Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

yeah, I just didn't want to be proven wrong after finding out his entire jawline is a callous and he has no feeling in his face, lol.

Paper wheels will fix that edge for shure...

That, or an angle grinder. :D

Only kidding striderco! I look forward to seeing how this all turns out.

I actually like the way the knife came! I would have just kept them the way they are if Richard J's Spa hadnt offered to put a "normal" killer, long lasting, hair poppin paper wheel edge on her! Going to the po soon so we ll see what the RJ Spa can do with one of these bad boys! And depending on the outcome I might send my 2nd Dua to the RJ Spa?! Grayman sent me a t shirt along with my second Dua. You guys have got to get one of these! They re great!! Definitely get some looks while wearing! LOL :D

http://graymanknives.com/store.html

Scroll to the bottom left and look for DTAQ T shirts! I got a black one! Love it!

Grayman sent me a t shirt along with my second Dua. You guys have got to get one of these! They re great!! Definitely get some looks while wearing! LOL :D

Are the sleeves, collar, and bottom of the shirt neatly hemmed/sewn, or do they have a frayed, stringy, "working" edge? :D

My beadblast version Dua is in the mail off to the Richard J Spa! Getting the full package special! Deep tissue massage, hot stone therapy and a manicure and pedicure! And hopefully we ll get a happy ending!! :D

I talked to Mike about that edge a couple weeks ago. Told him it'd jump out at people on a knife so well-made elsewhere. It's deliberate, and he believes it's a better working edge for a general hard-use environment.

When I worked with the one I have here, it cut manila rope & several cardboard boxes quite well, among other things. It'd remove hair from my arm before I started trying it out, not as well after it was well-used, but it was still cutting cardboard just as efficiently.

I'm personally not a firm believer in a razor edge on a knife that'll be used in the field for tough chores. :)
I'll re-sharpen it myself, with an Arkansas stone. It'll be a finer edge than it came with, but I won't hone it with ceramics to take it that extra bit further.

My everyday Spidercos have a honed edge, but they don't see hard use.
The Dua's growing on me, it might replace one of the Spidies. :)
If you can get past the edge, it's a nice knife.
Denis

Little bit bummed to see that as I was quite keen on this smaller version of the monster framelock he had out earlier on, the Satu. I would not buy a knife with an edge like that. Pure laziness if you ask me. I dont buy this business of soldiers needing something with a crappy edge. Its been proven time and again a plain edge properly sharpened knife is the way to go UNLESS you are in a very specific environment and need to cut ropes in a hurry, in which case a serrated or part serrated knife is preferred. I would imagine soldiers would do a lot more with knives than just cut ropes. Its a shame because otherwise it seems like a cool knife at a very good price.

Finally after all this another Dua owner!! I feel pretty much the same as Dpris! Although I am having one of my Duas worked on at the RJ Spa with a more traditional edge as kind of an experiment for comparison. I do plan on keeping my other Dua as it came, with its original Grayman edge! I kind of look at it as like art. Its Graymans creation and what he believes in and I respect that. And it does rip things to shreds! We will see soon how it does with the before and after report from RJ's Spa!!!

When I worked with the one I have here, it cut manila rope & several cardboard boxes quite well, among other things. It'd remove hair from my arm before I started trying it out, not as well after it was well-used, but it was still cutting cardboard just as efficiently.

I'm personally not a firm believer in a razor edge on a knife that'll be used in the field for tough chores. :)
I'll re-sharpen it myself, with an Arkansas stone. It'll be a finer edge than it came with, but I won't hone it with ceramics to take it that extra bit further.

I agree with you to an extent. But it's not the refinement of an edge that determines it's durability...it's the amount of steel behind the edge. If one was somehow able to measure the edge angle of that Grayman, and then make a mirror polished grind with the same edge angle, the durabilty is going to be comparable (in fact, I believe the polished one will be more durable due to it not having all those serrations to lose).

Striderco, you get that richard j polished edge on that sucker and you will get it. This whole "sloppy working edge" silliness will go away. Make sure you learn how to maintain that edge though!

