Golokathon

Great test and detailed analysis! Can't wait to see what Joe thinks of the Farmer, too. You both tend to have excellent insight when it comes to the big choppers. Which I appreciate since they're a favorite of mine. :D

Good review. I appreciate the comparison pics and analysis of each. I want a Farmer now!

Thank's for the Excellent review and all the picture's Horn Dog, I got my Dangerous Curves on Order and just got an E-Mail from David Today saying It's well on It's way to being done, The David Farmer DC will be DFarmer Blade # 5, I've never seen better Edge's on any Knive's I've ever bought, David Farmer Knive's have "The Cutting Edge" In Knife/Blade Performance, I'm going for his 17 + Inch Long Total, 12" + Blade Length Hog Hunter Next !

If you look on page # 5 In this Topic you'll see some New Chopper Style Blade's David Farmer Is Working on that arent on his Web-Site yet, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654759&highlight=Hog+Hunter&page=5

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review Horn Dog. Now where can one get either the Valiant or the Condor?

I have the valiantco golock
Its one sexy chopper :)
Mine used to fall out of the sheath but I have a habbit of oiling the blade every now and then and sheathing it with a bit of excess oil on it , it seems to have swelled the wooden sheath a bit , enough it lightly grips the knife now , it doesnt fall out upside down , tho I wouldnt feel safe carrying it around upside down .

I have not had a chance to handle the Condor yet but I have a 15" blade Valiant (a bit longer than the one used in this test) and it is FAST! That thing is a Very Serious Weapon, as well as a tool. When the zombies come, that puppy will be on my belt b/c it cuts deep and moves quick. (I had a longer version and sold it b/c it was a tad cumbersome, but the 15" version seems perfect.

Thanks for the reviews on one of my favorite blade types. Whilst chopping is important I like versatility and the Farmer looks to be a real winner.

After several generations of design, it's no surprise the handle design of the valiant and condor are tops.

Any chance of a head to head versus HI khukris?

Quote: "They are light, fast and sharp. "

David Farmer's (who incidentally is also into FMA and somehow translates into the design) stuff looks simply superb! The fact that it's thinner than the Barkie is icing on the cake!

The Martindale might be a good project knife, baldtaco-II. It will take a lot of stock removal, but if profiled like the Farmer with a good golok handle, there is no reason it cannot be made into a better golok. I have noticed that both the British goloks have softer steel than the others. I suppose that was for easier sharpening and increased toughness.

I've not yet taken one down quite as far as that Farmer but I've done a few fairly thin. So far my re-handle efforts have been crude and essentially just involve adding a big beak on the end forming a kinda L shape. Together that makes a tool that is day and night different over the original. Even the mock up one sitting here now [exploring an index stall for two distinct regions choking up and back] that is simply rubber under tape is hugely better than stock.

I'm torn on the softness thing. Ease of sharpening isn't a factor for me and as Mike Stewart says “if you sharpen with a file you'll guarantee you'll need to be sharpening more often” [paraphrased]. That only leaves the elevated toughness, but I don't need bags of that. I'm careful and tend not to hit rocks and whatnot. That leads me to think that if the Condor is much harder I could just cut the tip off that and save myself having to build up an awkward Micarta shape and have a better cutting steel. On the flipside I wonder how much real world advantage I'd gain by having it much harder. I say that 'cos I know a SMB that uses a #2 bolted to a wooden base to make a guillotine. They use it day in day out to cut strips of cardboard to pack out boxes of mirrors. I doubt that edge has ever been sharpened but it still feels quite sharp. Cutting cardboard in bulk isn't something I'd expect a really soft blade like the #2 has to be good at, but it works. Back to where I started, and perhaps I'm better keeping the headroom for the toughness just in case. Grrr, loops.
ac46423.gif

Thanks for the reviews on one of my favorite blade types. Whilst chopping is important I like versatility and the Farmer looks to be a real winner.

After several generations of design, it's no surprise the handle design of the valiant and condor are tops.

Any chance of a head to head versus HI khukris?

I only have two HI khukris, a 17" Chiruwa Ang Khola and a 15" Chitlangi. The Chitlangi is so pretty, I just have it on display. The CAK is quite a chopper. In my experience, khukris are great for chopping, but a bit heavy for slashing vegetation. Goloks are more machete-like. Mmmmmmachetes. A good machete is hard to beat. :D

Thank's for the Excellent review and all the picture's Horn Dog, I got my Dangerous Curves on Order and just got an E-Mail from David Today saying It's well on It's way to being done, The David Farmer DC will be DFarmer Blade # 5, I've never seen better Edge's on any Knive's I've ever bought, David Farmer Knive's have "The Cutting Edge" In Knife/Blade Performance, I'm going for his 17 + Inch Long Total, 12" + Blade Length Hog Hunter Next !

If you look on page # 5 In this Topic you'll see some New Chopper Style Blade's David Farmer Is Working on that arent on his Web-Site yet, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654759&highlight=Hog+Hunter&page=5

Thanks, Doc. I'm finding Farmer's stuff ... very interesting.;)

I just checked out Valiant's website and noticed that they are based in Australia. How much did they charge to ship your Golok to the US. I like the Medium Survival Golok...plus a bunch of their Filipino swords.

I just checked out Valiant's website and noticed that they are based in Australia. How much did they charge to ship your Golok to the US. I like the Medium Survival Golok...plus a bunch of their Filipino swords.

I forgot exactly. Maybe $20 or so. You can get the info from them. I insured mine.

Thanks, Doc. I'm finding Farmer's stuff ... very interesting.;)

Your Welcome OldPhysics, Picture's dont do a DFarmer Knife justice, It's when you hold one of his Knive's In Hand that you Feel The Balance & Perfection, I've got a small collection of his Knive's building up, The 1 1/2" Wooden Slat's In this picture give you a size reference but the Top one Is the Side Arm 13 3/8" Total with an 8" Blade, The Dangerous Curves I got coming has a 15 Total, and a 10" Blade so I know It's gonna be a Great Cutter/Chopper cuz this Side Arm at 8" of Blade Is a Cutting/Chopping machine, The Hog Hunter I have on Order Is 17" + Total with a 12" + Blade, And a little thicker In Steel It's gonna Dwarf this Side Arm In the picture, You cant go wrong with a DFArmer Made Knife,

1zqpp1z.jpg

I got the feeling this New DFarmer Style Knife Is gonna be a Great BackWood's Cutting/Chopping Style Bush Country Blade,

214uryw.jpg

Last edited:

Here's a Web-Site that Deal's In Traditionl Filipino Style Weapon's there not Valiant's but there Real Nice Knive's Made In the Philippines, They have a Huge selection of Blade Style's click on each picture for Detail's of the Knife, And there Based In the Good Ol USA, :thumbup: http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/sandata.html

I wonder if those are of the quality the Valiants are. I am very impressed with my Valient golok. The Farmer Dangerous Curves is nice, too. I would like to see a really big chopper from him.

Back