GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

We need another run of these .

You are absolutely right... since getting one, this has been my favorite! Any ideas/rumors as to when we could see another run?

I totally agree. This last run of 77's is pretty much the perfect Barlow, as far as I'm concerned. Perfection. If the next run was identical, but with some different cover options, I'd be all in like a poker player, pushing my giant pile of chips into my shopping cart.

Since getting this ironwood, there hasn't been a single day that it hasn't graced my pocket.

qb1aeBuh.jpg

I totally agree. This last run of 77's is pretty much the perfect Barlow, as far as I'm concerned. Perfection. If the next run was identical, but with some different cover options, I'd be all in like a poker player, pushing my giant pile of chips into my shopping cart.

Since getting this ironwood, there hasn't been a single day that it hasn't graced my pocket.

qb1aeBuh.jpg
Buzz that's a beauty! It wears that patina so well! A truly classy classic! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

Travman Travman - beautiful knife. I have the same knife patiently waiting an edc rotation. It’s a forever knife as I have named it the “lottery” knife.

I think I went 0 for 5 tries on the 77 lottery. Then out of the blue I get an email from Mr. Latham offering me a choice of the leftover 77’s that people did not pay for after winning the lottery. That shows what a solid guy Mr. Latham is.

I can't get enough of the last run of 77's. The Iron wood has seen pretty much all of the pocket time thus far, but I just started prepping up my linen micarta for use. The blades are all sharpened. Just need to tighten up the pivot pin a bit, as there's a small amount of play.

EhgUn5zh.jpg

Travman Travman - beautiful knife. I have the same knife patiently waiting an edc rotation. It’s a forever knife as I have named it the “lottery” knife.

I think I went 0 for 5 tries on the 77 lottery. Then out of the blue I get an email from Mr. Latham offering me a choice of the leftover 77’s that people did not pay for after winning the lottery. That shows what a solid guy Mr. Latham is.
I'm glad to hear you were able to get one. It took me a while to find one too. I was on the standby list a few times and finally one came through.

I like the last run very much. I especially like the treatment of the covers; the squared end and chamfered edges were not only a delight on the ironwood, but also on the smooth pink bone. I really love my pink one for this reason. It's been rare to get this treatment on smooth bone! I still wonder how it would look on micarta...not sure, but it would be interesting to see a prototype!

My one critique on this last run is the coping blade peeps out in front of the main blade. From looking through these comments no one seems to care too much, but it struck me as odd the first time I saw it and, to be candid, it still seems a little odd now. It's not terrible, of course, but it just looks a little less...planned and polished than the other two-blade models in the past. While I think the knives from the last run represent some of the best covers we've seen on the #77 barlow, I do believe that the #77 spear + coping is the best #77 to date. It looks so slick and squared-away. I'll add a pic soon.

Couple thoughts....

--I wonder whether we would see that "coping peep" if the non-pinch-able clip was used (the same clip as used on the BF Stag Jack). Since the "pinch-able clip" is not pinch-able in a clip + coping configuration, there would be no loss in gong with the non-pinchable clip and we might gain an (aesthetic) advantage of having a "peepless" coping set up. A matchstriker longpull would look pretty cool on the non-pinch-able clip. Has that ever been done?

--Of course, love me a crescent-nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge! It would be wonderful to see a single clip #77 with a standard crescent nail nick and a hand-drawn swedge. Can I hear an "AMEN!?":thumbsup::thumbsup:
I believe the best #15 barlow to date is the reg jigged clip and/or the walnut clip, from the run that saw the crescent nail nick.

--Anyone have an interest in a one-arm #77 barlow??? It seems these are not as popular when in stock, but once they do sell out, they become really sought-after....posthumously, so-to-speak.:rolleyes:

I like the last run very much. I especially like the treatment of the covers; the squared end and chamfered edges were not only a delight on the ironwood, but also on the smooth pink bone. I really love my pink one for this reason. It's been rare to get this treatment on smooth bone! I still wonder how it would look on micarta...not sure, but it would be interesting to see a prototype!

My one critique on this last run is the coping blade peeps out in front of the main blade. From looking through these comments no one seems to care too much, but it struck me as odd the first time I saw it and, to be candid, it still seems a little odd now. It's not terrible, of course, but it just looks a little less...planned and polished than the other two-blade models in the past. While I think the knives from the last run represent some of the best covers we've seen on the #77 barlow, I do believe that the #77 spear + coping is the best #77 to date. It looks so slick and squared-away. I'll add a pic soon.

Couple thoughts....

