GEC 39 Old Sheffield Jack

Wouldn't mind another run of these at all!

dW7iAsd.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, the term is "church window" not church key, I miss remembered. It's in the 2nd video on the Madison by Derek. Also referenced in Levine's under the curved regular Jacks section. Alex.Y. Alex.Y.
5VEO7Pp.jpg
Yeah, though I am not sure I understand correctly why it is called like that. Is it because bolsters resemble a long tall church window?

Johnny go stand in the corner and write 100 lines. 😆

I must not buy anymore knifes and keep my promise to myself.

Ah I am weak, I only went and bought one of these,it should arrive tomorrow.😅

You will like the 39,I put a small piece of leather under spear blade to allow the nail nick to ride higher,it came out a few times,but seeing as it's going to be a regular user I might glue it in.also might lower front pen blade,maybe someone might chime in with best option,had same problem on 78 2 blade

Johnny go stand in the corner and write 100 lines. 😆

Ah I am weak, I only went and bought one of these,it should arrive tomorrow.😅

The 39s in Elderberry Camel Bone and Pioneer Bone respectively, were my third and fourth GEC knives - right after the Yellow Rose Bone and Red Onion Micarta 81 Coon Skinners. As the Coon Skinner is kind of a niche pattern, I felt like it was these that really showed me the difference between GEC and every other extant pocket cutlery manufacturer. I think you'll like it a lot!

You will like the 39,I put a small piece of leather under spear blade to allow the nail nick to ride higher,it came out a few times,but seeing as it's going to be a regular user I might glue it in.also might lower front pen blade,maybe someone might chime in with best option,had same problem on 78 2 blade
I had the same thought the other day as I was fiddling with the Elderberry Camel Bone 39. The long pull is mostly behind the pen blade, but I realized I never had an issue opening it. Upon examining my technique, it seems I naturally want to grab the long pull just forward of where the spine of the pen blade starts to dip down to its point. Not that there's anywhere else to grab it, but that would be the point of maximum leverage so it works for me with no modification.

Lovely knife. The covers give an almost CokeBottle shape to the handle 👌
I've had to go overseas to Canada for an Elderberry number as I just don't have the contacts here.
Posted to relatives there who are coming over in the summer, the wait is excruciating 😑
Where are you in the world?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why so many producers put a big logo mark across the center of the blade? Does that have some historical origin? I feel like there is something obvious I must not be understanding about that because I feel like most people would prefer the plain blade.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why so many producers put a big logo mark across the center of the blade? Does that have some historical origin? I feel like there is something obvious I must not be understanding about that because I feel like most people would prefer the plain blade.
I'd read (on here I'm sure) the light etched billboarding helped to identify secondhand knives being sold-off as new if someone had used then cleaned them up? I can see it working for that for sure but not much cop on stainless blades.
So mainly I think its just good ol'fashioned advertising pre internet, magazines and catalogues probably didn't see as many hands as you'd think?

I'd read (on here I'm sure) the light etched billboarding helped to identify secondhand knives being sold-off as new if someone had used then cleaned them up? I can see it working for that for sure but not much cop on stainless blades.
So mainly I think its just good ol'fashioned advertising pre internet, magazines and catalogues probably didn't see as many hands as you'd think?

That's really interesting, thanks!

I'm having a hard time envisioning a manufacturer caring enough about what happens on the second-hand market to bother adding an extra step, with the attendant cost, time, and effort, to their process. With the exception of Case's highly collector-focused business model where they risk alienating their base if they don't make collector-specific concessions, I just don't see it.

I expect, like with most features that don't add any specific functionality to the tool, it's probably seen as just another opportunity for branding and product differentiation. From my time in product marketing, once the sale occurs, the majority of the company (customer service being the exception) marks it down as a win and moves on - they couldn't care if the product goes in a pocket, a display case, or the dump.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a manufacturer caring enough about what happens on the second-hand market to bother adding an extra step, with the attendant cost, time, and effort, to their process. With the exception of Case's highly collector-focused business model where they risk alienating their base if they don't make collector-specific concessions, I just don't see it.

I expect, like with most features that don't add any specific functionality to the tool, it's probably seen as just another opportunity for branding and product differentiation. From my time in product marketing, once the sale occurs, the majority of the company (customer service being the exception) marks it down as a win and moves on - they couldn't care if the product goes in a pocket, a display case, or the dump.

I didnt see any mention of ebay in that 1928 CJ Johnson film clip I posted here for you all to enjoy. 😆

Just saying,as I know nothing. 😅

Back