Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

Ever since I sold my ZT 0452 a while back I've been on the hunt for a replacement that fills the "long, slender flipper with great action"-shaped hole in my collection, and while it's early days this one might be it. Many Bestech knives leave me a bit cold; they feel engineered in a way that doesn't move me (despite "engineered" being an attribute I apply positively to knives just as often). But the Swordfish isn't one of those.

From the contrasting scales to the faux bolster to the contoured G10 to the long, graceful shape that mirrors its namesake, the design and execution of the Swordfish feels purposeful -- and I love its aesthetics. And the action? This $50 knife rivals $250 ZTs in that department, and right out of the box it's just a hair away from dropping shut. :thumbsup:

Edit: I keep forgetting to update this post. :oops: I've now owned two Swordfish, and they both had a squeaky lock. Maybe just my bad luck, but the experience helped turn me off Bestech in general; at this price point CIVIVI does everything I want and more.

p3J71RE.jpg

Last edited:
I added my first Steel Will knife to my collection of big ol' folders, the Plague Doctor. Dramatic lines, dramatic name. :D

yDbPpGh.jpg

(Pictured here alongside my Sheepdog)

I don't often see a jumbo-sized flipper that catches my eye, but this one did.

It reminds me a lot of the Medford TFF-1 in many ways. They're similar shapes, weights, and sizes; they both use D2 (in some cases, like mine); and they both look funkier than they feel in-hand. Add the "wasp waist" ergos and some of the curves of the Southern Grind Bad Monkey, and you get the Plague Doctor. (For, it's worth noting, about 1/3 the price of the BM and 1/8 the price of the TFF-1.)

z809Ba0.jpg

The Spyderco Hundred Pacer (4" blade; 9.21" overall) and K2 (4.54" blade; 10" overall) are among the largest folders in my collection that immediately come to mind.

Both are surprising easy to carry in a pocket because they are both relatively light and thin; the Hundred Pacer (5.2oz) due to the use of FRN scales and the K2 (6.2oz) due to the use of Ti.

225gp.1__68622.1566585907.jpg

151_P_1511348361168.jpg
The K2 is one of the few knives I regret selling.

I added my first Steel Will knife to my collection of big ol' folders, the Plague Doctor. Dramatic lines, dramatic name. :D

yDbPpGh.jpg

(Pictured here alongside my Sheepdog)

I don't often see a jumbo-sized flipper that catches my eye, but this one did.

It reminds me a lot of the Medford TFF-1 in many ways. They're similar shapes, weights, and sizes; they both use D2 (in some cases, like mine); and they both look funkier than they feel in-hand. Add the "wasp waist" ergos and some of the curves of the Southern Grind Bad Monkey, and you get the Plague Doctor. (For, it's worth noting, about 1/3 the price of the BM and 1/8 the price of the TFF-1.)

z809Ba0.jpg

I was given a Steel Will Intrigue for Xmas. They make a great knife and sell it for a reasonable price. Their high flat grinds and excellent edges give a level of prformance that put many firms to shame.

I was given a Steel Will Intrigue for Xmas. They make a great knife and sell it for a reasonable price. Their high flat grinds and excellent edges give a level of prformance that put many firms to shame.

Yeah, for a half-pound beast this knife has a reasonable tip and a surprisingly thin edge! Definitely makes me curious to see what their others are like.

4MAX is without the doubt the largest folder I own. Love the thing, but I rarely, very rarely, have any opportunities to use it when the size is helpful.

Spyderco Cru-Wear Military is the second largest folder I own, and it's actually really practical. Can use it for almost anything a smaller knife would make sense for.

Case Bose Collab Wilfred Lockback hunter is also among my larger folders, but I haven't found much change to bring it out. Next time I go camping or hiking it might ride along.

Why, yes...that is a 4" HD ZDP-189 blade and adjustable pivot in a Classic Eagle handle:eek::cool::D

20201105_004543-jpg.1449410
That's a sweet mod/franken, Chip. I'm still really jealous of that ZDP blade, though I must say the AUS8 on my Eagle and Falcon desk knives is pretty damn sharp. Do you find the adjustable pivot has helped with the action? Both of mine are broken in to the point that they free-drop to 50% which is perfect for one-hand closing without opening up a finger in the process. :eek:

I see you've got your 12V Bosch chucked drill/driver in the background. I've got a bunch of stuff in that line--3 impact drivers, 1 chucked DD, 1 hex DD, a right-angle hex drill, a light, and a recip saw. They're all I need for power for almost all my professional use and so light in hand and pocketable. I've still got my old Bosch 24's for when I need more juice or other tools too, including 2 DDs, a light, a sawzall, 2 circular saws, and an absolutely amazing and super-convenient 10" chop-saw. I've got a bunch of their corded and templated tools as well and most all of Bosch's offerings are great stuff. :thumbsup:

Any excuse to practice my newly re-learned (though limited) ability to post pics.

I went with something a bit unusual. It's an Italian made AGA Campolin "Hunter" switchblade (pictured with a large Spyderco Military for size comparison). The blade of the Hunter is 5" long, mirror polished, with genuine stag handles. It's basically a Bowie-switchblade. Kinda ridiculous, but also kinda cool, and beautiful in it's own way. It's the kind of knife I could picture some redneck bad-guy using in a movie.

EDIT: No, I don't carry it.

09cJUxX.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sweet mod/franken, Chip. I'm still really jealous of that ZDP blade, though I must say the AUS8 on my Eagle and Falcon desk knives is pretty damn sharp. Do you find the adjustable pivot has helped with the action? Both of mine are broken in to the point that they free-drop to 50% which is perfect for one-hand closing without opening up a finger in the process. :eek:

I see you've got your 12V Bosch chucked drill/driver in the background. I've got a bunch of stuff in that line--3 impact drivers, 1 chucked DD, 1 hex DD, a right-angle hex drill, a light, and a recip saw. They're all I need for power for almost all my professional use and so light in hand and pocketable. I've still got my old Bosch 24's for when I need more juice or other tools too, including 2 DDs, a light, a sawzall, 2 circular saws, and an absolutely amazing and super-convenient 10" chop-saw. I've got a bunch of their corded and templated tools as well and most all of Bosch's offerings are great stuff. :thumbsup:
Being adjustable it kind of negates the break in process...thumb flicks easy and locks up SOLID:D

Yeah man...the Baby Bosch line is sweet, I used the crap out of the impact on a daily basis for years climbing wind turbines.

Here's another spot for me to plaster a pic of my full 4" Spartan Harsey Folder NW Coast Edition. This is a good-sized knife with a very substantial feel in hand.

o0qTcQt.jpg
So nice!
Any chance to get a side by side picture with a XM-24?

So nice!
Any chance to get a side by side picture with a XM-24?
Sure, mat. I lined them up by the handle fronts so you can see the extra length to the XM is all at the grip end. The blade lengths are all but identical with the RHK at 3 15/16" with the SHF 3 31/32". For weight the Spartan is 6.25 oz and the Hinderer 7.25, both excluding lanyard and bead. You'll notice, though, the REK logo on the XM as Josh reworked the blade from its original Spanto/sharpened prybar state to a higher, large radius hollow grind, so that one was even heavier to start.

3BzdMvb.jpg

Back