Gentleman's folder advice (modern or traditional)

Hiroaki Ohta
G2

Check these out. They were at my local Japanese knife sharpener's today.
uZBVbhE.jpg

Ohta is a great suggestion. (and Lapedog, if you'll tell me where they're at I'll buy a couple of those Ohta's.)

William Henry would be good too.

Ohta is a great suggestion. (and Lapedog, if you'll tell me where they're at I'll buy a couple of those Ohta's.)

I am not allowed to advertise a vendor that isn't a paying member of the site. Also they are in Canada and so I imagine shipping will be expensive. They were quite pricey as is.

I'll have to join those suggesting the Lionsteel Euro-Barlow in M390 or a GEC in about any pattern. Doesn't get any more classy gentleman than those IMO.

You can just send him a PM or e mail brother.

I am not allowed to advertise a vendor that isn't a paying member of the site. Also they are in Canada and so I imagine shipping will be expensive. They were quite pricey as is.

Maybe take another look at WH.
This one is a manual button lock that’s as smooth as oiled glass in ZDP.
Not fragile in any way. This model comes in a couple different variations and it is killer!!
Good luck!
Joe

793A9AFE-9F48-43EA-84A7-B712C0F49FBF.jpeg

I don't have private messages but if you are interested in the Ohtas write your email on my profile wall and I will point you towards them.

I tend to favor longer blades, but can offer you two suggestions based upon personal ownership:

1. Rike Knife Thor4s titanium integral frame lock flipper. There are various solid handle colors (and color combinations) offered and you also have a choice between a satin Bohler M390 blade or one of Damasteel Damascus. Blade length is 2.4" and weight is just 2.1 ounces. Price range is between $300 to $450 USD.

2. WE 605 titanium frame lock flipper. Various solid handle colors are available (purple is nice) and the 3.0" CPM-S35VN drop point blade comes in variations of black PVD and (not or) satin; the satin flats with black blade grinds is my personal favorite. Weight is 4.0 ounces and all variants are $242 USD.

My single samples of both knives exhibit excellent craftsmanship and flawless flipping action. And, it may or may not prove to be important to you, but both also tend to elicit the admiration of non-knife people, mostly attributable to the handle colors I chose, and in the case of the WE 605A, the bold two-tone and stylishly ground blade.

Replaced my Benchmade 707 with the Arcform Slimfoot. For myself at least it qualifies as a "modern gentleman folder."

J17z1n9.jpg

Wood inlay small sebenza is a damn investment dressier folder with easier one hand operation than the Mnandi.

Here is a ton of my favorite pattern of traditional. The 77 northfield barlow and you would be able to buy a couple of them in your price range. By far the most aestheticly pleasing knife by my old eyes. But barlows in general are my favorite gentlemans knife. I have included a few different brands as well but all some of my favorites including gec,queen, robeson etc.

Another vote for a custom knife maker here at BFs. Tobinsmith, Khall, Bailey, and many others are in your price range. If you don't see something that meets your specs, feel free to contact them to change the blade steel and/or handle material.

Mcusta knives are great, classy, very sharp out of the box and excellent F&F. :thumbsup: For something different, you should check out Chambriard; superb F&F, semi-custom (in that the file work is done differently by each craftsman), excellent selection. :cool:

Mcusta knives are great, classy, very sharp out of the box and excellent F&F. :thumbsup: For something different, you should check out Chambriard; superb F&F, semi-custom (in that the file work is done differently by each craftsman), excellent selection. :cool:
Ooh, just had a look. Very nice indeed.

If you want to go a bit cheaper and don't mind some modifying: Böker Plus Urban Trapper, very light, great action and a great canvas for mods
b1lRyT2.jpg

Also the Fox/Bastinelli Dragotacs, best friction folders there are imo

And of course GEC, most of them but I'd in particular mention 66,13 and 48

In the $450 range was why I picked what I picked, there are just so many colours in the rainbow...(quote from Harry Chapin song ;) ) that the OP could easily choose from such a wide variety but that leads to what I call "Paralysis of Analysis " and you end up not being able to chose at all.

Slightly above that $450 I myself would LOVE to get one of mr Halfrich's Rounder folders, simply an amazing design and execution....just out of my reach :)
G2

Back