GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

I miss @onearmedbladenut , Kenny was so enthusiastic, he was not here nearly long enough for me.

Raising my beer to Kenny..... carry on everyone.
I did not realize he passed. Quirky character and certainly had an addictive enthusiasm for knives.

And certainly an individual who overcame obstacles with gusto.

Prayers for his family.
Pretty sure I have moved from addict to junkie.

Just picked up my red/black 86. Pull is close to same as the Angus Jack. Red/Black might be a tad lighter. But that could also be the difference in the nail nick placement. Back spring is a smidge proud in the halfstop but totally flush fully opened and closed. Love the bolster stamp…the micarta looks like wood from a distance. Beautifully executed. My first stainless GEC, so that’s a cool new experience for me.

aRwgWUI.jpg

IbkI06y.jpg

5do4nLE.jpg

7IqXlyJ.jpg

ACVG175.jpg
Wow. Very nice.

Kudos to who assembled my 86. Zero gaps held up to the light, covers fit snug everywhere. Knife itself is larger than I prefer to carry but easy to understand it's a one size fits all. Love the blade shape and how awesome it's stainless! Won't make food taste funky or rust at the least hint of moisture. Excellent snap, on the inside of the spring you can see where the spring has been slightly thinned to lighten the pull. Centered, pinchable 5. Backspring slightly proud at halfstop, pins not visible. Slight texture on the micarta, feels better than acrylic and will last forever. Not very sharp out of the tube but the fit and finish are custom level. IMO the bolster could be smaller which would lighten the knife. The double acorn stamp looks good in person, but the spacing is wack ... too close to the cover, should be centered. The pivot is close to the end so centering the bolster stamp should not interfere with pivot assembly. If you are looking for a slipjoint to put in your pocket and use, give one of these a chance.

GEC86redblackmicarta-1.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-2.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-3.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-4.jpg
Thanks for the review. I'm going to try for one of these, but we'll see if I get lucky or not. Yours looks mighty fine!

Lmao, that was like 25 seconds on that drop. Couldn’t have possibly gone faster

I'm not that familiar with the Northwoods line. What is the GEC equivalent pattern to the Madison barlow? #43?

I believe that it has been said that the Madison Barlow is made on the 43 frame - or rather that the 43 was made on the Madison Barlow frame. If I recall correctly, I think the Northwoods came first.

Back