GEC...Please Make More Patterns Available To Us in 440C...yea or nea ?

Several patterns I'd love to see in 440C: 33 (been done before), 66 slim, 09, 06, & 22. For me, these are all small & easy to carry everyday. Making them in stainless would be great.

Would be nice to see some of the more popular patterns - #15, #66, #68, for example, made in 440C with some other choices in handle material.

Right now they have "packaged" 440C with a very limited selection of handle materials - amber jigged bone, elk antler, some woods, and it seems to available in only a few patterns when it is even offered.

Case does the same thing with CV steel - you want Case CV, you are limited to specific handle materials and the patterns don't change up very often, so it's not like GEC is alone in their practices.

I think it would be interesting to see GEC do a run of 15s in both carbon and SS, available in the same blade shapes and handle materials, to really see if there is a strong consumer preference one way or the other. Though there might be enough of a price differential to make the test inconclusive, plus with so many people already having carbon steel 15s, I suppose the first run of stainless in that pattern would have purchases skewed towards SS by collectors wanting one of each, and those getting them because they are the new thing.

GEC seems to be able to sell all the knives they can make, so there's no real market force that would drive them to produce more 440C if the owners aren't interested in making them.

Last edited:
GEC seems to be able to sell all the knives they can make, so there's no real market force that would drive them to produce more 440C if the owners aren't interested in making them.

Bingo!

for me I would be in favor of a stainless model stockman #66 or #68 or a #15. something with a sheepsfoot. would like to see a non polished stainless. I never been a fan of shiny steel cause im paranoid of getting scratches on them. what would you call non polished? brushed? would be great for work, especially in this Pennsylvanian humidity!

Nice additions Trand! :thumbup: The trapper sure is a looker :)
I hope somebody posts a pic of the Viper in stainless...

paTfgbxl.jpg
[/IMG] Here ya go, top one.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Looks like some mighty fine Micarta! Thank You kindly for the pic :)

Thanks Duane!! I was really lucky to get that one. Great looking #47s Akula!!

I hear there are some 440C 42 Missouri Traders headed out into the world this week. This one in American Chestnut will likely prove irresistible.

470114-American-Chestnut-Wood.jpg
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/470114-American-Chestnut-Wood.jpg

For a bigger knife like that, one I wouldn't pocket carry every day and would likely sit for long periods of time, I think stainless is a great option - less worrying about it when its not in use. But I also feel that the 1095 traditional look matches very well with these vintage patterned knives.

keegan

Last edited:
I did a search at one of the sponsor sites and found the #68 – Tidioute in 440C but not much else close to what I was looking for. :(

So I vote, yea, yes, u betcha, more 440C.

Although I'll never be able to afford a GEC, I vote "yes" for the simple reason that "variety is the spice of life".

Last edited:
I'd like to see a limited run of 15 single blades in stainless. It's such a popular pattern, I imagine it would sell.

I'm all for more models in stainless. It was the lack of stainless models that kept me away from the brand until recently.

Absolutely would like to see more SS from GEC. The heat treat is spot on and the semi-matte finish is very eye appealing.

That White Bone just says it all Trand! Bring on more stainless NOW!!!:D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Regards, Will

If I wanted knives of the build quality of GEC but wanted them in stainless, I'd look to Canal Street Cutlery first. I've handled many of their knives at an open house, and picked up a couple of barlows and half-moon trappers. I also have an Eric's Jack. They are making good pocketknives, and I understand the Boys' Knife AG Russell (BFC supporter) sells is of good quality, too.

Back