It's probably worth noting that I am no sharpening fanatic. I get the feeling those fellas haven't even felt that Grayman's edge is worth commenting upon.

There you go....look at the "Holy Mother of Folders!!!! ...... Demko strikes again!!!!" thread that's up in the General Knife Discussion Forum.

That thing is a monster. A tank. And you can see yourself in the edge. Must not be a "working" knife. It's for opening letters and slicing brie cheese.

As always, sarcasm has to rear it's oogly head. :)
Different preferences for different people.
Personally, I couldn't care less if I can see myself in the edge, or any other part of the blade. It's not, in itself, any indicator of real quality on a user knife to me. :)
Some of us just don't mind the way the Dua comes, some will modify it slightly, some will modify it further, and some won't buy it at all.

In the meantime, the world spinneth uninterrupted...
Denis

The Dua's growing on me, it might replace one of the Spidies. :)
If you can get past the edge, it's a nice knife.
Denis

Agreed. Excellent point. Who cares about the edge of a knife anyway....it has no effect on a knife's performance.

<Now there's sarcasm! :)>

There you go....look at the "Holy Mother of Folders!!!! ...... Demko strikes again!!!!" thread that's up in the General Knife Discussion Forum.

That thing is a monster. A tank. And you can see yourself in the edge. Must not be a "working" knife. It's for opening letters and slicing brie cheese.

Sad thing is - that's probably what it will be used for. :p

Certainly is. :)
I've used the Dua, have you?
Denis

<snarkiness self-deleted>

No I have not. And since no one has "sold" me on the logic of that edge, I guess I will not.

Obviously people seem to like it...so more power to Grayman. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Marcinek like I said before, Wally world prob has some shiny, sharp, polished Gerbers just waiting for you!! Dont forget to pick up a sharpening stone so you can practice your sharpening skills! Who knows maybe you ll end up with a toothy, working edge and you will love it! Then you can set up a shop and start Marcinek Knives!

Just received the DLC Dua today...oh, man- what a knife. Surprised to hell that it was shaving sharp, particularly along the belly. That was the first thing that I tried after taking it out of its bubble wrap bag. Mixed results after cutting up some paper and card-stock. Sometimes the blade would catch and tear and at times, it would just slice through. Sharpest section of blade seems to be around the belly and nearing the front. Spotty cutting on the back side.

Looking straight on at the knife, the edge is consistently, uneven and when tilting the the blade away from the viewer, slight undulations can be seen. The high points of which I'm hoping can be sharpened down to the low points. Will use the knife and let natural progression dictate instead of forcing it.

The Dua feels good in the hand, nice balance when resting the knife's forefinger grove on the trigger finger. No noticeable hot spots initially; will have to wait till used in more stressful situations to be conclusive.

Fit and finish...aside from the obvious...is dead on:
  • matching slabs- they line up all around
  • slightly beveled inside edges
  • consistent screw head protrusion from frame surface
  • zero or minimal evidence of machining overall, even on the jimping and cutout of frame lock to allow for tension
  • even application of DLC finish
  • the stealth, dark, dlc coating is really something to behold in person
  • no scuffs or extraneous marks from manufacturer
  • subtle, hairline etched branding and steel type
  • appears to have bronze washers
  • no shiny points on edge, edge bevels meet head on

Points of particular notice:
  • entire knife came with a light coating of oil that I preferred to be wipe off, can be seen as light spots in some of the pictures
  • forefinger grove does have the machining marks, but very fine- unlike the Sage 2
  • it sticks a bit when opening
  • opens quite smoothly now, but a break-in period will help it's cause

It's an awesome knife! It will most definitely be in my 3" rotation. Don't have any reservations about scuffing it up, not going to baby it- especially with that working edge.

grayman13.jpg

grayman14.jpg

grayman2.jpg

grayman1.jpg

grayman10.jpg

grayman8.jpg

grayman9.jpg

grayman7.jpg

grayman5.jpg

grayman3.jpg

grayman4.jpg

grayman11.jpg