GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

What are most of you hoping for, black/red Micarta, rust orange bone, or OD green canvas Micarta?
Rust Orange Bone all the way! I'll be bummed if I cannot score one of those. I'll try to get an OD green as well, but I wouldn't try to get one if I miss all the normally priced drops.

I'm also aiming for a bone. I really like how it turned out on the 85 caplifters, and I like this rust color even more. Hoping I can grab one with big ol' ridges.

I like the Red and Black Micarta the best, then the Green Micarta, and finally the Natural Bone... I'm OCD about my covers being even.

Pretty sure I have moved from addict to junkie.

Just picked up my red/black 86. Pull is close to same as the Angus Jack. Red/Black might be a tad lighter. But that could also be the difference in the nail nick placement. Back spring is a smidge proud in the halfstop but totally flush fully opened and closed. Love the bolster stamp…the micarta looks like wood from a distance. Beautifully executed. My first stainless GEC, so that’s a cool new experience for me.

aRwgWUI.jpg

IbkI06y.jpg

5do4nLE.jpg

7IqXlyJ.jpg

ACVG175.jpg

Pretty sure I have moved from addict to junkie.

Just picked up my red/black 86. Pull is close to same as the Angus Jack. Red/Black might be a tad lighter. But that could also be the difference in the nail nick placement. Back spring is a smidge proud in the halfstop but totally flush fully opened and closed. Love the bolster stamp…the micarta looks like wood from a distance. Beautifully executed. My first stainless GEC, so that’s a cool new experience for me.

aRwgWUI.jpg

IbkI06y.jpg

5do4nLE.jpg

7IqXlyJ.jpg

ACVG175.jpg
Congrats! You'll have to give your impressions on the comparison between stainless and 1095 on your GECs. Personally, the stainless GECs I've owned have had a little bit better action than my carbon GECs.

Fresh off the grill postbox - if my steak came this way it would be going back but this GEC is a BIG keeper and fits my fat hand just right. I've been yearning after something in ebony since I started following GEC and can say it's been worth the wait.
V6h6pVL.jpg

Kudos to who assembled my 86. Zero gaps held up to the light, covers fit snug everywhere. Knife itself is larger than I prefer to carry but easy to understand it's a one size fits all. Love the blade shape and how awesome it's stainless! Won't make food taste funky or rust at the least hint of moisture. Excellent snap, on the inside of the spring you can see where the spring has been slightly thinned to lighten the pull. Centered, pinchable 5. Backspring slightly proud at halfstop, pins not visible. Slight texture on the micarta, feels better than acrylic and will last forever. Not very sharp out of the tube but the fit and finish are custom level. IMO the bolster could be smaller which would lighten the knife. The double acorn stamp looks good in person, but the spacing is wack ... too close to the cover, should be centered. The pivot is close to the end so centering the bolster stamp should not interfere with pivot assembly. If you are looking for a slipjoint to put in your pocket and use, give one of these a chance.

GEC86redblackmicarta-1.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-2.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-3.jpg

GEC86redblackmicarta-4.jpg

What are most of you hoping for, black/red Micarta, rust orange bone, or OD green canvas Micarta?
I honestly would just be happy with any. I was initially leaning away from the red and black linen micarta variant but the recent pics I've been seeing have really changed my mind.

To any variant, I say, "It's gonna be zoppity!" -- Michael Scott (Darryl Philbin)

FE26606C-58F2-4E3C-8B3D-9A7F8D89802B.jpegC6CB49C2-5D24-4787-9472-34A628FAAAC8.jpeg
My “well done” just showed up but isn’t as dark as I hoped for. I would say it’s “medium”. Very nice knife regardless. I’ll try to get photos in natural light tomorrow. Thanks Mike.

Back