GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Next to "splinter-picker" in the dictionary, you will find an image of the wharncliffe blade on this knife.

IMG_3758_zpscdb54aa7.jpg

My African Blackwood NF barlow has been catching quite the patina just from staying in my hand so long while whittling.
Love this knife. Perfectly center springs in he open and closed positions, blades centered, and general F&F is superb!
Thanks again Mike! And I looove the NF scrolled on the bolster too.

love the pioneer bone covers on these! cant wait for mine to get here. these pictures are making the wait unbearable!

Hi all, I got my blackwood and pioneer bone in the mail the other day. Overall, these are exquisite knives and others' comments have been dead on. However, I guess I have to be the first squeaky wheel.

There's a part of one of my pioneer scales that seems like it was torched or burnt or otherwise damaged in production. Maybe it's just a characteristic of the bone, and I should come to terms with it - but it looks more like a flaw than "character" to me.

I'd love to hear from those who have been around the block more, as these are only my second and third GEC knives... par for the course and live with it, or should I send this one back? I should add, I absolutely LOVE the pile side scale. I was hoping for one of those wormholes and got a great one!

Thanks for any input!

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%208%2044%2007%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%208%2043%2052%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%208%2043%2045%20AM.jpg

You could send it back, I suppose but there probably isn't another knife to replace it with. It does look like a flaw to me too. Maybe GEC can replace the cover itself.

Email Mike. He seems like a great guy, I'm sure he'll do what he can for you.

The way that is shaped I think it is half a worm hole, I could be wrong.

There's a part of one of my pioneer scales that seems like it was torched or burnt or otherwise damaged in production. Maybe it's just a characteristic of the bone, and I should come to terms with it - but it looks more like a flaw than "character" to me.

I'd love to hear from those who have been around the block more, as these are only my second and third GEC knives... par for the course and live with it, or should I send this one back? I should add, I absolutely LOVE the pile side scale. I was hoping for one of those wormholes and got a great one!

Thanks for any input!

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%208%2044%2007%20AM.jpg

Hi tstaut.
The Pioneer Bone inherently has many different "characteristic" marks like the one on your knife. With that said, the resulting characteristic is not from producing the knife but rather the nature of the bone.

Yea, you know it's probably a wormhole that ended up on the edge of the cover is all. I'm sure someone here would trade you for it :)

On second thought I don't see how Mike or GEC would let it out the door if it indeed was a burn or flaw.

Thanks for the input. I have resolved to accept it as character and resume enjoying the hell out of it. :)

Here's that pile-side worm hole I was talking about... love this side!

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%201%2018%2033%20PM.jpg

I just got my Blackwood and Rose the other day, and am expecting a stag. Like everyone else has commented, fit and finish are top notch. Thank you Mike for putting this together and all the chaos it must've been in organizing the early reserves. I Cannot wait to see all the photos of the different stag covers. I have a feeling my stag is going to be my favorite one out of the three.

b027c3c7cd642df01dfd3b269face215_zps90dacc43.jpg

f79274cb10afc802b9f1676626e8c3bd_zps671571c2.jpg
050111d110b3035726cfaf4ff5a71fee_zps09c3f955.jpg

I got mine on Friday, and I'm in the minority. While the knife is clearly excellent, I just haven't bonded with it. I think it's the nail nicks; I'm absolutely a long pull kinda guy. Going to give it a few more days before I throw it on the exchange.

I will say that mine came shaving sharp and the wharncliffe is a friggin needle! The blackwood is gorgeous, and the boslter is very elegant. The knife has a great weight in the hand and overall feels great. I just haven't really bonded with the blade shapes, which was a fear from the beginning. I've never been big on clips or wharncliffs. I prefer spears and sheepsfoots (sheepsfeet?).

tstaut your 77 looks wonderful! i dont think your cover is blemished at all. looks like maybe it could be part of a worm hole?

Finally got a good pic of the Blackwood. I think the Blackwood really pops with the brass liners and pins. All the details really add up to a wonderful, unique pocket knife. Blade geometries are outstanding, and both take razor edges. Really couldn't be happier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415050080.558258.jpg

Thanks for the input. I have resolved to accept it as character and resume enjoying the hell out of it. :)

Here's that pile-side worm hole I was talking about... love this side!

Photo%20Nov%2003%2C%201%2018%2033%20PM.jpg

That thing might be infested! You probably aught to get it traded off as soon as possible!

A 3" grub worm came out of that hole when I was packing and bit me. I am laid up now with some strange illness :D

Mike, Thanks for the bonus pet worm. I took him to the local vet and got him vaccinated. I also ordered a custom-made GEC collar for him.

His name is Marlow.

:)

Back