GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    As a UK BF member I'm a tad gutted we can't get these over here

I will be waiting eagerly for the tidioute

2. Steel130

Steel130

Sep 17, 2010
    Well, my Sambar Stag arrived today and it is a beauty. I picked a pretty knobby one and am very happy with how it looks. Here are a few quick pics, I apologize the quality isn't better. Great job Mike!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. slide13

slide13

Apr 12, 2001
    Looks really nice!!! USPS says mine was supposed to be here today but doesn't look like that is going to happen, so hopefully tomorrow. Looking forward to getting a feel for the knife with these large bolsters and stag, always liked the idea of a stag handled barlow.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D

May 28, 2013
    The stag looks awesome Steel130! Can't wait to see the rest of the stag photos. Mine should be arriving any day...

5. Toddwalla

Toddwalla

May 27, 2012
    Just got around to perusing this thread and I have to congratulate everyone that got in on these barrows! They are all stunning, but the character on those pioneer bone guys...well, wow!

6. Steel130

Steel130

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks guys. Hopefully both of yours will arrive today as well. I don't think it will disappoint.

7. Cassander

Cassander Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2013
    Stags are looking great.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. Cassander

Cassander Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2013

9. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    My 2 showed up today and all I can say is wow! What a great knife, for me it's the perfect size with 2 great blades. I was not going to buy 2 but after I reserved mine Mike offered bottom of the barrel stag at a nice discount. I figured I would get a bottom of the barrel and carry it everyday and not worry about messing it up. Mike threw a wrench in the works when the bottom of the barrel showed up being very nice, thanks,Mike:) First knife is bottom of barrel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TX_planes

TX_planes

Jan 30, 2014
    Steel, Augie, congratulations on the nice looking stags! They look great! Just a good looking yet rugged knife! Thanks for taking time to post photos.

Curtis

11. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Those stag look great. My 2nd hand pioneer bone arrived today and I am really enjoying it. Sure to fit right in with its brethren.

[​IMG]

12. Cassander

Cassander Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2013
    I can only hope, with all this great reception, that we're gonna see more of these in the future. If I had had the cash, I would've gotten four of them, but Mr. Elias keeps insisting the rent be paid EVERY month.

May I suggest, for the single blade Marlows in the next run 😉, fossilized cave bear teeth covers...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415219351.522140.jpg

13. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    This beautiful Saw Cut arrived today and I'm am thrilled:thumbup:

Jone, aka Jennifer and I worked a great trade and this one arrived today...just a very impressive knife. I'm off today so I'm looking forward to using this tomorrow @ work;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D

May 28, 2013
    Those stags look great Augie! And congrats on the sawcut Paul! I was lucky enough to land a sawcut secondary myself thanks to Dan (Parke1). Can't wait to get it!! My stag should be arriving any day now too... Christmas in November!! Thanks again Mike for running these!

15. RobbW

RobbW Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2003
    That crosscut has a beautiful, old-time look to it. Congratulations.

16. Todd Isa 53

Todd Isa 53

Apr 19, 2010
    Received mine today. Here is the deal... the quality is as good as I have seen on a GEC. Both blade shapes are amazing. I never owned Abalone before and I love the way it looks.
    Very Very cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D

May 28, 2013
    Wow! I've never been an Abalone guy, but those photos are sure making me warm up to it. Just gorgeous Todd!!

18. Todd Isa 53

Todd Isa 53

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks Al... It is pretty cool.

19. tstaut

tstaut

Jan 6, 2012
    Wow, more gorgeous Marlows. I don't think I've seen one I didn't think was absolutely beautiful.

An update on my love affair with this pattern: It has grown on me sooo much in the last few days. There's something about having two just fantistic, amazing blades to choose from at any given time. And the size, weight, balance... beefy and workmanlike but not "bulky" at all. Hands down my favorite knives, displacing my friend the 100-year old ebony schrade.

By the way... would it be improper to ask how many were made of each material?

20. Cassander

Cassander Banned BANNED

Nov 26, 2013
    Ask GEC they keep those records. Most production totals are published on their blog.