GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

15682693651_9808651a80_c.jpg

15682693801_2661dc2ce6_c.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2533copy2_zps798e8fdd.jpg

Excellent larger alternative to the Charlow (with a more refined bolster treatment). This could easily be a series of SFO's that rivals the success of the Charlows. Can't wait to see other blade and cover configurations in this pattern, although this pair is perfect for me.

My Marlow just arrived this afternoon and I am thoroughly impressed. I know it gets said a lot, but I want to say it again: GEC is continually improving their fit and finish and surprisingly keep getting better and better at it. My Marlow and Washington Jack both have perfect centering, a very medium 5 pull for both knives and neither have the smallest trace of a backspring gap.

I really like the blade combination of the clip and full sized wharncliffe. This might actually bump my Queen Dan Burke out of my rotation temporarily. Mine seems to also have more of the smooth rose look that Mike was looking for (and that I was hoping for). The back is a little more mottled than the front cover. It is a heavy beast. I don't have a scale that can measure something this small but the weight is noticeably more than the Washington Jack and my other barlows. I might have to put this one in a belt sheath.

My red camel bone weighs in at 3.4 oz and the blackwood at 3.2oz. For comparison, my Cocobolo Washington Jack is 2.8oz

Last edited:
I got my Pioneer Bone today and I echo what other have said about this Barlow. The fit and finish is exceptional and the transitions from bone to bolster to steel to brass to spring is just plain first rate! The pull at least on my example is firm but just about perfect. The blade grinds and profile are wonderful and I love the sterile blade flats finished in this soft satin sheen. I extend my congratulations to this GEC/Collectorknives offering/collaboration and in particular to Mike for bringing this Barlow to reality. Here is a picture of my bone sandwiched between two other TC Barlows for size reference.
imagejpg1_zps2eb3b85f.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this in my review of the knife, but I am REALLY happy with the quality of the blackwood covers. I have bought a good quantity of GEC knives lately, and many of the knives, especially the ebony ones, have come very "thirsty" and dry, needing coconut oil out of the tube. Not this knife in the least. Just beautiful wood stock.
This knife is a winner all around.
Thanks,
B

This one in Rose Appaloosa Camel Bone (or as GEC labeled it, Red Camel Bone) is a star! Very close to the example knife Mike posted IMO.

IMG_2800_zps4fc87769.jpg~original

IMG_2533copy2_zps798e8fdd.jpg

Excellent larger alternative to the Charlow (with a more refined bolster treatment). This could easily be a series of SFO's that rivals the success of the Charlows. Can't wait to see other blade and cover configurations in this pattern, although this pair is perfect for me.

Deskil, the Ebony just works so well on that knife!!!

This one in Rose Appaloosa Camel Bone (or as GEC labeled it, Red Camel Bone) is a star! Very close to the example knife Mike posted IMO.

IMG_2800_zps4fc87769.jpg~original

Philllll....beautiful knife....I have one of those coming..thanks for the pic.

Deskil, the Ebony just works so well on that knife!!!

I heartily agree with that, Paul. Although this one speaks to me like few others, the future possibilities are intriguing.
I'd like to see some Che Chen Rosewood, in a single spear or clip version, down the road.

I'd like to see some Che Chen Rosewood, in a single spear or clip version, down the road.

So would I. I am usually a bigger fan of the two blades in the 15 Barlow, but, going by the Forum knife for size, I think I would prefer the Northfield 77 Barlow in the single blade version, with long pull sheep foot, or long pull spearpoint, or long pull clip point. It will be interesting to see what flavors we might see in the future.

I'm never really a fan of sawcut bone covers, but wow these look amazing. I also am really liking how the rose turned out.

My Pioneer Bone arrived yesterday and overall I'm very satisfied and happy I was able to jump in on this run. Being new to slip joints I've never seen an example of GEC pioneer bone in person and was surprised (but not disappointed) to see the level of grain/variability in the way the bone was cut for these. A lot more like pictures of stag I've seen (although I don't have anything with stag handles). The rustic quality of the scales makes a nice contrast to the refined and gentleman like quality of the bolsters and the result is very cool (although I think the sawcut bone may be the sweetspot with this pattern). I definitely have some deep worm holes in each side and began to wonder if there might even be something waiting for me at the bottom :) If a single blade version of this is offered in the future I will without a doubt pick up another.

I don't own one of these, and being overseas I'm not in the frame for one. Been looking through this thread and I'm astounded at the Pioneer Bone, it is remarkable and just the job for this Barlow. An odd blend of stag, primitive bone and mammoth that results in both sturdiness and real beauty on this unusual pattern (Wharncliffe/Clip). If this came out in single Spear I'd just have to obtain one.....

Congratulations to Mike, the new owners of the knife and most particularly to the skilled workers at GEC for making this beauty.:thumbup:

Pioneer Bone is like a worm in my brain now....:eek::eek::D

Thanks, Will

Lovely bone handle there. I bet a few of those are like a handshake from the curves.

Outstanding pics everyone! I'm really loving the pioneer bone. Tons of character in some of those. :D

Can't wait to get my saw cut tomorrow!

Beautiful knife euthymic, those covers are awesome! I can't wait to see pics of the stag too, soon enough...

Yea, when the stag pictures start coming, there's gonna be some drool covered keyboards I suspect.

Back