Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

Sure, mat. I lined them up by the handle fronts so you can see the extra length to the XM is all at the grip end. The blade lengths are all but identical with the RHK at 3 15/16" with the SHF 3 31/32". For weight the Spartan is 6.25 oz and the Hinderer 7.25, both excluding lanyard and bead. You'll notice, though, the REK logo on the XM as Josh reworked the blade from its original Spanto/sharpened prybar state to a higher, large radius hollow grind, so that one was even heavier to start.

3BzdMvb.jpg
Thank you, chazzy.
That's some nice visual information, and a notable pair. Orange and grey/green are going great together!
Thanks for writing down the specs as well. It helps (me) a lot to get a better idea of the Spartan (as I only own a Hinderer).
Shame I didn't know REK, the XM blade looks georgeous.:thumbsup:

Thank you, chazzy.
That's some nice visual information, and a notable pair. Orange and grey/green are going great together!
Thanks for writing down the specs as well. It helps (me) a lot to get a better idea of the Spartan (as I only own a Hinderer).
Shame I didn't know REK, the XM blade looks georgeous.:thumbsup:
You're most welcome--glad to help you compare. BTW, Josh has his own sub-forum here at BF for Razor Edge Knives. I don't know if he's currently doing re-grinds as he's busy with lots of projects as he moves deeper into knife-making, but he's a most cordial correspondent and you could always write and ask.

You're most welcome--glad to help you compare. BTW, Josh has his own sub-forum here at BF for Razor Edge Knives. I don't know if he's currently doing re-grinds as he's busy with lots of projects as he moves deeper into knife-making, but he's a most cordial correspondent and you could always write and ask.
Cool, thanks! This looks interesting, I will check it out.

I picked up this beast in the Azores (mid-80s). It was made in Portugal. I don't know what it was supposed to be used for. I have never seen anything like it, since.
Native, and XL Voyager for size comparison.

yOHJMSB.jpg

Last edited:
Before I got the Hinderer, I thought mili is a large knife.
It still is, but compared to a XM 24 it feels kind of leightweight too.;)
Anyway, I like them both a lot!

FFZshwA.jpg

Yes, I was actually surprised at how large the Gen 6 XM-24 Spanto that I just bought was when I received it.

I love carrying larger folders but the XM-24 pushes the envelope a bit.

It's not too big and didn't notice it much in my pocket but it was a "big boy." Just swapped it out for a still substantial but smaller and easier to carry Spyderco G10 Millie but I'll be carrying the XM-24 again.

Yes, I was actually surprised at how large the Gen 6 XM-24 Spanto that I just bought was when I received it.

I love carrying larger folders but the XM-24 pushes the envelope a bit.

It's not too big and didn't notice it much in my pocket but it was a "big boy." Just swapped it out for a still substantial but smaller and easier to carry Spyderco G10 Millie but I'll be carrying the XM-24 again.
They definitely make more sense outside the pocket.

9YvR07o.jpg

r1jYdlW.jpg

:D

Last edited:
I picked up this beast in the Azores (mid-80s). It was made in Portugal. I don't know what it was supposed to be used for. I have never seen anything like it, since.
Native, and XL Voyager for size comparison.

yOHJMSB.jpg

Stylewise, you see that frame used on older Navajas. Neat knife.

Stylewise, you see that frame used on older Navajas. Neat knife.
They were being sold in a kitchen supply store. At the time I assumed it was for butchering livestock, or cutting large produce.

Last edited:
Back