GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

First post
I was able to obtain one of these new 77s on a secondary market. I own ~20 GEC knives and I have to say that this NF Barlow has become an instant favorite. I can't keep it out of my pocket when I'm not at work. My work has restrictions on a 2-1/2" blade length so I usually carry a 25 or a 15 at work. But as soon as I'm home it gets swapped for my 77. Mine has the Elderberry handle and I LOVE it. The deep reds, the soft pinks, the patches of white and the grain showing through. It has such an interesting look to it and I love that it's not "perfect". Hopefully I'll get the whole picture posting thing figured out so I can contribute more. Just wanted to say thanks for making "the knife" I've been searching for.

Are there any whittlers (person, not knife) on here, like "ball in a cage" or that level whittling?

I've done a few ball-in-cages, but not for many years. I'm actually contemplating whittling again, just to test out the sheepsfoot on my 77.

I've carried this a couple times a week for years. Probably ~3 years, or since the sheepfoot 77s were released. Seems like patina is favored on the porch, but I take pride keeping mine shiny and clean.
hi1ZQhp.jpg

I've carried this a couple times a week for years. Probably ~3 years, or since the sheepfoot 77s were released. Seems like patina is favored on the porch, but I take pride keeping mine shiny and clean.
hi1ZQhp.jpg
I don’t use my carbon knives for food, so I don’t generally have much patina. The think looks razor sharp too. :thumbsup:

I was ALWAYS a single bladed kind of guy. This double bladed #77 has changed the way I think about what I carry. Carry something diffrdiff you might actually enjoy it!
irCqYKU.jpg

Ah, look; there is your #1. I traded my 2-blade sawcut for a single blade sawcut in green. I don't regret it, but I do sometimes wonder whether the 2-blade would have grown on me. I like the idea of having two blade in one knife, but I don't like tangs or blade digging into my fingers. Guess I need to get more callouses!

Ah, look; there is your #1. I traded my 2-blade sawcut for a single blade sawcut in green. I don't regret it, but I do sometimes wonder whether the 2-blade would have grown on me. I like the idea of having two blade in one knife, but I don't like tangs or blade digging into my fingers. Guess I need to get more callouses!

66 Jack *cough cough*

I was ALWAYS a single bladed kind of guy. This double bladed #77 has changed the way I think about what I carry. Carry something diffrdiff you might actually enjoy it!
irCqYKU.jpg
That thing is beautiful!
I constantly find myself being surprised with what I like. You just never know for sure until you hold it/ use it.

Back