God Save the Queen!!

I think the knife you are referring to is the third one down in my post #84, and it's a 4½" closed English Jack. In my post #97 the original is also the third photo down, and the big spear was reground into the Wharncliffe by Master Smith Don Hanson III.

Thanks. Wow, that Wharncliffe modification is incredible. So many breathtakingly beautiful knives in this thread.

40262259370_239e353fe8_h.jpg

Schatt & Morgan belt knife that I don't know anything about, other than I like it.

Forgive me for asking. Maybe someone already asked, and I missed it.

Did SMKW recently acquire the Queen/Queen City names and rights?

I saw a few new, (probably) off shore produced "Queen City" knives on their website a couple days ago, in/at/around the Marbles/Marbles Outdoors, and old Colt price point.

I wasn't interested in any of the two or three available patterns, so I didn't click on any.

Again, please forgive me for asking. :(

No doubt this is/will be a sensitive subject for many.

EDIT:
I just checked. The Abalone series are offshore production.
The (full size) Red Bone Trapper is domestic production. (and twice and more the price of the offshore produced "Queen City" knives.)

Last edited:
Some 26's.The top knife is a 2 blade jack. The rest are three blade stockmans. From top to bottom: winterbottom bone jack; winterbottom bone Dan Burke ; winterbottom delrin with 440c steel; MOP stockman; Queen made Moore Maker with their yellow bone. F&F on all is excellent. The main blade on the Moore Maker is about a half pound from being a nail breaker. A good cleaning and oiling would undoubtedly help.
26 shield side group.JPG
26 blades group.JPG

Pile side
26 pile side group.JPG
Interestingly the 2 blade jack is thicker than the 3 blade stockmans:
26Jack&DB-2.JPG

Schatt and Morgan Harness Jacks - ok, the jigged bone is a 3 blade equal end Cattle Knife - anyway, knives with punches (for pokin' stuff :)) . The 42 pattern heavy jack on the far right is approaching a GEC #86 in size. Its a fair sized chunk of pocket knife.
SMHarnessJAckGroup-1.JPG SMHarnessJAckGroup-2.JPG SMHarnessJAckGroup-3.JPG SMHarnessJAckGroup-4.JPG

mbkr mbkr Mike, I'm interested by your post concerning the 26s. The top one of your picture looks like a single blade but you say it's a Jack. Do you know the age? I have a similar knife that was sold to me as Delrin but it really appears like bone...Schatt&Morgan released a similar Winterbottom Bone on some of their limited series in c mid 1970s I believe. I think the 26 is sometimes referred to as No.2 when in Jack form, perhaps to differentiate .

Here's some later D2 examples, No.26 Small Stockman top and No.2 ACSB Jack with a reglued shield that I incompetently put back upside down...too late after the Super G sets..:eek::D Note the difference in nail nick placement from Mike's Winterbottom version. Plus same side nicks.

PZq780U.jpg

Last edited:
mbkr mbkr Mike, I'm interested by your post concerning the 26s. The top one of your picture looks like a single blade but you say it's a Jack. Do you know the age? I have a similar knife that was sold to me as Delrin but it really appears like bone...Schatt&Morgan released a similar Winterbottom Bone on some of their limited series in c mid 1970s I believe. I think the 26 is sometimes referred to as No.2 when in Jack form, perhaps to differentiate .

Here's some later D2 examples, No.26 Small Stockman top and No.2 ACSB Jack with a reglued shield that I incompetently put back upside down...too late after the Super G sets..:eek::D Note the difference in nail nick placement from Mike's Winterbottom version. Plus same side nicks.

PZq780U.jpg
It does look like a single blade in that top pic doesn't it? I hadn't noticed. If you look at the bottom knife in the bottom pic, you can see that its a 2 blade jack.

It could be a #2. I fished it out of the bay, no box, no info. I just realized one day that it seemed to have the same frame as the #26 stockman. I've included a close up of the tang stamp. As far as I can determine, that stamp was in use from 1984 until...? There are no other markings.

If your winterbottom looks like bone it probably is. The Delrin winterbottom I have is immediately apparent. Nothing wrong with it, I like delrin, but the bone simply has depth that the delrin lacks. That being said I've never been able to tell for sure of the jigged handles on the button lock copperhead I posted further back are delrin or bone. Looking at the pic I posted, it looks like delrin for sure, but when I examine it in person, I conclude that its either bone or really good delrin.

IMG_0462.JPG

Thanks Mike. That Button Lock LOOKS like Delrin to me due to the colour near the bolsters and type of jigging but it certainly looks a treat whatever it is and an interesting model variant too.

Regards, Will

Back