GEC 39 Old Sheffield Jack

I'm having a hard time envisioning a manufacturer caring enough about what happens on the second-hand market to bother adding an extra step, with the attendant cost, time, and effort, to their process. With the exception of Case's highly collector-focused business model where they risk alienating their base if they don't make collector-specific concessions, I just don't see it.

I expect, like with most features that don't add any specific functionality to the tool, it's probably seen as just another opportunity for branding and product differentiation. From my time in product marketing, once the sale occurs, the majority of the company (customer service being the exception) marks it down as a win and moves on - they couldn't care if the product goes in a pocket, a display case, or the dump.
Hey, don’t shoot the messenger 🤣

Etches are embellishments , they sometimes look very appealing or else awful according to your taste. It certainly requires some extra time in the finishing process but it adds presence, looks, brand or makes a statement. Think of the Crown Lifter etch that GEC came up with some years back, looked tasteful & amusing and was a clear dig at the then very fading Queen Cutlery. ;)

93oPLmN.jpg

If you have a carbon knife as a user which you patinate or regularly polish, the etch and its position is immaterial. For collectors of the pristine, preservation is everything :) Had some stainless knives with etches I dislike and that's a chore getting them off !

Last edited:
Curious, I don't get the reference, but would like to know. What is the dig ? Had a few libations this evening so maybe it is obvious but I don't see it ?
Historical reference; Bill (GEC) left Queen after over 30 years to (finally) form his own company (GEC)!!! The joke is lifting the crown off the Queen's head!!! Which Bill certainly did!!!

Etches are embellishments , they sometimes look very appealing or else awful according to your taste. It certainly requires some extra time in the finishing process but it adds presence, looks, brand or makes a statement. Think of the Crown Lifter etch that GEC came up with some years back, looked tasteful & amusing and was a clear dig at the then very fading Queen Cutlery. ;)

93oPLmN.jpg

If you have a carbon knife as a user which you patinate or regularly polish, the etch and its position is immaterial. For collectors of the pristine, preservation is everything :) Had some stainless knives with etches I dislike and that's a chore getting them off !
Now this is a crown lifter will,you seem to find some really nice mahogany/whiskey/tobacco/golden honey/ brownish covers.

waynorth waynorth Thanks Charlie for giving the historical perspective . Fact is sadly it was apt, Queen Cutlery an old firm and being a neighbour of GEC fell into an abyss. This is compounded by both Howard and Daniels having set up GEC from working at Queen, then Daniels parted from GEC and later bought up Queen Cutlery. As Charles Dickens wrote, "It was both the best of times it was the worst of times" Queen made many great knives but towards its end they were making knives not to be regarded as desirable and reliable I'm afraid. Hence the passing of the Crown, Queen's symbol.

I have that 15 Crown Lifter in my pocket today, a fine all-steel testament to GEC prowess.

Historical reference; Bill (GEC) left Queen after over 30 years to (finally) form his own company (GEC)!!! The joke is lifting the crown off the Queen's head!!! Which Bill certainly did!!!

Well, OK ! Thank you for the info, I love knowing everything I can about the things I collect. Great story 👏

Charlie, you sure don't need to file the kick on that old Russell! I've never seen a blade sit so deeply in the well on any other knife.

Most etches I like,what I dont like is when you use the knife they disappear.

Couldnt they be stronger/deeper maybe?
I've noticed some knife retailers offer a "customisation" service for knives they're selling. Say the initials of someone etched in by laser.
I've been wondering myself if these firms would be open to redoing the original etch if the laser operates through an image file, and going a little deeper??

Back