GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

Let's end the weekend with a little abalone.

duLfpO7.jpg

Sick of me yet? Okay don't answer that as where else could I post all of my #25s? I had an excellent mail call kind of day.

First, @Rockon75 is one awesome guy. He sent me a message stating that he might have a #25 that I don't have. Well he certainly was not kidding. He offered me a Mammoth Barlow (#250109B)! And if any of you know me then you know that my passions are mammoth, #25s and Northwoods so if I can combine more than one of those together you might imagine how my head can spin! I managed to find an item he was willing to trade in exchange which is a miracle in itself as my collection has *dwindled* down to mainly keepers. I use the term dwindle very lightly in this situation. The mammoth Barlow pairs nicely with the jack.

CuM0EKZ.jpg

And then second, I received an arrowhead jig from 2009 as well (#250109J). I usually prefer smooth bone but my tastes are changing especially after seeing this one.

bpBj3oK.jpg

And then for my third knife of the day, a Bulldog Brand abalone from 2010.

1ZlMgsp.jpg

Hi David i just got a #25 in Goldenrod jig bone and have been playing this mod over in my mind , but have been thinking Dremel as that is what i have but what you used is clearly not a Dremel, it looks as if you clamped the knife in a bench vice and bought the grinding wheel down freehand using an electric drill , could you please tell me the specification of the grind wheel so that i can order one, thank you in advance.
PS luck did not come into it, i am guessing a firm hand a steady eye and perhaps a silent prayer , anyhoo it looks like a fine job to me.

Hi Oldmanrunning, sorry that I am replying to you so late. I have been busy at work and I just saw your message. Attached is a photo of 3 different grinding stones that I used to create the EZ open notch. You are very observant and correctly outlined exactly how I performed the procedure. I used the smallest stone first and worked my way up. Good luck with your modification!

IMG_3257.JPG

I really thought the polished stag was going to be my least favorite from this run but it turned out to be the exact opposite. I love mine. Yours looks perfect!
I had an optimistic good feeling of what it would look like. I really liked the third cut stag TC Barlows from a few years ago, but this stuff has more inclusions.

Here is the other side. Not a great match, but not bad.
IMG_5303.JPG

Last edited:
Travman Travman that is a nice example of the polished stag you have there. There was definitely some variation in these, and I noticed some of them had quite a bit of white coloring, but I really like the ones that came out that darker honey color.

Here's mine. (Pretty sure I've shared these photos in this thread before, but what the heck.) :D

KQ3KJm1.jpg

tmMt93U.jpg

Nt2Jlq0.jpg

Hi Oldmanrunning, sorry that I am replying to you so late. I have been busy at work and I just saw your message. Attached is a photo of 3 different grinding stones that I used to create the EZ open notch. You are very observant and correctly outlined exactly how I performed the procedure. I used the smallest stone first and worked my way up. Good luck with your modification!

View attachment 780318

Hi again David, i had gone ahead and taken the plunge but was not real pleased with the outcome, so i let it sit for a while and took another swing at it but was still not sure so i let it sit some more before taking what i hoped was my last shot, well after some grinding and buffing it was OK ish, i showed it to a fellow knife nut, "I have seen worse" he said, talk about being damned with faint praise. Then i saw your post with the stones you used, so i offered up a prayer to the saint of dumb asses and took my last shot with the full range of stones and if i do say so myself it aint half bad, the finished job looks a bit like the two knives in post #1873 by joeradza , wide enough so my thumb fits exactly in to the notch but not to deep , i guess it could do with being a touch nearer the centre rivet but it works ok and after steeping it in my coffee grounds to colour up the white of the ground bone i am pleased with it and if i finally figure out how to post pictures i will put some up here.

Hi again David, i had gone ahead and taken the plunge but was not real pleased with the outcome, so i let it sit for a while and took another swing at it but was still not sure so i let it sit some more before taking what i hoped was my last shot, well after some grinding and buffing it was OK ish, i showed it to a fellow knife nut, "I have seen worse" he said, talk about being damned with faint praise. Then i saw your post with the stones you used, so i offered up a prayer to the saint of dumb asses and took my last shot with the full range of stones and if i do say so myself it aint half bad, the finished job looks a bit like the two knives in post #1873 by joeradza , wide enough so my thumb fits exactly in to the notch but not to deep , i guess it could do with being a touch nearer the centre rivet but it works ok and after steeping it in my coffee grounds to colour up the white of the ground bone i am pleased with it and if i finally figure out how to post pictures i will put some up here.

Hey Oldmanrunning, glad to be of help to you. Nothing like your own personal knife with modification. Would love to see the pictures!

Back