1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gentleman's folder advice (modern or traditional)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smoothblades, Dec 15, 2017.

1. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    Once you are at $450, I would look at customs. For a less expensive alternative, check out Moki. I believe that they also make some of the Fallknivens.

matt009au likes this.
  2. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I'm just parroting but Mnandi or Roundhead. It's a good suggestion to parrot. :D

3. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Ive always wanted a spyderco chaparral.

4. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Thank you Vel! Great little knife. I kinda felt WH stuff was pocket jewelry only. I was wrong!
    Tough little knife that is super slim and slices like a pissed off demon!
    Joe

matt009au likes this.
  5. smoothblades

smoothblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2015
    i love Case knives, I just wish the steel was a little better. the toothpick is one though i have never tried.

115Italian likes this.
  6. smoothblades

Jan 18, 2015
    The kiwi is interesting, I really like the bone variations they have/had.

7. smoothblades

Jan 18, 2015
    I have heard good things about the domino, but its just a bit bigger than what Im shooting for. I saw they make a Dice, that looks very similar. Have you seen this or have any experience with it?

8. smoothblades

Jan 18, 2015
    The Ohta knives look very nice and may really are drawing me in. I found a carbon fiber version that he has made and it looks great. Have you experience with his knives? how is the general fit and finish as well as the edge retention?

9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I cannot speak for edge retention as I have not owned one, I don't know what steel he uses. My only experience with them is playing with them when I take knives to my Japanese style sharpener for reprofiling.

That said these knives are SUPERB fit and finish. I don't have much experience with traditionals but from the ones I have handled the Ohtas are on another level.

The quality is there. I liken it to the feeling of picking up a Sebenza for the first time and immediately noting the quality.

10. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    As others have mentioned, the Ohta knives are beautiful. I have one and I feel lucky to have it...

BUT...and here's the big BUT...if you've thought of a Mnandi, you probably won't stop thinking of one until you get one.

I had to wear a suit tonight to the symphony and my Mnandi was a no-brainer choice. I looked at a GEC traditional and a modded Chaparral and the CRK kicked everything to the curb.

I don't carry mine everyday but when I need a gentleman's knife, the Mnandi is the epitome of one. Spend a few $ extra and get one with Devin Thomas steel and exotic wood and you'll have an heirloom to hand down some day.

One caveat: I'm more of a modern knife guy and prefer a clip and locking blade. If you're more of a traditional folder guy, find a limited release GEC and buy it super fast!

Have fun and good luck!

smoothblades likes this.
  11. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    I haven't, but if you're looking for a bit smaller but still an elegant design, M390 steel, framelock + flipper, and bearings-based manual opening, take a look at the Lionsteel TRE folder. I can't 'recommend' as I haven't owned it, but I have laid hands on one and it is an elegant little knife, fits your specs and very lightweight.

https://www.knifeworks.com/lion-ste...de-black-g-10-handle-titanium-frame-lock.html

12. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Its small so it sees small tasks that really do not dull the blade all that much. Theres a lot to look at on this one. Gorgeous bolsters. Brass or copper liners, not sure which.

13. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    ZT 0460 - 3.25" blade, 2.3 oz. Carbon fiber scale, titanium framelock.

[​IMG]

Burnt Stag and 115Italian like this.
  14. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    What about that knife or the way it's presented in this image equals gentleman knife?

quattro98, katanas and dropback like this.
  15. elnero

elnero Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2017
    At that price range I personally would be looking at a Mnandi. For cheaper I'd be looking at the new Boos Blades Aero Mini.

16. smoothblades

Jan 18, 2015
    Im nearly at that point. Everything looks good but then the options become overwhelming.

Can you recommend any makers that are similar to the Rounder that you mentioned, and within my price range?

17. smoothblades

Jan 18, 2015
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Im still on the fence with the mnandi, something about it i love and something about it i just dont care for (i just wish i knew what it was). Does anyone know where to a good place to order an Ohta knife is? The only place I have really seen them is at forthenry knives, and it has me pretty interested.

[​IMG]

Another maker i found is Josh fisher, but I dont really know anything about him. Has anyone any experience with his work? The picture below is with damascus and is more than im looking for, but with regular steel and same checkering he quoted me $450, so in budget.
    [​IMG]

The arcform looks nice but a bit bigger than the 3" im looking for, and i know that Chinese companies do make some very good knives (Boos knife by WE), but i am not ready to go down that path. For me mainly because all of them i have handled use the same standard plastic bearing races that Liong Mah, and CKF use (as well as Marfione on the custom sigil I had, which was a big let down).

So as an added criteria for searching i think, either handmade, or USA made.

115Italian likes this.
  18. Durham68

Durham68 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2015
    OP, have you looked at the Giant Mouse GM3?

elnero likes this.
  19. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Olamic Busker

2.25" and high quality craftsmanship?

20. HST

HST

Apr 2, 2015
    Office Carry: Mnandi with S35VN for cost and easier cleanling after use. You can use it a lifetime and pass it down when you’re done.

I love slippies, but since the knife you’re changing from is a CRK, you’ll want another. Moreover, you can go clip-less and pocket or coat pocket carry.

Pomsbz likes this.