Neither of us set the fashions.

Unless the wearer LIKES that look on himself. Neither of us set the fashions.
Regarding "fashion" -- that is set by society. Fashion has never kept others from wearing what they want, whether it was fashionable or not. No different than so many of the yutes not long ago wearing their paints so low they'd advertise the availability of their asses and what type of drawers they were wearing --- is was what the wearers liked as far as looks on themselves.

Big difference is that a watch is , first and foremost. Lugs sticking beyond the wrists just makes sure those lugs bang into things and dig into the arms of chairs, sofas, other furniture, etc.

Back