Recommendation? Good first Busse for camp/outdoors tasks?

I totally agree. I held out on buying one because I wasn't sure about the he handle, then ordered one when the INFI version was released. A couple months later (but before I got mine) I got my hands on one and knew I had made the right decision. I don't have a TGLB, but I'm guessing the Ratweiler is heavier, however that's going to vary depending on the model of Rat you have.
Yeah. I have both the 1/4" and 3/16" versions of the SR101 Ratweiler and for some reason even being thinner and lighter, to me the 3/16" version doesn't seem to give up any real noticeable chopping ability. I'm assuming the slightly thinner grind makes up for it's lack of mass. If I had to choose one of the two I'd go with the thinner version.

Nobody who has recommended the Dog Soldier 8 has led you astray.

As an entry level camp tool, there is nothing that is not right with this knife. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure that such a masterpiece of cutlery can be accurately described as "entry level." That thing destroys all those blades mentioned on the internet's "Best Survival Knives" lists. When you say "entry level," I think of some kind of cheap Chinese Rambo Knife knockoff, or maybe a Mora, at best.

Nobody who has recommended the Dog Soldier 8 has led you astray.

As an entry level camp tool, there is nothing that is not right with this knife. :thumbsup:

She’s sweet alright! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure that such a masterpiece of cutlery can be accurately described as "entry level." That thing destroys all those blades mentioned on the internet's "Best Survival Knives" lists. When you say "entry level," I think of some kind of cheap Chinese Rambo Knife knockoff, or maybe a Mora, at best.
Agreed!

This too:

Welcome to der madness. Many good choices abound, and please investigate the Busse Bad Mojo website. Not official Bussekin site, but chock full of info, especially the older models. Good luck in your future choices. Yes, there will be more than one Bussekin in your life. And please don't ignore the Swamp Rat, and Scrapyard offerings.

And many great used deals appear on the BF Exchange page with great regularity. I purchased a used Battle Rat, with sheath, for $200 a couple of years back. Think that type of Swamp Rat would suit your needs nicely. Just an example, (it's not for sale). And bottom knife in pic. Think the one above is a Camp Tramp? Good luck, and watch that money outflow...;-)
fy1zfd.jpg

I THOUGHT that might be your recommendation.:rolleyes:.......................................................................................:D

I’ve been called worse.:D

Can’t take credit for the B8, other than irritating Jerry into finally releasing it. And the HOGB8 is all Stump Buster’s baby.:thumbsup::cool:

I admit I do take some parental pride in the War Feather variant.:D

Last edited:
I was extolling the R6, and I got this R7 to "replace" that blade when Nitaino put this one up...I needed to fill that void, and it does, and I actually love the handle configuration. It gives great purchase in the choked up on choil positioning...little bigger and choppier (and heavier) than the R6 with basically the same knife-like benefits...the R6 stands alone in my mind still...

I've never seen an NMSFNO at a price I could swing, but it's a gorgeous, iconic knife and certainly seems like a good fit. :thumbsup:

As I've been perusing models (and threads), I've been homing in on the BG ASH-1, which often gets mentioned specifically as an all-rounder -- maybe not the best chopper, or the best small-chores knife, but flexible enough to do both. And it has the look that drew me to start looking at Busses in the first place; it makes my heart sing in a way some do not. :D

That would be a good first choice. Since one can only anticipate what they may need a knife for, the middle ground is the way to go. Think some may get too caught up in the chopper aspect of usage, and forget the more mundane knife chores associated with camping.

Also depends upon your topography. Used to do some backwoods camping. Pre Busse days, and only carried a six inch Gerber, along with an inexpensive Salvadoran full length machete for hacking through brush. Got along fine. But other more hardy tasks, like shelter construction, would require something heavier. Takes some thought, of course. Get that BG ASH1 and go from there.

Last edited:
Yes Dadpool, many choices. The Busse Mothership could have stopped the introduction of new models ten years ago, and a nearly overwhelming amount of choices would still exist. Any of the models mentioned here would make a fine introduction for you. And may be a tad small for your intended tasks, but think nearly all of us have at least one RMD. It was my gateway to this addiction. Followed by Skinny ASH1. Good luck.
It was mine, as well. I still love the RMD!

And the ASH1’s making your “heart” sing? Know what you mean. I have fourteen of them - I think. Well, at least 13, but less than Andy.

Back