Gso 6 vs 5.1

GSO 6 because of the lack of choil. I'd carry one everyday if it were legal out here.

I personally do not really mind whether a knife in the high 5" to 6" range has a choil or not. But i ended up settling with a 6 because it just looks far to beautiful aesthetically. + an extra .25" blade length can be handy.

But i think once i get the chance i will also purchase a 5.1 in the opposite steel to my 6.

I dont think you could go wrong either way though...
I think both serve as a perfect blade length and one tool option no matter which you choose.

The 6 is (i think) about .25" longer than the 5.1 and has no choil. Besides that there is no real difference. And practically there shouldnt be any performance difference either really.

It really comes down to choil or no choil

The 6 is (i think) about .25" longer than the 5.1 and has no choil. Besides that there is no real difference. And practically there shouldnt be any performance difference either really.

It really comes down to choil or no choil

I'm going to agree with my friend Xtian here. He pretty much took the words right out of my mouth!

I've never had the pleasure of handling an old spec 6, but I've been told it has a very neutral balance. That makes it ideal for me and helps me avoid the choil of the 5.1.

Last edited:
I say 6. Id rather have the extra blade length than choil. Plus like these others say, it just looks so nice. This is old spec #02. Red liners, black linnen, carbon fiber etc.
1af71d0b0d89102f1d0487f1832e7ef6.jpg
3409137ef0867cc1d12029e12f7a7147.jpg
f3d1855011397d65f37a601c6aad30c8.jpg
a1d4ffdf91aaec505348cf367f3068f7.jpg

jamtgagar@gmail.com

If you were to get all S!k go with the necker II, 3.5, 4.7. 6, 8, and 12. This way you have adequate blade lengths to cover.
I had a 4.7 and 5.1 the some point but I ended up selling the 5.1 since the sharpened edge is comparable. If 4.7 is the Ratmandu killer then 6 is the fallkniven A1 Pro killer.

with the new handle And delta heat treat I have no idea how the new spec gso 6 can be improved
It may be the ultimate midsize knife

Go with the 5.1 because choil's are cool and these choil haters are crazy [emoji2]
Seriously though I like the way the choil looks but jamtga has an awesome rig up there so I can't argue with that. I think it really does come down to your personal preference... If you, like me, think choils are cool, then there you go. They'll both do the same jobs like a boss

with the new handle And delta heat treat I have no idea how the new spec gso 6 can be improved
It may be the ultimate midsize knife
Maybe softer jimping for my dainty thumbs :D
Personal preference and easily remedied!

Go with the 5.1 because choil's are cool and these choil haters are crazy [emoji2]
Seriously though I like the way the choil looks but jamtga has an awesome rig up there so I can't argue with that. I think it really does come down to your personal preference... If you, like me, think choils are cool, then there you go. They'll both do the same jobs like a boss
Uh huh, yeah, ok, have fun cutting your index finger off :p

Really though, we'll stated. I can't have too much of an attitude because looking at the old spec line up, the choil lovers helped the 5.1 become arguably the most popular model and the 6 is relatively rarely spoken of!

Jam, that might be the best looking 6nove ever seen. I love carbon fiber so much. Great work on the handle and sheath rig :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey Silver how are you finding your 4.7 now that you have had it for a while? Any updates or thoughts since your initial review?

Who has cut their index finger off with a 5.1 choil Silver? Pictures or it didn't happen as you often say- Plus I have to hear that story if it has happened.
I like the looks of the 6 better but that choil does what it's supposed to, give a little better control for certain cuts and take some pressure off my wrists while doing those cuts.
Lots of other brand's choils are marginal at best i.e. Esee 4 comes to mind, too shallow and not wide enough so it contacts your finger with the cutting edge.
Would like to have a 6 in the family but as you said they are harder to come by and usually a little pricey.

Thanks everyone. And i agree, the 6 is alot harder to find than 5.1 and normally more expensive. This one being #02, was expensive. Then i made all that stuff. But thanks guys.
b310e315e49b1c8f68301f5235f82224.jpg

jamtgagar@gmail.com

Hey Silver how are you finding your 4.7 now that you have had it for a while? Any updates or thoughts since your initial review?
You're right! That's not very cool of me to not be updating.

Anyways, I looooove the 4.7. The size and handle and jimping mod make it absolutely my favorite knife. It's been seeing medium wood processing and fire prep all of August and into this month. The blade size and handle ergonomics are just perfect. I have yet to sharpen it as it can still take a little hair from my arm. When it ceases to do that then I'll give it a good stropping.

Who has cut their index finger off with a 5.1 choil Silver? Pictures or it didn't happen as you often say- Plus I have to hear that story if it has happened.
I like the looks of the 6 better but that choil does what it's supposed to, give a little better control for certain cuts and take some pressure off my wrists while doing those cuts.
Lots of other brand's choils are marginal at best i.e. Esee 4 comes to mind, too shallow and not wide enough so it contacts your finger with the cutting edge.
Would like to have a 6 in the family but as you said they are harder to come by and usually a little pricey.
Haha! You got me! Hopefully everyone saw my emojis in my response to American.

Sounds like the choil is working for you, glad to hear it!

Awesome, glade to hear :)!
I am stuck with the dreading question alot are facing...4.7 or 5.1 :eek:
I have such an indecisive mind. I wish i could handle both first. It would make things so much easier

Awesome, glade to hear :)!
I am stuck with the dreading question alot are facing...4.7 or 5.1 :eek:
I have such an indecisive mind. I wish i could handle both first. It would make things so much easier

That is a tough call!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but you don't live in North America, do you?

That is a tough call!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but you don't live in North America, do you?

Nope, i am from down under - Australia haha

I am struggling to determine if the 4.7 will be to small or the 5.1 is to large.
And then the 4.1 also lingers in my mind.
Oh the decisions!

Ps have you decided if youlike your 5 or 4.7 more? I know you were struggling with that decision :D

Back