GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I'm always on the fence about 2 blade jack knives because of this. I usually prefer pen configurations for multiple blades. I've been using mine and have found that the main blade I don't use for super hard work, at least not yet. I use it to slice stuff up, and I don't have to choke up on the handle so far, or I'm just holding it reverse when I'm using that. The hidden tang of the coping blade makes it easy to choke up on there, and I've used that blade for wood carving. Also, opening and closing seems to knock a little of the edge off the tangs. I have considered hitting mine with some 600 grit paper to smooth them some more. I don't get the same digging on old Schrades or Cases that have the rounded smooth profile tangs.
Did you use it when carving that arrow head in your profile pic? Looks very cool.

Carrying my #35 Churchill alongside my #77 single blade has got me thinking about handle depth--not the thickness laterally, but vertically. While I like a thinner thickness in the handle generally, I have appreciated the extra depth that the Churchill has compared to the 77 or even the 78. That little bit of extra gives the thinner profile a little bit more to get a hold of in the fingers. It makes me wonder what a 77 barlow would feel like with a little bit more depth, and whether it would ruin the lines created by the handle to blade ration in that dimension.

What do ya'll think?

Carrying my #35 Churchill alongside my #77 single blade has got me thinking about handle depth--not the thickness laterally, but vertically. While I like a thinner thickness in the handle generally, I have appreciated the extra depth that the Churchill has compared to the 77 or even the 78. That little bit of extra gives the thinner profile a little bit more to get a hold of in the fingers. It makes me wonder what a 77 barlow would feel like with a little bit more depth, and whether it would ruin the lines created by the handle to blade ration in that dimension.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks for posting that, Joshua. I don't own a #77 but there are many reasons why I like the Churchill. Among them was one that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I know what it is now.

This is the reason I much prefer a #6 Pemberton to the Case Peanut. The Pemberton has a thinner handle, but with much more depth. Easier to hold, use, and work hard. Yet it’s about 1/8” shorter overall!

I’ve never handled a Churchill, but have plenty of #77s. I’ll have to get ahold of a #35 to see the difference.

What do ya'll think?

Sorry fellow porch dwellers for the above post. I understand why we can't talk about that stuff here.

I will contribute to the thread and post my blood red sawcut that I was able to land on a standby. It was the only one I wanted and it came through. It's a great knife, very happy to have it. Thanks Mike!

iVhByQL.jpg

Mike - For your next SFO run you should remove everything GEC from the tangs and use your name like Smith & Sons did for their Mudbugs. Even develop your own product number like they did.

LASSEN KNIVES
USA

XXXXXXXX
Maybe someone already suggested this. If They did, I didn't see it.

Mike - For your next SFO run you should remove everything GEC from the tangs and use your name like Smith & Sons did for their Mudbugs. Even develop your own product number like they did.

I have generally contemplated this and don't see any real incentive. First off, with such great factory brands, I don't see the advantage to trying to market some new name. Secondly, my part in the process is sending a factory money and delivering customers knives - it seems a bit proud to start changing names for that measly function.

Haven’t posted this here yet, because I hadn’t carried the knife until today. I was lucky enough to get the email from Mike that some of these hadn’t sold, and seemed to have a pick of what was left. Despite having really taken to the ironwood, my hope for the original lottery was to end up with the micarta, so that’s what I said I wanted. I think I probably felt luckier to get one the second go round than if I had won in the first place! What a rollercoaster ride you sent me on, Mike. Thank you! This is my first day bringing her out, as I’m feeling the need for a little luck today.
EFC75EE6-8782-43FB-8A64-7133B849A1CE.jpeg AD8C3687-D523-41B5-AF52-526624C7884F.jpeg

I see your point. Maybe something subtle like under the product number on the pile side of the main blade you could have it stamped:

LASSEN SFO​

I still have no urge to carry anything else. But if I did, it would probably be the micarta version. This was such a great run off knives.

eIrxjoWh.jpg
Me as well, my knife hasn't left my pocket since I received it. I have carried other knives to pair up with it but it's been my primary!

I still have no urge to carry anything else. But if I did, it would probably be the micarta version. This was such a great run off knives.

eIrxjoWh.jpg

Me as well, my knife hasn't left my pocket since I received it. I have carried other knives to pair up with it but it's been my primary!

Guys, even though I haven't been carrying mine exclusively, I agree with you. If you only wanted one knife this one would be hard to beat.

Back