GEC Rendezvous and Picnic!

Bob, I've been good. Just been really busy but now at semi retirement living the dream!

Last edited:
Perry, I tried to respond to you, but the new software won't let me or maybe it's just this old guy not able to.

I have always loved the navy and rope knives in their myriad iterations. Being in Titusville this August, the home of the early Schatt and Morgan Factory from 1903 (as well as the GEC factory of 2006:)), it seems fitting that this old Schatt Rope knife would show up. Thanks to our good friend Knowtracks, the knife came my way!
My imperfect recollection is that many knife companies made these smaller rope knives for the Navy before and during WWI. At the time a manicure blade was included, to help the seamen keep themselves spiffy for inspections. When the war ended, the knife companies were left with parts, which they efficiently turned into knives for the civilian market. Many dropped the manicure blade, some replaced with less expensive pen blades.
Schatt and Morgan ended operations less than 10 years after the War ended, placing this knife's manufacture, most likely, in that post war decade.
I have placed a Robeson issue knife in the second picture, for comparison. Note, both companies used beautiful jigged bone!!
Thanks for a beautiful gift, Dave!!:thumbsup:

Schatt post Rope EO 1.jpg Schatt post Rope EO 2.jpg Schatt post Rope EO 4.jpg

I have always loved the navy and rope knives in their myriad iterations. Being in Titusville this August, the home of the early Schatt and Morgan Factory from 1903 (as well as the GEC factory of 2006:)), it seems fitting that this old Schatt Rope knife would show up. Thanks to our good friend Knowtracks, the knife came my way!
My imperfect recollection is that many knife companies made these smaller rope knives for the Navy before and during WWI. At the time a manicure blade was included, to help the seamen keep themselves spiffy for inspections. When the war ended, the knife companies were left with parts, which they efficiently turned into knives for the civilian market. Many dropped the manicure blade, some replaced with less expensive pen blades.
Schatt and Morgan ended operations less than 10 years after the War ended, placing this knife's manufacture, most likely, in that post war decade.
I have placed a Robeson issue knife in the second picture, for comparison. Note, both companies used beautiful jigged bone!!

View attachment 758899 View attachment 758900 View attachment 758901
Both beautiful Charlie! I think I prefer the blade layout on the Robeson a bit more (small in front of main) than the S&M though. Might just be me, but I think it would be easier to access the small blade- at least the way I open my knives.

The jigging on both is wonderful.

Wow, that Dave is good folk for sure! Thanks for missing me at the show this year, Charlie. Me and the wife were planning a trip in May to Brimfield, so we went and now we're going back there this next week. Oh we got it bad! Antiques look out!

Charlie,

It's impressive how close GEC got to replicating that jigging style! It was to be my favorite jigging they've done to date.

Dave indeed is a good Man- Charlie- how fitting you have that Stunning Knife- as you say both of those Knives have absolute gorgeous Bone! Nice to be able to age a knife so closely too Charlie!
Colin- you are right- GEC did an amazing job on the Bone of the Navy Knives- way undermentioned for just how Stunning it is!

Charlie- my mind has traveled there with that very thought.
I don't think that the knife has anyting else done other than been cleaned - and done well I must say.- but in saying this - it's been cleaned!
I'm going to look at that etch again- although I don't need to but just to underline what I have seen - and then I may do just that and carefully remove the etch - because it's just not THE original. That will leave me with a cleaned knife I'm thinking at this stage.
I won't of course remove the Etch unless 100% sure.

@philllll - you have a DE catalog my friend ? can you find this knife there at all? Possibly source the knife with the 1066 behind the Main ?
Thank you all for the comments - basically everything you guys have said is what I am thinking - great stuff!
Now that I think of it... I bought a 66 calf roper stag this run that just ended. I thought it was pepper below the Northfield etch and looked at it through a loupe. It looks as if the etch ran or streaked. The etch is not crisp. It's cloudy. Anyone else ?
Oops. This is just Rendezvous talk. Sorry!

Last edited:
I realize the Rendezvous is a month past now, however something has come up this past week that I need to discuss. It seems that my wonderful wife Pam, along with the help of two of the fine gentlemen of the porch, that were in attendance at the Rendezvous, planned me a dandy surprise for my 63rd birthday. My birthday was on September 7th this past Thursday. It turns out that Pam was able to buy two lovely knives from Charlie waynorth waynorth at the Rendezvous, while I was apparently standing not ten feet away. :confused: She said that it would have not been possible had it not been for Dave @knowtracks running interference while all the Shenanigans were taking place. Charlie and Dave thank you very much! :) Pam got me a 48 Diamond Jack, Antique Amber Jigged Bone, with a Satin finish blade. She also got a Black Box Winchester Gunstock #2851. As I said two very nice additions to the collection. Thanks to you all! :D

36753574190_082ca4bf7d_b.jpg

Back