GEC Cuban Cigar Patterns #53 & #54

Didn't even realize I had this many. They just accumulate somehow.
Left Top to Bottom
54 Tractor Green 2008
53 Muskrat Elk SS 2008
54 Big Jack Burnt Grizzly 2008
Right Top to Bottom
53 Muskrat Burnt Stag SS 2008
53 Muskrat Burnt Stag2008
53 Muskrat Snakewood 2007
ITkU8IL.jpg

Recently added to my stable of knives.
Buffalo horn big jack. So far so good, this one is from 2009 and was an excellent reminder of how well GEC has done at grinding better edges. I put a scary edge on it and have been using it quite a bit. I’ve missed the big jack.
View attachment 940106
View attachment 940105
View attachment 940107 View attachment 940108
That’s a great looking knife! I was actually admiring it when it was for sale in the exchange. If these pictures would’ve been in the original post, I probably wouldn’t have been able to resist! Congrats!

That’s a great looking knife! I was actually admiring it when it was for sale in the exchange. If these pictures would’ve been in the original post, I probably wouldn’t have been able to resist! Congrats!

It scratched an itch for me in a big way. I had been jonesing for some buffalo horn and I miss my stag big jack so this was perfect. It has some great character in the Horn.

What is the difference between the 53 and 54 patterns? 53 looks a touch wider to my eye. Is that it? Something else?

Don't know that I could pick my favorite GEC pattern but will say the 53/54s are high on my list.

kHe8LBm.jpg

6nrTzxc.jpg

HvxGtmj.jpg

NJJ1smb.jpg
You have a very nice grouping there biglmbass! :thumbsup::cool: Those Stag’s are really sweet, but the TK’s are my favorite! I have four of the seven TK’s that were offered, including the Christmas Tree Acrylic. However that Ebony has been elusive for me so far! I need one of those! :D

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb Love the Blood Red AAPK. Beautiful.

RPyC8xK.jpg

These just came in. Notice the gap in the 3 spring liner/spring. Wasnt in the description:mad: (the Bay)

That's not common for for this pattern/year?

Something that warranty would cover, not purchased direct or through dealer?

Last edited:
Icky, I can't see the gap you are talking about. Maybe a better closeup pic? I did have one acrylic from 2008 that shrunk away from the bolsters, leaving a small gap.

Icky, I can't see the gap you are talking about. Maybe a better closeup pic? I did have one acrylic from 2008 that shrunk away from the bolsters, leaving a small gap.

Thanks for the reply.

Not the cover(s)..fit is great. Between two of the springs. Notice, no liners inboard. I can pinch the knife and reduce the gap...where is my 2 lb lump hammer, anyway?

IC3gC0n.jpg

Last edited:
I've not seen that before, but give Chris a call (or email) at GEC and see what she says. They can probably fix it.

The 53s and 54s were a big factor in turning my collecting interests to GEC 2 1/2 years ago. I love the classic, clean look. I have been picking up any natural handle material covers, but am starting to find some love for the "plastic" covers as well. Yellow bone has been very elusive, but that is what makes collecting interesting

bIMYUHW.jpg

I do love the Castros with all those blades crammed in there, but the recent single blades are amazing as well.

067CxM4.jpg

Incredible collection!

Had a few come and go but these are still here.

2008 Cuban Stockman Horsecut Red Wine, Snakewood, and one I had rehandled in Green Canvas Micarta
bmL6dQy.jpg

C7HToNX.jpg

wmd1RWq.jpg

2010 Furtaker Muskrat Wormy Chestnut
5eG21TI.jpg

2010 Furtaker Trappers Antique Amber and Green bone
vrg8m1o.jpg

LBdHBHo.jpg

2011 Cuban Stockman Ebony
LvCeyaH.jpg

2013 Cuban Pen Ebony
mReceNF.jpg

I really like the furtaker muskrat and pen knives. What great blade combinations.

I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. These patterns aren't mentioned often and I thought that people new to GEC or who only became aware of GEC after say 2012 probably had no idea just how many different covers were available from 2007 - 2011. Several of us have quite a few of these knives as just evidenced by 2Dead and wolfeknives. BUT lurking in the background is Jeff (black mamba) who I knew had a ton of these knives with almost all the cover options and selfishly, I wanted to see them so I started this thread. Thank you Jeff and again to everyone.

Very cool thread. I met a collector at the Rendezvous last year who I believe has a quite extensive collection of 53/54s but I don't know if he's on the forums. I sold him a stainless stag muskrat 53 earlier this year.

I love the look, feel and pattern on this one. I carry it in a slipsheath to protect the scales but other than that it gets used like any other blade in my pocket.

From a friend here, thanks Scott, @Dopic1 here on BF. Nothin’ like a good Cuban. Now I just need a Cognac. ;)

tRVOA3N.jpg
DXF6TES.jpg
3O5B12H.jpg

Very nice. It's a bummer that GEC doesn't plan to use horn for covers anymore.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it I might have asked about moose antler. Maybe I'll try to ask this year. I'd like to see horn used again also. But I do think they are moving away from it.

I got this one recently

R3EokOt.jpg

eRU38Wd.jpg

Superbly made. I've been wanting to get a Cuban Stockman especially in stainless. Didn't plan to get stag but it's a nice bonus.

I'm just really struggling to decide if it should be a user or a collection piece. I'd really like to use it, but every time I go to AMKC I see all these well preserved old knives that make me want to put some up in pristine condition for posterity. On the other hand it wasn't cheap and if I'm not gonna use it I really should sell it. Idk, but it's a nice knife.

Edit: I don't mean to say it was over priced, I was happy to find it at that price. Just that it's a significant amount of money for me to spend if I'm not going to use and enjoy the knife.

Last edited:
Back