--I wonder whether we would see that "coping peep" if the non-pinch-able clip was used (the same clip as used on the BF Stag Jack). Since the "pinch-able clip" is not pinch-able in a clip + coping configuration, there would be no loss in gong with the non-pinchable clip and we might gain an (aesthetic) advantage of having a "peepless" coping set up. A matchstriker longpull would look pretty cool on the non-pinch-able clip. Has that ever been done?

--Of course, love me a crescent-nail nick with a hand-drawn swedge! It would be wonderful to see a single clip #77 with a standard crescent nail nick and a hand-drawn swedge. Can I hear an "AMEN!?":thumbsup::thumbsup:
I believe the best #15 barlow to date is the reg jigged clip and/or the walnut clip, from the run that saw the crescent nail nick.

--Anyone have an interest in a one-arm #77 barlow??? It seems these are not as popular when in stock, but once they do sell out, they become really sought-after....posthumously, so-to-speak.:rolleyes:

The secondary on my micarta runs dead even with the clip blade. But due to the shape of the clip, it does appear to run a tad high.

I’m not sure if I’d want squared off micarta covers. The weave of the micarta tends to get pretty rough where it isn’t smoothed out. I personally love the look of the rounded micarta covers, especially after they’ve become polished with use.

DeL8DWHh.jpg

But I do agree that the spear/coping run was extraordinarily good. Everything about the knife was executed to perfection. The pull on the main blade was just a bit too strong for me personally, but only by a small amount. I really like the pull on the latest clip/coping run. It’s exactly where I like it.

ALGWiD1h.jpg

fJYcicZh.jpg

The secondary on my micarta runs dead even with the clip blade. But due to the shape of the clip, it does appear to run a tad high.

I’m not sure if I’d want squared off micarta covers. The weave of the micarta tends to get pretty rough where it isn’t smoothed out. I personally love the look of the rounded micarta covers, especially after they’ve become polished with use.

DeL8DWHh.jpg

But I do agree that the spear/coping run was extraordinarily good. Everything about the knife was executed to perfection. The pull on the main blade was just a bit too strong for me personally, but only by a small amount. I really like the pull on the latest clip/coping run. It’s exactly where I like it.

ALGWiD1h.jpg

fJYcicZh.jpg
I think you're probably right about the micarta. Great pics! Really shows off the two knives. I guess we won't see much canvas on NFs anymore. Beautiful examples, Buzzbait Buzzbait .

Excellent suggestion Buzz, but with this improvement: a beveled edge on the caplifter so it can double as a coping blade. You can still use the caplifter and slotted driver just like before, but with the added utility of a straight-edge. Of course, the main would be a clip.

EdgedCaplifter.jpg

Buzzbait Buzzbait it's not often I regret selling a knife but your #77 Ironwood pics are starting to make me want to kick myself. Such a gorgeous knife sir. Wish I still had mine.

Couple thoughts....

I thought the height of the coping blade was a strange choice, too, most notably in use. Gripping the knife to use the main blade, you feel the coping spring actuate while your fingers depress the blade into the well. It isn't bad, it just happens. Looks like the same will be true on the 86s, so there must be a reason.

I'd be interested in another run with the old style clip. I was looking at some pictures that Charlie posted if the old schrade cut co knives on the 3 5/8" frame, and not only is there an uncanny resemblance to those knife and GECs blades, but those knives use a similar clip profile to the first 77 clip blade.

One arm I'm not in to personally, but you're right, people do love them and they're different from everything else. A wharncliffe/sheepsfoot and pen would be cool, as would a single spear.

I'd love to see another run of #77s. I liked how Mike did the last drop, the drawings we're cool. I liked seeing members here getting a #77 that hadnth had a shot at one.

I'd love to see another run of #77s. I liked how Mike did the last drop, the drawings we're cool. I liked seeing members here getting a #77 that hadnth had a shot at one.
Interesting you say that Taylor. I entered every single drawing (lottery) and came up zero. And even after all of that Mike offered me a "second" which I of course jumped all over. It is absolutely unequivocally one of my most treasured knives. And I might add the ONLY 77 barlow I own. Wouldn't trade it for anything. While I found the whole ordeal exasperating I greatly appreciated the efforts he went through to see that some others were able to acquire one. fullsizeoutput_7b5.jpeg

Interesting you say that Taylor. I entered every single drawing (lottery) and came up zero. And even after all of that Mike offered me a "second" which I of course jumped all over. It is absolutely unequivocally one of my most treasured knives. And I might add the ONLY 77 barlow I own. Wouldn't trade it for anything. While I found the whole ordeal exasperating I greatly appreciated the efforts he went through to see that some others were able to acquire one. View attachment 1081986
Ya, I never landed one in any of the raffles but I did get the exact cover I wanted from a generous member here. I think it was fun and exciting waiting to see if I got drawn.

Back