Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

It looks like a nice, well made folder. The edge controversy reminds me of the book titled " The Emporer's New Clothes". It is what you believe it to be.

Just received the DLC Dua today...oh, man- what a knife. Surprised to hell that it was shaving sharp, particularly along the belly. That was the first thing that I tried after taking it out of its bubble wrap bag. Mixed results after cutting up some paper and card-stock. Sometimes the blade would catch and tear and at times, it would just slice through. Sharpest section of blade seems to be around the belly and nearing the front. Spotty cutting on the back side.

Looking straight on at the knife, the edge is consistently, uneven and when tilting the the blade away from the viewer, slight undulations can be seen. The high points of which I'm hoping can be sharpened down to the low points. Will use the knife and let natural progression dictate instead of forcing it.

The Dua feels good in the hand, nice balance when resting the knife's forefinger grove on the trigger finger. No noticeable hot spots initially; will have to wait till used in more stressful situations to be conclusive.

Fit and finish...aside from the obvious...is dead on:
  • matching slabs- they line up all around
  • slightly beveled inside edges
  • consistent screw head protrusion from frame surface
  • zero or minimal evidence of machining overall, even on the jimping and cutout of frame lock to allow for tension
  • even application of DLC finish
  • the stealth, dark, dlc coating is really something to behold in person
  • no scuffs or extraneous marks from manufacturer
  • subtle, hairline etched branding and steel type
  • appears to have bronze washers
  • no shiny points on edge, edge bevels meet head on

Points of particular notice:
  • entire knife came with a light coating of oil that I preferred to be wipe off, can be seen as light spots in some of the pictures
  • forefinger grove does have the machining marks, but very fine- unlike the Sage 2
  • it sticks a bit when opening
  • opens quite smoothly now, but a break-in period will help it's cause

It's an awesome knife! It will most definitely be in my 3" rotation. Don't have any reservations about scuffing it up, not going to baby it- especially with that working edge.

Great 1st impressions dark impaler. Super nice example of the Dua in every aspect. Congratulations on your new folder! :thumbup: :D

i just got the knife from striderco and the edge is rough but it looks like it is a well made knife overall. i found a spot on my arm with a little bit of hair and it took off a few but it was rough going. i think they used at least a a 60 grit belt running slow and probably a 1x. the waves are probably from the seam going by but its just a guess since i dont have a 1x.

i drew the edge over my thumbnail and it bites in and you can feel the wavyness in the edge. i'm curious to see what the slotted wheel does to the edge before i resharpen it. i think i'll cut some cardboard first before touching the edge to anything.

i just got the knife from striderco and the edge is rough but it looks like it is a well made knife overall. i found a spot on my arm with a little bit of hair and it took off a few but it was rough going. i think they used at least a a 60 grit belt running slow and probably a 1x. the waves are probably from the seam going by but its just a guess since i dont have a 1x.

i drew the edge over my thumbnail and it bites in and you can feel the wavyness in the edge. i'm curious to see what the slotted wheel does to the edge before i resharpen it. i think i'll cut some cardboard first before touching the edge to anything.
This sounds like a different type of serration than what one usually finds. Unlike most serrated blades, the serrations are on both sides of the bevel. And they are small. When this gets dull I think it will take a lot more material removal to return it to sharp than a conventional plain edge takes. It is good to hear of something new on man's oldest tool.

Hey Richard! No batoning wood with it please! lol! Cant wait to see your full report!! Glad to see another pleased Grayman owner! Marcinek I really think you should get a Dua! :D

after looking at the edge again i missed something. there was no way for it to have been done on a belt sander. there are individual lines from a coarse abrasive that are pretty straight and spaced. it had to be done by hand and possibly on something grooved covered in abrasive to give it the waved edge.

i know better than baton a folder :D. i was going to cut some cardboard but decided not to since it might mark the blade. if i cut anything it might be paper.

the pictures i took are of the existing edge. i'm going to run the existing edge over the slotted wheel to see what it does before i put a new edge on it. anyone wanting the pictures can send me an email.

the pictures i took are of the existing edge. i'm going to run the existing edge over the slotted wheel to see what it does before i put a new edge on it. anyone wanting the pictures can send me an email.

DOOHHHH! We already know what it looks like Ricardo. We wanna see it when you're done buddy. :p

I agree! Get those wheels spinning and commence to sharpening! I want to see reflections in that edge grind!

ok. it now has a new edge. it took quite some time to get the wavy grooves out so i would say it has a really good heat treat and should hold an edge a long time. i do think the edge they put on it is not a good one for the general public. they need to have a basic edge for the general public.

i would be curious to know what soldiers would think if they had 2 knives to compare (1 knife i sharpened) since they already like the knife the way it is now.

WTF? We've been through all of this. :yawn:
Patience, Grasshopper. The after pics will come in due time.

I like Richard's idea of letting Grayman users compare the factory "working edge" with a traditional sharp edge. We on this forum have to bear in mind that a lot of folks have never really used a truly sharp knife, so they do not know what they have been missing.

Back